The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 12-31-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Vista help

My friend has a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop and recently she tried ripping a cd to the hdd and stopped ripping at the last song, tried exiting media player since it froze. The screen then got the white tint that shows up when it crashes. Since then it keeps freezing. I've tried running a registry cleaner, changing the startup programs, running spyware and virus scanners, google of course. Anyone know of anyway to fix it?

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 03:56 AM   #2
Alucard

Try using registrybooster. If that fails reformat and put windows 7 on it and get rid of that useless vista.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:07 AM   #3
darren
... lol

reformat and install ubuntu if shes not playing games on it .. get rid of any useless MS OS if you can. if she plays games install ubuntu anyway and duel boot the bloody thing with a real OS and only use the MS one when you need/want to play games.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

I'll try using registry booster. She got the laptop within the past few months and it came with vista. She can't really afford to get windows 7 right now and she uses the laptop for mainly surfing online and typing her papers for college. I wouldve suggest linux but i dont think she'll like it that much tbh. I'll see how the registry booster will work for her. I tried using ccleaner as well but to no avail. When I used msconfig to turn off some of the startup stuff it was working fine for a bit longer but then froze again later. It has 3gb of ram on it so I know it's not the ram being eaten up.

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
Alucard

Ubuntu is too hard for someone to use that cant even use windows properly, especially for a GIRL. If she got the laptop recently has she checked to see if she can get win7 for free? Last I recall any laptop bought after july could get a free win7 update disc.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
darren
... lol

No its not hard, tbh its simpler than windows .. lol@anyone that find point and click hard .. the software/app store thing it has (i think its the ubuntu software centre or something like that) is great you can find what ever software you want 99% of the time free and it bloody installs it for you, theres nothing to do so its more simple IMO ..... Lol if you think its hard for someone to pick up. Point and click is point and click, once you get used to the fact the start bar comes from the top left there no difference .. other than you don;t have to fuck about with crap like registery cleaners etc .. from that point of view windows is MUCH more hard work ... my wife knows nob all about computers and picked it up much quicker than vista, and now should wouldn't use windows again if you paid her..

personally if all you want to do is surf the web, read emails, IM and a bit of office type stuff .. i'd go ubuntu every time, for starts every OS update is free ... lol .. as is 99% of all the software you use ..
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)

Last edited by darren; 12-31-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Alucard

Yeah... my sisters had a laptop for about a year or so now and recently I had her make a folder on the desktop to put something in. She didnt know how to make a folder. ubuntu would probably break her brain.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
darren
... lol

Well shes just thick then , right click add folder is the same on ubuntu or windows. Thats not a being female issue, thats a general brain issue ... Lol .. Seriously tho ubuntu over MS for thickys imo, the ubuntu software centre makes it simpler than windows instantly.

Last edited by darren; 01-01-2010 at 12:22 PM.