The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 04-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
darren
... lol

Darren's short and sweet opinions of what i've been playing

Since i have been putting these in the 'What i've beaten' thread I thought they would be better placed here.

XBOX360:: Metro 2033 (PC version also available)

Overview:
Metro 2033 is an FPS with survival horror elements. The game is based on the novel Metro 2033 by Russian author Dmitry Glukhovsky. It was developed by 4A Games in Ukraine, who also developed S.T.A.L.K.E.R on PC.

The game is played from the perspective of a character named "Artyom". The story takes place in post-apocalyptic Moscow, mostly inside the metro system where the player's character was raised (he was born before the war, in unharmed city), but occasionally the player will have to go above ground on certain missions and scavenge for valuables. The enemies that the player will encounter range from human renegades to giant mutated rats and even paranormal forces known only as "The Dark Ones". Players frequently have to defend themselves with makeshift combinations of different weapons, e.g a revolver with a sniper scope attached, adding to the atmosphere and making the player feel that there is a lack of everything. Ammunition is scarce too and the more rare, Military Grade bullets are used as currency (to purchase supplies and guns), or in combat as a last resort, giving an added damage boost, forcing the player to hoard supplies.

Positives:
  • Great post apocalyptic atmosphere. The outside world is dull, bleak and cold with an eerie feel, and the subway stages are dark, damp and drab, with a sense of dread about what’s around the next corner.
  • Interesting story with a good script. So often FPS game have lame stories. With this being based on a book it has a solid and interesting story.
  • The game has great visuals, some of the best I’ve seen on the 360. Great detail for all of the areas and some very nice character models
  • It’s all about the single player, which is great for me as I’m not a great online shooter fan
  • It’s harder than your average shooter, much harder

Negatives:
  • The gun play is not a great as it could be. I’ve often stood in front of someone and shot him in the face only to see the shot had not registered.
  • Some of the voice acting is a bit naff, which is a shame with a story driven game.
  • Some very poorly laid out level map (Black Station being the worst).
  • The action indicator when you are next to where you might need to plant bomb is a VERY light small yellow icon which can be easily missed when walking by.

Summery:
play time to complete was about 13 hours

There is no doubt this game has issues. Wonky gun play and some poor map layouts are a few obvious examples. But i still found myself drawn to this due to the very well put together story thats being told.

If you enjoyed S.T.A.L.K.E.R as i did then the likely hood is you will enjoy this. For anyone thats interested in the story, the novel has now been translated into English. The game has left me wanting to read the book to get the full details of this very well told story. A sequal novel has been written and my fingers are crossed the book gets translated and a game made which fixes the issues this one did.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)

Last edited by darren; 04-05-2010 at 03:09 PM.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
darren
... lol

Wii:: Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

Overview:
Fragile Dreams is a JRPG with a hint of survial horror and japanese ghost stories. It was developed by tri-Crescendo and the team at Namco responsible for the PlayStation 2 RPGs Seven: Molmorth no Kiheitai and Venus & BravesIt was developed by tri-Crescendo and the team at Namco responsible for the PlayStation 2 RPGs Seven: Molmorth no Kiheitai and Venus & Braves

You play as Seto, a 15 year old boy who wanders the world, searching for survivors and the answers behind the disappearance of everyone else. Seto also searches for a mysterious silver haired girl named "Ren." In his quest he must deal with ghosts and demons that lurk within the ruins of the abandoned cities.

Positives:
  • Really nice story with interesting character.
  • Detailed, and varied environments to explore Emotionally absorbing story and atmospheric and beautiful audio, visuals and cinematic.
  • Xseed has included both the original Japanese dub and a new English re-dub.
  • Best in game torch
  • Nice use of wiimote built in speaker
  • Numerous save points, which is needed to mange the dated inventory system

Negatives:
  • PSX Resident evil inventory system which can only be managed at save pointed can become a chore
  • combat is very basic, and needs a lock on

Summery:
play time to complete was 12 hours

I really enjoyed this game. It doesn't have the grand multi million $$ production of say's the FF13 of this world. But what is does have over FF13 by the bucket load is charm, interesting characters and an intriguing story. I just hope they follow this up with a sequal. If you have a wii and want a JRPG with charm go get this title.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)

Last edited by darren; 04-05-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I like the condensed style. More games, please!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Alucard

I'll echo Joe as well with that. Very nice.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
darren
... lol

cheers guys .. will post my thoughts on silent hill wiimake and F13 at some point ..
Old 04-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
darren
... lol

XBOX360 Final Fantasy 13 (PS3 version also available)

Overview:
Final Fantasy 13 is the latest in the long line of games in the series from Square Enix. I think I’ll leave the over view to that, as anyone that’s reading this and has not heard of Final Fantasy obviously stumbled on this message board by mistake

Positives:
  • An audio and visual treat which is almost second to none this generation.

Negatives:
  • As generic as JRPGs can get.
  • Boring story with a poorly written script
  • Dull uninteresting characters that no one will ever remember or care for
  • The first 25 hours is a dull wander down a very very long corridor.
  • Combat system seems to have been dumbed down for the lowest common denominator

Summary:
Time played so far is 35 hours and I’m saved before the boss at the top of the tower on Pulse, and not sure I can bring myself to finish the game off.

Being the Square and Final Fantasy fan I am, I really wanted to love this game. It delivered and audio and visual treat almost second to none. But sadly Destructoid said it best when they said "It takes more than graphics to make a game, and Final Fantasy XIII offers very little else other than eye candy"

Some people refuse to believe that a new Final Fantasy can't possibly be just OK because it’s a Final Fantasy title so by proxy it must be the best RPG ever made again. Some people probebly love this regardless of the poor script, dull characters and liner game play. But for me Final Fantasy has changed over the past couple of system generations for the worse and I which they would take it back to where it came from when it was awesome and not just a dull game with stunning audio and visuals.

Perhaps I was totally spoiled before I played this, as I came into this direct from finishing Mass Effect 2 which for me was one of the best games ever made, let alone this generation. But after years of waiting for me Final Fantasy deserved better than this game.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
calintz
thank you based god

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
Perhaps I was totally spoiled before I played this, as I came into this direct from finishing Mass Effect 2 which for me was one of the best games ever made, let alone this generation. But after years of waiting for me Final Fantasy deserved better than this game.
this is exactly how i felt

ME2 will spoil alot of action/rpgs in the next couple of month

nice reviews darren - you got me wanting to buy fragile dreams now
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Shorty0061
Shorty the Butt.

I like these.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Alucard

I havent played ME2 and FF13 was pure shit for me, so you dont have to make excuses for the game.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #10
darren
... lol

you played FF13 before ME2 ... shame on you .. i suggest you go stand in a corner and think about what you have done for 15 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz View Post
nice reviews darren - you got me wanting to buy fragile dreams now
go buy it .. if its like the UK then its a cheap game anyway .. I paid £25 day one and it has an RRP of £40. I've seen it for £20 now.

its not with out its issues, basic combat, needs a lock on, VERY dated inventory system which becomes a pain later on in the game .. BUT it really is full of charm, and after ME2 is my second favourite game this year thus far.

I can always tell how much i enjoyed a game buy how long it took to finish it and how long my 1st sitting was. For example I can't play Just Cause 2 for more than an hour before i switch of and get bored. Just Cause 2 fun in small/short burst, but thats about it. However this game took me 12 hours and that was done in two sittings, the first being nearly 10 hours because i was so enjoying it.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:14 AM   #11
calintz
thank you based god

Quote:
you played FF13 before ME2 ... shame on you .. i suggest you go stand in a corner and think about what you have done for 15 minutes

go buy it .. if its like the UK then its a cheap game anyway .. I paid £25 day one and it has an RRP of £40. I've seen it for £20 now.

its not with out its issues, basic combat, needs a lock on, VERY dated inventory system which becomes a pain later on in the game .. BUT it really is full of charm, and after ME2 is my second favourite game this year thus far.

I can always tell how much i enjoyed a game buy how long it took to finish it and how long my 1st sitting was. For example I can't play Just Cause 2 for more than an hour before i switch of and get bored. Just Cause 2 fun in small/short burst, but thats about it. However this game took me 12 hours and that was done in two sittings, the first being nearly 10 hours because i was so enjoying it.
SOLD!
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
darren
... lol

Wii: Silent Hill - Shattered Memories (PS2 and PSP versions are also available)

Overview:
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a survival horror video game and seventh instalment of the Silent Hill series. It is a reimagining of the first game in the franchise. The basis of the game is similar to the original. You play as Harry Mason who is searching for his daughter in Silent Hill after a car accident left him unconscious.

Positives:
  • The story is as great now as it was when Silent hill was first release on the PS1
  • Great sound and effect used throughout the game to produce awesome settings. Some of the best I’ve heard on the Wii and considering it does not have DD they Climax have done a really good job here.
  • Very apt and erries visuals that work very well.
  • The only horror adventure game in a LONG time that actually made me jump
  • Three different endings giving optional replay value to a verry short game
  • Great use of the Wiimote on the Wii version. These include wiimote used as Harry's torch, the wiimote doubling up as your mobile phone etc.

Negatives:
  • Some of the motion jestering failed to work correctly and i found myself slapping myself in the face with the nunchuck cable
  • The escape sections require a lot of annoying trial and error to figure out the path in later levels
  • Very repetitive game play, which soon becomes a bit dull after the first few hours.
  • Very short to the point where you might feel robbed having paid RRP

Summary:
Time play to finish the game was 5 1/2 hours

I’m still unsure if I really enjoyed this game or not. It has the amazing story telling of the early Silent Hill games but for me is let down by repetitive game play. The games only 5-6 hours long and to be honest I found myself bored with the ‘investigate town –> run away in nightmare -> repeat ‘ pattern the game took from start to finish.

If you love the Silent Hill series and lore then I suggest picking this up in the bargain bin if you see it, but anyone paying RRP for this might feel a bit cheated.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
[*]The only horror adventure game in a LONG time
And this is probably why I will never actually play this.

I'm a wuss, and if this game gets people like yourself to jump then I doubt I have the nerve to play it.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:30 AM   #14
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Excellent reviews, Darren!
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #15
Alucard

Havent played it yet but its on my long list.