The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 02-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
sharky~
Out Run Master!

Phantasy Star Online 2 tidbits

Didn't see this posted.

Quote:
We're all stuck playing the waiting game as we jump at any tiny bit of information or news on Phantasy Star Online 2. Well, a little bit of info came to light recently. Don't jump too high, though! We may have a few more months to go before real news starts to surface.

From the most recent issue of Dengeki Games and via the news site Shougai PSO, an interview with Producer Sakai, Senior Director Terada and Director Suganuma has shed a little more light on PSO2

Development of PSO2 has been running alongside PSP2 Infinity, so the game is further along in development than some people likely think.
Some kind of announcement may be made around the end of April, during the finals of the Infinity Grand Prix.
PSO2 will not be set in either Ragol or Gurhal. Instead, look forward to an even larger setting with numerous planets as indicated by the game's logo.

Quote:
Phantasy Star Online 2 Alpha Test This Summer!

Earlier today in Japan at the "Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity Nationwide Fan Thanks Festival 2011 sponsored by Caloriemate," SonicTeam announced that the alpha test for Phantasy Star Online 2 will begin this summer!

Entry into the test will not be open; instead, all participants will be selected by lottery. And your first chance at putting your name into the drawing will be by purchasing Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity, which will be released in Japan on February 24.

The first printings of the game will include a special code inside the box as designated by a yellow sticker on the outside of the case. This code is required to enter yourself into the alpha test drawing. Keep in mind that only the UMD release of PSP2i will feature this code; the download version will not include the code.

Furthermore, Japanese Phantasy Star Universe and previously-subscribed Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst players will have a chance at getting into the test, as codes will be distributed to them, too. Specific details on this method of code distribution will be made public at a later date.
http://www.pso-world.com/

PSO changing music returns, was absent from PSU.
Quote:
“Shougai uncovered a small tidbit about the music for Phantasy Star Online 2. According to Sakai, …Of course, the BGM changes when you enter into battle (laughs)”
http://bumped.org/psublog/psp2i-nati...d-impressions/

Old 02-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Seraph
>:3

Man I subscribed to Blue Burst for a few months, I want an alpha code too!
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
GrantXP

Praying this will be good, also praying for a console release!
Grant's latest reviews - Click Here Latest Review: Bioshock (Xbox 360)
GrantXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
SuperAngelo64
Hourglass

Didn't see any other PSO2 threads, so I thought I'd bump this one by saying the game is really awesome and is a blast to play.
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Alucard

Brief comparison to the previous one plz.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

I figure it was you who bumped this Angelo.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
SuperAngelo64
Hourglass

Brief comparison:

If you're wanting a great big MMO, then you won't like this. It's still a 'lobby' game like Diablo and the previous installment.

Superficially, the game looks beautiful, and there are tons of visual customization options. Characters and monsters move much more fluidly than the stiff animations in PSO. The music is much more like PSO than PSU with a very dissonant atmosphere and feel as opposed to the more upbeat and plucky sounds of PSU.

As for combat, it's obviously the bread and butter of the game and even in this very early build it feels very polished and is very fun. It takes the good 'twitch' factors of PSU a step further with things like dashes, dodge rolls, evades, manual blocking, counters, and timed combo bonuses. There is no accuracy and evasion stats in this game. If you get hit, you get hit. You can however choose to be more proficient with certain skills that help reduce of avoid damage, for example you can plug skill points into an ability that lengthens the mount of frames you are invulnerable while evading.

Here's the first skill tree you get as a Hunter, for an example: http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/x...rskilltree.png

There is not a mode called 'TPS' mode which is very advantageous for Rangers. It basically turns PSO's combat into an over-the-shoulder game with a crosshair in the center of the screen. As a result I found that playing melee was much easier with a controller due to the analog positioning, while playing a gunner was easier on a keyboard and mouse.

If you're expecting a game where you can sit back and min max your macros with a giant hotbar, you're not going to like PSO2. Combat is very, very streamlined and very fast.

This game is most likely not coming to any consoles. This is bad in the sense that it alienates a fair chunk of it's fanbase, but very good in the sense that updates will come more quickly, and it will be just that much easier to remedy exploits and bugs that ran rampant through previous installments.

If anyone wants to know anything else just ask away.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
Nem
Awakening

That screenshot wins me over.

If its free and fun i will give it a try.

Angelo, werent you gonna play TERA though? I find hard to believe this will be an experience as complete as TERA.

How does the game flow? Is it like PSO in the sense that you keep repeating the same areas to grind/lvl up, or is there a quest system and a story (ala PSzero on the DS)?

Also is there any special content at max level/endgame? Or do the levels just go from normal > hard > very hard?
Old 02-06-2012, 02:55 AM   #9
SuperAngelo64
Hourglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
That screenshot wins me over.

If its free and fun i will give it a try.

Angelo, werent you gonna play TERA though? I find hard to believe this will be an experience as complete as TERA.

How does the game flow? Is it like PSO in the sense that you keep repeating the same areas to grind/lvl up, or is there a quest system and a story (ala PSzero on the DS)?

Also is there any special content at max level/endgame? Or do the levels just go from normal > hard > very hard?
I'm still on board for TERA... but there are a few things in TERA that I wanted to be implemented that have yet to be seen and will probably never be in (analog movement, character customization, etc). TERA is also an MMO, and PSO2 isn't an MMO; it's an online RPG.

As for quests, the game is in an alpha state... meaning we were literally just there to test the combat mechanics and server load. While there are missions with objectives (i.e. kill the boss, or kill 20 of a certain type of enemy, or 'protect the fort'), I didn't see anything very story heavy which is again because it's such an early build of the game. We only got to play on two 'map sets', forest and volcano. but each time you do a mission the terrain is completely randomized, meaning you'll never really do the 'same' mission again.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
Nem
Awakening

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAngelo64 View Post
I'm still on board for TERA... but there are a few things in TERA that I wanted to be implemented that have yet to be seen and will probably never be in (analog movement, character customization, etc). TERA is also an MMO, and PSO2 isn't an MMO; it's an online RPG.

As for quests, the game is in an alpha state... meaning we were literally just there to test the combat mechanics and server load. While there are missions with objectives (i.e. kill the boss, or kill 20 of a certain type of enemy, or 'protect the fort'), I didn't see anything very story heavy which is again because it's such an early build of the game. We only got to play on two 'map sets', forest and volcano. but each time you do a mission the terrain is completely randomized, meaning you'll never really do the 'same' mission again.
OK, we'll see what else they add to it. Its still early in development it seems.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:53 AM   #11
Alucard

So the game isnt out? I thought it was since you brought it up. So basically so far its pretty much light the previous game just prettier right?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #12
SuperAngelo64
Hourglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
So basically so far its pretty much light the previous game just prettier right?
Old 02-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAngelo64 View Post
I'm being serious,. The way you talk about it sounds like its pretty much the same as the first with only a few changes. So I'm wondering if thats true. Or does the actual feel of the game feel totally different, like comparing the first PSO on the dreamcast and then the follow up that came after which was more fluid in its combo attacks and better level design. Is it a noticable large change in most parts or more of an upgrade.

Example, Everquest 1 and 2, play the same, but are 100% completely different in every single aspect.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Alucard it is a lobby game. You really just sit there in a lobby and talk with people. That has pretty much been my experience with this series. I mean the PC BB version was a litttle better in that you had people that actually wanted to play the game. In my opinion game is fun if you can find serious people who want to fuckin get down and not sit in a fuckin lobby and chat. I mean seriously I would go in on what PSU and try to find someone to play with and they would act like i'm the fuckin noob because I wanted to play.

Regardless that screen shot looks fucking awesome and I am tempted, but fuck that I don't believe that shit. Sega should be going after Monster Hunter and it doesn't seem like they are doing that with this.

Zechin
Old 02-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #15
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

From Neogaf lol

No troll.

Zechin