The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 12-06-2002, 04:00 AM   #1
typexig
-Drifter-

how can i open up my ps2?

xup err one..how can i open up my ps2?..i wanna see wassup with it...cuz i cant even play my games anymore!!!!...it keep saying "disc read error!!!"..it does it every time!!...i rarely play ma ps2 now, cuz everytime i put in a game is say "disc read error"....i keep on reseting it hoping that it'll read it the next time, but no! always disc read error!!..so any of you guys can help me here? please...do i need to buy a new ps2 or what?..grrrrrr... i hate this..haha...thanks again guys..=)

-Xig-

-drifter-
typexig is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 05:18 AM   #2
Alucard

And there it is.. What happens to your ps2 after a certain amount of time if you got it early on in the launch.. Opening might not be the way. Its usually one of two things. Either your lens is dirty and you need to use a DVD lens cleaner <You can buy those dvds at the store>, or your laser is out of alignment, what I think is also wrong with mine.

Give your system a clean with the DVD or just bring it in to a sony repair place. And they'll charge you to fix their bodgy system.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 09:07 AM   #3
Baka Neko

I agree with Alucard. Don't open your PS2. Yuo will ruin your warranty. And belive me if you are not an expert on these stuff, you may even end up unable to close it again...

Lens clean it, if it doesn't work, take it to a service, it will be cheaper to replace a part even if its warranty ended.

But if you open it service would sureley charge you more with no appearent reasons, they do it all the time if they find a weakness in your part ;)
Old 12-06-2002, 05:44 PM   #4
typexig
-Drifter-

oh ok thanks guys..=)

-Xig-

-drifter-
Old 12-06-2002, 05:45 PM   #5
typexig
-Drifter-

but where can i find these sony repair place?

-Xig-

-drifter-
Old 12-06-2002, 06:51 PM   #6
flamingspiral
Watch Out!

Wow, isn't that strange. The same problem with my PS2 just happened to me yesterday. I keep on getting a message saying disc read error whenever I put in Kingdom Hearts. God Sony, you suck.

Does anyone know how long a warranty lasts?
flamingspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 08:23 PM   #7
8 bit Orgy

Re: how can i open up my ps2?

Quote:
Originally posted by typexig
xup err one..how can i open up my ps2?..i wanna see wassup with it...cuz i cant even play my games anymore!!!!...it keep saying "disc read error!!!"..it does it every time!!...i rarely play ma ps2 now, cuz everytime i put in a game is say "disc read error"....i keep on reseting it hoping that it'll read it the next time, but no! always disc read error!!..so any of you guys can help me here? please...do i need to buy a new ps2 or what?..grrrrrr... i hate this..haha...thanks again guys..=)

-Xig-

To open up your PS2 you simply take a hammer and hit the outer plastic until it fractures. Ahahahah!
Old 12-06-2002, 08:24 PM   #8
Seska

Usually about a year on most Sony products.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:24 PM   #9
Baka Neko

For info on where to find Sony Technical Services and how long your warranty lasts please check the manual and warranty documents that came with your ps2.

I hope you didn't dumped them. If thats the case check Sony's web page for your country.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:36 PM   #10
Neo Otacon

Wow - people like you come into my store everyday. Something Sony fails to tell everyone about is the system's 1-2 year lifespan.
The lifespan of your system CAN be loweed by using it as a DVD player (forcing a low-grade DVD-Rom to constantly access a disc for 2 hours, compared to a 15-second load per 15-minute play segment)

I found the article with Shinji Mikami of Resident Evil fame.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa4/RCInews...er162002a.html

Neo Otacon's Reccommendation:

Buy a Gamecube or XBox - cut your losses and forget about your PS2 games
Neo Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 02:24 AM   #11
Alucard

Yeah thats right. Where are all you biased people who complain that a PS2 only wrecks because of the way you treat it. Wait till your system chucks a fit and you'll be sulking and asking for help too. Seen it happen a few times.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 03:48 AM   #12
8 bit Orgy

I have never, ever seen anybody that had their Playstation (1 or 2) not break on them after a year. It's seriously like the worst built console ever. I mean, I shouldn't be hearing reports of a 2-year old console failing on everybody.
Old 12-07-2002, 04:42 AM   #13
Neo Otacon

Yeah - the American NES may be bad, but at least you can get the games to work with a little effort. The feeling of futility when your PS2 goes out on you can be deep since you cant really blow on a CD and wiggle it in and out of the system a couple of times to get any positive effect.
Neo Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 06:36 AM   #14
Baka Neko

A drive replacement costs as much as a game. An considering you played enough hours to wreck your drive you have no right to complain. Go get your drive replaced already!!!

I am getting bored from all ppl whinnig on Playstations getting wrecked and Gq's an X-Box's lasting longer.

Your Gq will last more because it still doesn't have that much games YET that you can play long enought to wear out your drive.

Your X-Box WILL last more because it has a hard drive AND it doesn't have games that will keep you playing that long and it wont be anyway.

If you use a device enough to wear it out you should not whine while paying maintainance.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:32 PM   #15
gabriel
infinity in finity

Quote:
Originally posted by Alucard
Where are all you biased people who complain that a PS2 only wrecks because of the way you treat it.
Hah! Thanks, Baka Neko.