The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 08-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Naoko Suki
Steak!

Questions about purchasing a Dell Alienware.

I'm not that knowledgeable with Gaming Laptops at all. Anyone wanna take a crack at this?

My cousin is wanting An M11x Alienware Laptop from Dell. (Canada)
http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-m11x/fs

Now, I was looked at the four of them, and I was thinking the 'More Power' one for $1,099. The 'Premium' one is on sale for $999, and the difference between the two is the Processor. (other than the size of the HDD, but the size doesn't matter. Contrary to popular opinion!)

The More Power's Processor is the Intelฎ CoreTM i5 520UM (1.06GHz/-1Mhz FSB/3MB cache)

and the Premium is the Intelฎ CoreTM 2 Duo SU7300 (1.3GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)

Apparently the i5 1.06 can be overclocked to a 1.866GHz. That's if I even know how to. (Can find out online.)

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=42791,47554,
That's the processor comparing charts.

I do know its an 11" screen, but anything bigger is just too expensive.

Remember this is in Canada, and has to be paid for in Canada over a long term. (Like dell has the 35$ a month things for 2 years)

I'm open for any other options as well. I've looked online at videos of how well it can perform for games that my cousin wants (MW2, Crisis, etc)

I really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Even if the cpu can be overclocked I've seen alienware laptops and they're not exactly cool to the touch, so overclocking the cpu isn't probably the best thing to do.

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Naoko Suki
Steak!

Alright! I didn't think it would be smart unless you had a freezer underneath your laptop anyways.

But cpu performance wise, is a core 2 duo better than an i5?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
Dj Jimmi Zero

If I'm not mistaken, the Core i5 and i7 processors are the successors to the vanilla single to quad core family. Core i5 and i7's are also quad core to my knowledge, AMD however, has a much cheaper six core processor, but thats for PC's, Intels parts are ridiculously expensive, not Apple expensive but close to that and an Alienware PC, while much nicer than a Mac spec wise, again is still too much. You can buy some decent laptops for gaming for half of what Dell is charging you for.

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Dj Jimmi Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Naoko Suki
Steak!

I know I can get much cheaper laptop in the US, but in Canada it's all garbage prices. Do you have any idea what Canadian websites I could go to to find a better deal? I know there's www.tigerdirect.ca, but my aunt likes to do those monthly payments instead of all on a Credit Card at once.

The two laptops I am deciding between, they're what my cousin first saw online. I'm sure if he knew if anything else he would go for it.

Editing:

Something like these? Could these play MW2 or BC2 Smoothly? I don't want him paying a load.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...031&CatId=4938
(I've seen Toshiba Satellites in Wal-Mart. Bad?)

And a list of AMD processor ones from Tiger Direct as well.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio..._727_8915_8915

I know Dell laptops are expensive as crap.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
Dj Jimmi Zero

Do you have to buy from tigerdirect? Why not just use Newegg.com, I think Spider Prime uses it, I know I do. I also found the same PC for half as much on newegg, never mind, the one you found has a better GPU, I don't think it's $1000 worthy but that laptop will easily run MW2, that game isn't exactly processor intensive.

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Naoko Suki
Steak!

Oh I didn't realize they shipped to Canada! I thought the .ca was the only one that did.

editing: The .com one doesn't ship to Canada. I can buy from newegg.ca, but it isn't as cheapo.

also, they don't have it on the .ca
Old 08-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #8
Dj Jimmi Zero

I honestly think that Spider may be able to help a bit more since he's up there in Canada as well and he's good at shopping around for prices.

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
Naoko Suki
Steak!

Alright Thank you for your help!

I'm still digging around for prices as well. Hoping I find something to bite on.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Does it need to be AlienWare? Sager gaming notebooks give you more power for the same price. They are really beefy. But their physical design (the case) isn't as fancy as Alienware's.

Don't know if they ship to Canadaland, but I buy mine from here: http://www.xoticpc.com
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:48 PM   #11
Naoko Suki
Steak!

Let me check them out! No it definitely doesn't have to be alien ware. Only reason is because it has its own monthly billing plan that's easier for him to make payments on.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:49 PM   #12
Alucard

I'll have a look later but those two laptops you linked are kinda painful spec wise. What sort of laptop are you after? I mean I know you want it for gaming, but lets say what size screen would you be happy with, what amount of money are you planning to spend max etc. Give me an idea of what to recommend.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #13
Naoko Suki
Steak!

Yeah they are kinda bad for what I've seen now from eastx.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7110-...0m-p-2854.html

I'm checking that one out, and I like it!

Sorry I was so bare on specifications.

My cousin was happy with the 11" for some reason. But I think a 13" or a 15" max would be perfect. The one he was planning to get was just a nick over $1k for the 11". So I'd say 1000 to be the most. It doesn't have to be perfect, but at least he can have fun on it without playing 14fps. Is the one I posted in this reply alright?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:32 AM   #14
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoko Suki View Post
Yeah they are kinda bad for what I've seen now from eastx.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7110-...0m-p-2854.html

I'm checking that one out, and I like it!

Sorry I was so bare on specifications.

My cousin was happy with the 11" for some reason. But I think a 13" or a 15" max would be perfect. The one he was planning to get was just a nick over $1k for the 11". So I'd say 1000 to be the most. It doesn't have to be perfect, but at least he can have fun on it without playing 14fps. Is the one I posted in this reply alright?
Heck yeah, that is a great laptop. The nice thing about Sagers is that you can customize every little aspect (videocard, RAM, etc.) to stay within your budget. You're also allowed to upgrade the videocard, RAM, optical drive, and such later on without voiding your warranty.

If you want gaming power, I'd stay at 15 inches or above. The smaller they are, the weaker. I'm on a 17 inch Sager right now, though next year I'm going to spend a bunch and switch to an 18 inch (ouch, my back!).
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:23 AM   #15
Alucard

Recommending laptops for gaming is something that annoys me. So many things to take into consideration, like screen angle viewing, touchpad accuracy, heat, battery life, and then the speed of the internet video card. Actually choosing laptops for gaming pisses me off. For the love of god dont go anything above 15". Thats where it gets stupid.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote