The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 10-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Yep, Apple Killed The CD Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/20/a-compact-death/

Yep, Apple Killed The CD Today
MG Siegler
19 hours ago

Stop. Take a deep breath. Before my headline gets you all worked up, consider what I’m saying here. The CD and other optical discs, like DVDs and Blu-rays, are obviously going to live on for a while as a way to transport media. But make no mistake that today, with two unveilings, Apple has effectively sealed the fate of the optical disc in the computer industry. Soon, it will go the way of the floppy disk.

Last week, I wrote a post laying out what I hoped Apple would bring with a revamped MacBook Air. I came to the realization that I had never once used the optical drive in my current MacBook Pro, and it was simply taking up a lot of space and was making my computer unnecessarily bulky. I wanted to replace it with a MacBook Air. And now I can. And I’m not going to be the only one that does.

Now, I know what you’re thinking: but the MacBook Air has been around for a couple of years and it hasn’t killed off the optical disc yet. That’s true, but a couple key ingredients were missing the last time around.

First of all, the first-generation Airs were a bad combination of underpowered and overpriced. That is no longer the case. Second, they required some convoluted desktop computer CD syncing system to be able to install something from an optical disc to the Air (or an optional USB add-on). That is also no longer the case (though both still exists).

When you get your MacBook Air and you open the box, you will find exactly zero optical discs inside. Normally, Apple includes at least one back-up DVD to reinstall OS X and other software if your computer fails. But now, that has been replaced with a super-slim USB stick. This stick, packed in with your manual, is all you need to reinstall your system now.

This makes a lot of sense. CDs were replaced by DVDs because they offered a lot more storage. But flash memory cards, such as the one Apple includes with the Air, are already blowing DVDs out of the water when it comes to storage. They may still be more expensive to produce, but Apple has clearly figured out a way to make it work. I suspect we may see more drives like this one (which use much less plastic than typical USB flash drives — and appear to even use less plastic than optical discs).

But that’s only one half of the future.

The other half is a potentially much bigger announcement Apple made today: the Mac App Store. While Apple didn’t give a ton of details yet, it appears that this store will work pretty much just as their App Store does on the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. There will be free and paid apps. There will be one-click downloads. There will be automatic updates. All that.

What there won’t be are any optical discs.

Up until now, the vast majority of software (at least the legal variety) has been distributed by way of CD or DVD. The Mac App Store could very well change that. Every app found on that store, undoubtedly including the big ones we all know and love and use on our computers today, will be distributed over the Internet. This is long overdue.

Plenty of companies have tried Internet distribution for a long time. Some have success, and some don’t. But none have the type of central repository that Apple is offering here. This is going to be huge.

If it sounds similar to what Google is working on with the Chrome Web Store, or what Mozilla is proposing with their Open Web Ecosystem, remember that those are only web apps. We’re talking native applications for the Mac App Store. We’re talking apps that run on your computer, just like you have now, they’re just distributed in a way that makes a lot more sense.

They’re distributed in a way that makes the CD, DVD, and every other optical disc obsolete. And that’s good, since soon the optical drives will start to fade out of existence as well.

With the launch of the iTunes Music Store seven and a half years ago, Apple put the wheels in motion to kill the CD. Today, they kicked off their final assault. There will be no survivors.
Interesting. Donno if others will soon take this step (ditching CDs in leiu of cheap thumbdrives) but this totally makes sense for laptops without optical drives, which seem to be gaining ground on laptops with opticals.

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

A lot of Laptop manufactures have dropped System CDs in their packages. At least the laptops I sell. At least with Apple you get a flash drive. The other guys make you burn your own CDs.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Last week, I wrote a post laying out what I hoped Apple would bring with a revamped MacBook Air. I came to the realization that I had never once used the optical drive in my current MacBook Pro, and it was simply taking up a lot of space and was making my computer unnecessarily bulky.
Ha ha, I remember when the MacBook Air was announced and I was the only person on these forums who could comprehend that some people don’t mind losing functionality they barely use for portability.

It reminds me too well of other things like removing the GBA slot from the DS, or even the GB Micro not playing GBC games.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Shorty0061
Shorty the Butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
Ha ha, I remember when the MacBook Air was announced and I was the only person on these forums who could comprehend that some people don’t mind losing functionality they barely use for portability.

It reminds me too well of other things like removing the GBA slot from the DS, or even the GB Micro not playing GBC games.
adding on to that, lately, at least from what I've been noticing, there's been a huge subculture of mac owners that take their MacBooks (or Pros) and remove the optical drive themselves and replace it with a second HDD or SSD in the last two years.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post

GB micro only took out the GBC games cause Nintendo doesn't support them anymore, you put them in a new product to run your old stuff on, you have to leave open support for it.

Anything from the N64 and down for Nintendo is unsupported. which sucks, I was about to order some official refurbished SNES controllers from them before they stopped, luckily I got some N64 controllers before they did.

But also, the GBA slot was only taken out from the DS cause of the GBA flash carts, they were being used to hack the DS also since they couldn't update the slot.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
Dj Jimmi Zero

Still, they didn't use the GBA slot, I can only think of three games that used the vibration function for the DS and Arkanoid DS didn't come with the paddle thingy for the US. Then there is the DSLite having a vibration cart specifically made for it and it could only be bought in local Japanese retailers, online shops and from Nintendo. It sucks that when old technology is unsupported by the manufacturer, but a minority isn't going to make any business money.

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Dj Jimmi Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
laptops don't need them really, unless you watch dvds on your laptop a lot.

They just drain the batteries.

Plus you can just go out and get a external dvd drive for 30 bucks. Only bad things is you would have to lug that around.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
Wanking over Apple
No they didn't.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:32 AM   #9
spider-prime

A lot of games used the GBA slot, lots of games had transfer stuff from the GBA to the sequel game on the DS.

Guitar Hero had it's "guitar" cart which is unplayable on the DSi.

Nintendo themselves had lots of carts that used it. Pokemon GBA games for example.