The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 01-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
GrantXP

Grant's *NEW IMPROVED* Reviews

Ok getting rid of this thread and resurrecting it with a new one. Instead I am going to write retrospective reviews of all the games I play. Hopefully this can give you a guide if you are looking to pick up any now bargain games!!! So let you know if you agree, strongly disagree with my opinions!

Reviews:

Wii
Wii Fit Plus - 80%

Xbox 360
Bioshock*NEW*
Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 94%
F1 2010 - 88%
Gears Of War 2 - 92%
Halo: Reach - 90%
NBA 2K11 - 95%
Sega Rally - 78%
Sonic & Sega All Star Racing - 85%
Sonic Unleashed - 80%
Splinter Cell: Conviction - 91%

Xbox 360 Kinect
Kinect Adventures - 77%
Kinect Sports - 77%

Xbox Live Arcade
Afterburner: Climax - 72%
Banjo-Kazooie - 89%
Outrun Online Arcade - 80%

Gamecube
Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1&2 - 92%
Starfox Adventures - 83%

Dreamcast
Shenmue - 98%
Grant's latest reviews - Click Here Latest Review: Bioshock (Xbox 360)

Last edited by GrantXP; 03-17-2011 at 04:16 AM.
GrantXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
GrantXP

Sonic & Sega All Star Racing - Xbox 360
Also available on PS3/Wii

After the simply awful Sega Superstar Tennis it was with some scepticism that I approached this game. After all, a version of Virtua Tennis with Sega characters would have sufficed! After playing this game for the first hour all my concerns were put to rest as this game genuinely challenges the established Mario Kart to it’s crown.

Let’s get one thing straight. This game is a clone of Mario Kart in every way. Unlike Sonic’s last recing efforts (Sonic Riders & Sonic R) this game is proud to do nothing different. Characters race around bright colourful lands drifting till their hearts content whilst collecting power ups that either protect you, speed you up or inflict pain on others. But it does it all right. It can’t be a bad thing to copy the best and that’s exactly what SASASR does. In addition each character has their own power move that you generally pick up when you are at the back of the field and it puts you back in the game. Each character has their own characteristic, characters like Robotnik (Think Donkey Kong) are faster but tougher to control and poor manouverability wheras characters like Shadow (Think Yoshi) have a lower top speed but are a dream to control. Sonic (Think Mario) sits right in the middle of things. On the subject of the characters there is the Sonic gang as usual as well as your favourites from Jet Set Radio, House Of The Dead, Crazy Taxi and to the fans delight Ryo from Shenmue makes an appearance. It is a shame that NiGHTs makes a cameo as the race starter rather than a playable character and there certainly could have been more characters such as ToeJam & Earl or a Daytona Car or even Ecco the Dolphin would have been welcome additions. But the range of characters is enough to suffice any SEGA fan. Though the more general gamer will probably not remember Alex Kidd or the Bonanza Bros. Still they are thrown in their for good measure.

Gameplay wise the game plays like Nintendo’s more established brother. Sadly this includes the slightly infuriating AI ‘Elastic band’ syndrome that allows them to stay bang on your tail regardless of how well you drive meaning that often the whole race boils down to luck on the last few corners. The courses are varied but I feel there could have been more character specific environments. Sonic, HOTD, Samba Di Amigo, Monkey Ball and JSR… they are all in. But to make it complete a Crazy Taxi and Shenmue level would have put the icing on the cake. Give me this over 4 Billy Hatcher tracks anyday!!! Each track features sounds from games in their series. This really makes for one of the best soundtracks of the year. The JSR soundtrack will have you singing along about the ‘Concept of Love’ and could be released as a standalone CD and the ‘Love it or hate it’ Sonic R soundtrack makes a comeback alongside the superb Samba Di Amigo dance tunes. Even the announcer is tolerable and the remarks he makes during the race never grated on me like so many cheesy announcers do. The game will take you about 13 hours to complete and the achievements are fairly varied and will keep you coming back for more and then there is always online multiplayer and split screen with friends including championships and battle races. Its all in there.

Visually the game is vibrant and certainly on the 360 it really stands out. Each environment takes its queue from the original games and trackside is always full of detail and movement. A special mention must go to the Samba Di Amigo tracks which bounce around like psychedelic jelly and whilst the cartoon visuals won’t give Uncharted or God Of War a run for their money the style and direction is beautiful.

Overall if you love Mario Kart and are gagging for something more or don’t have a Wii and are looking for a competitor on one of it’s HD competitors. This is for you. The gameplay is largely the same, it’s visually superior and has a larger roster of characters. The 360 version gets the edge over the PS3 version in my opinion as you can race as your avatar and Banjo-Kazooie are playable. Finally, lets remember that this is the first game since Shenmue 2 to feature Ryo Hazuki!!!

Pros – Great graphics. Good Range of characters, great gameplay and multiplayer.
Cons – Elastic band effect makes for frustrating AI. Not enough character environments. All-star moves can be TOO powerful.

OVERALL – 85%

Last edited by GrantXP; 12-15-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
GrantXP

Splinter Cell: Conviction - Xbox 360

The original splinter cell games for me split gamers. There are gamers who love the likes of Doom, Quake, Halo and Gears Of War. Simple controls that require reflex actions, throwing yourself into the line of fire. Then there are your more methodical games such as Rainbow 6, Operation Flashpoint and of course Splinter Cell... until now. Splinter Cell: Conviction attempts to try and broach that middle ground. You can approach the game however you want. You can sneak around stealthily... Or equip an automatic and blast your way to the finish. A game that satisfies the stealth purists and action junkies was what Ubisoft went for, and on the whole it succeeds.

I still have a movie on my 360 of one of the early gameplay demo's of SC: Conviction and the game has come a long way since then. The original concept was to have the game as an open world stealth game with targets; Sam Fisher was to go around killing in cold blood in broad daylight. I questioned the concept then and whilst certain levels show this original concept such as the fairground level that is teething with life it seems Ubisoft has settled for somewhat of a middle ground. Was the concept too ambitious? Did it just not work as a fun game? Who knows but what has been delivered is a superb experience.

There are 3 modes. A single player campaign, an stand alone coop campaign as well as various multiplayer modes. These are Last Stand and Deniable Ops. To start with the single player, well lets get this out of the way. It can be finished in 5 hours!!! That's right, stick the game on Rookie, skip the movies and you can finish this game in an afternoon. But if you do this you are sorely missing out. The single player story is beautifully told, to not spoil the flow of the game instructions appear on objects within the game, sure there are some movies but the direction is so good you will want to watch them. You make your way around sneaking up on people performing stealth kills; grabbing people through windows or performing satisfying pinpoint head shots. As you rack up the kills you earn 2 things the first is the right to perform executions where you mark targets and hitting the Y button will take them out. It may sound a bit cheap but when you have earned 4 executions and pull of a 4 man execution it is damn satisfying. You will also gain experience as a form of currency that can be used to upgrade weapons, gadgets and buy new camouflage for your array of multiplayer costumes. Then mixed in to break up the stealth elements are some of the best set pieces in a game I have ever seen. Be it chasing an assassin through the streets, creeping through sensors like in movies or a section where you need to escape so are given unlimited executes and dash out of the building annihilating everything in your path. There is even a section where you are in a warzone guns blazing, ok it doesn’t rival Call Of Duty but it breaks the intensity of the game up perfectly. These moments are excellently choreographed. You also can use environments to interrogate enemies; this is the only section of the game that is a little light. Whilst the animations for the interrogations look superb it is simply a case of pressing one button and the person caves. If I am being critical this system could have been deeper. Without spoiling the story there are plenty of nice twists as you go in search of your daughters’ killer.

The multiplayer modes are geared more towards coop play and if you have a friend to play this with then there is another 10 hours of gameplay through the deniable ops missions and coop story. Whilst no where near as deep as the single player story it’s a nice addition. However if like me you only play with actual friends then you are reliant on having a friend who also likes the game and you both being available! It sounds crazy but it’s tougher to coordinate than you think.

This game uses the Unreal 3 engine and hardly pushes it. The visuals are clean and clear but nothing special. Seeing as the screen turns to greyscale when you are in the dark also hampers the visuals somewhat and the characters get a special mention of being believable, the voice acting and sound effects are of decent movie quality and for this Ubisoft should be commended.

Overall I cannot recommend Splinter Cell enough. It isn't perfect and the length will put many people off of the £40($60) price tag. But as a budget purchase there is no reason why this should not be one of the games you buy this year and it is up there with the best exclusives on the 360.

Pros - Excellent story and game pacing. Game can be played to suit your gaming style. Unique coop story is a nice touch.
Cons - Game is too short. Interrogation system could have been deeper. Death match multiplayer pointless in this sort of game.

Overall - 91%
Old 12-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
GrantXP

Starfox Adventures - Gamecube

Starfox Adventures started life as Dinosaur Planet on the N64. With the game near completion on the system development was switched to the Gamecube and RARE replaced the Dinosaur characters with the Star Fox characters. Clearly some of the original elements of Dinosaur Planet feature in the game. But the game was largely rejected by fans and given a mediocre reception by critics. Just why was this? Could fans not stand the fact that this game was not a Starfox/Lylat Wars clone... Was it simply a cheap rip off of other adventure games in the genre?

By other games in the genre I of course mean Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. It is a shame to compare these game because whilst this game does not come close to Link's debut N64 outing. It still stands as a good game in its own right. The first thing that hits you is the visuals. Ok, nowadays they won't blow you away but the character model and fur effect on Fox McLoud is really superb. You navigate the 'Dinosaur Planet' with the help of this annoying dino called Tricky, who is similar to Navi from the Zelda series. The difference being that Tricky is more integral to gameplay. Many sections of the game will see you alter terrain to make it accessible for him or using his abilities to solve certain puzzles. When I say puzzles, the biggest downer of this game is the fact that the game is pretty easy! You will almost never be stuck and very few parts of the game or bosses will challenge you. Don't get me wrong the game is very well thought through and is a joy to play, but nothing will really test you. Along side the aforementioned puzzles is a combat system which is surprisingly intuitive. Fox carries a staff and can lock onto individual enemies and strafe and dodge their attacks whilst inflicting his own damage. Once again the game 'Borrows' heavily from a certain tunic wearing forest boy, but if it ain't broke. Like the puzzles though the enemies are far too basic. Sure they block and dodge but you will rarely feel challenged.

These points leave me in a really difficult position with this review because despite all this I really enjoyed this game. Whilst it wasn't an intense rush it was more than enjoyable. The characters all vocalised their own lines (Zelda take note) and the controls were really tight making the game very playable. I got a good 14 hours of gameplay out of this that I really enjoyed. To put it into perspective that’s the same length of time it took me to complete Half Life 2, but 20 hours less than it took me to finish Zelda: OOT. The characters are memorable, special note must go to the shop keeper who only has 2 phrases "You pay this much" and "Ok, I'll sell it to you". He is up there in the hilarity stakes with Resident Evil 4's "Whaddya Buyin'", "Whaddya Sellin'" roaming salesman.

If you are new to adventure games I cannot recommend this game enough. It has lots of charm, incredible polish and immaculate presentation and can now be purchased on budget working on a Wii and is also Dolphin compatible. Visually it still holds up pretty well all these years. If you are a seasoned adventurer it won't challenge you and dare I say it may become dull, but for me the charm and playability of the game shone through. When you look up the best games on the Gamecube this game never features which is a shame because it is a real diamond in the rough. Overlook this and you are missing out.

Pros - Beautiful presentation and high production value. Controls are spot on in all respects
Cons - May not test experienced gamers. Tricky the Dinosaur is annoying. Fans of the series may not like the direction of the game.

Overall - 83%

Last edited by GrantXP; 12-15-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:54 AM   #5
GrantXP

Halo: Reach - Xbox 360

I must confess, every iteration of Halo that is released I get sucked in by the hype! I totally borght into the 'Finish the Fight' Halo 3 marketing campaign and have got myself into a similarly frenzied state over Halo: Reach upon release. Whilst some hardcore gamers are rebelling I ask: is the attention Halo gets such a bad thing. The industry I love gettin massive exposure to rival the biggest movie release can only be good and to be honest I love getting wrapped in the hype.

This is the game Halo 3 really should have been. The visuals are greatly improved over Halo 3 and the whole game possesses that Bungie level of polish and customisation. You no longer take the role of the Master Cheif. Instead you are simply 'Noble 6'. This allows the experience of Halo Reach to feel more personal. Also in addition to halo 3 is the overall ranking system and customisable character that is consistent across all game modes. It brings the whole experience together nicely.

Everyone knows how Halo works. If you are not one of the people who have played the 40 million copies sold then let's just say this. It's an FPS but unlike the sharpshooting Half Life or Call Of Duty series the combat Style is very different and purist shooter fans may not enjoy it. Utilising power weapons is a must, close combat strafing followed by a punch after a few shots is another technique but singular pop an shot head shots is not the way to play this. On harder modes enemies can take multiple head shots with ease. The AI is intelligent. They will retreat when getting shot at and come out to hunt you. However the single player campaign has not really changed it's style since the first Halo. It's now a 10 year old formula. Don't get me wrong the story unfolds nicely and it's a joy to play but I do feel the formula is in danger of becoming stale. Sure there is a 4 player coop mode which is a blast but the single player doesn't have the same depth as the now 5 year old Half Life 2.

However, as with so many shooter nowadays the multiplayer element of the game is where Halo really shines. All the gameplay questionmarks raised above actually aid the multiplayer experience in my opinion. I have many a time tried to get into Call Of Duty multiplayer only to be killed within seconds with an insane headshot from a 13 year old with way too much time on their hands. Halo is different. The gameplay mechanic often allows you to retreat and you can actually have enjoyable duels with competitors. The multiplayer goes as deep as you want it to. Just fancy a deathmatch. The matchmaking system will have you in a game within minutes! Want to create maps, delve deeper into the different multiplayer modes or even create maps and customise the games weapons...? It's all there and Bungie serves there community well with daily and weekly challenges that add a special something to the game. For me, I am a child of 4 player Goldeneye and later 4 player Halo on 1 screen with friends. Reach evolves this further by allowing you to play a team deathmatch with your mates around one screen against other teams online. It's a personal highlight of the game for me as there is nothing better than a night with the lads, pizza, beer and deathmatch Halo.

It seems fitting that Reach is Bungies last Halo because I honestly question the next step for The series. It's no longer the pinnacle of console graphics like it once was and the only thing that keeps it in the higher echelons of gamers hearts is the deep storys huge production value as well as the games huge fan base! Add to this the ridiculously good multiplayer experience, which improves on Halo 3 in every department. Whilst the single player is good. It somehow lacks the epic memorable moments that benchmark Previous Halo games and the formula is on the cusp of going stale. For this latest instalment of Halo though it ranks up there with some of te best experiences on the 360! But the future remains unclear!

Pros - arguably the best multiplayer shooter I have played. Great story, despite predictable ending. Rousing soundtrack
Cons - single player format hasn't changed since Halo on original xbox. First person purists won't like the bullet spray playability.

Overall - 90%

Last edited by GrantXP; 12-15-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:56 AM   #6
GrantXP

Halo: Reach added. I question if anyone reads these or cares, but I'm quite enjoying writing these on the train and here seems a nice place to document it so will keep doing it for a while. Any requests let me know.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Paper exe
Pwnd

Nice work on the reviews.

About the starfox adventure review...You needed to rant at least a whole paragraph about the pressing A repetitively mini game, actually you need to do that to any game that include such a thing then later cut 30% marks out of the total score.

That press A repetitively mini game is as meaningless, dull, boring as it is PAINFUL! There are not just one but TWO! So many times I feel like replaying the game only to be driven away after remembering that mini game.

THERE IS NO FUN IN DESTRYOING YOUR OWN HANDS!!1!
As if Banjo Tooie wasn't enough they had to include it in this game as well. If they took the "breeze" kind of a game direction why the hell did they include the A button masher?! It is not relaxing anymore not when that mini game is around. My god, I cannot stop ranting!1!
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
GrantXP

Are you talking about the bit where you have to push a guy over a ridge by pressing A. I don't remember it as a major issue but my years of Athlete Kings, Sydney 2000 and Track & Field mean I have the tecnique...

Paper, thankyou for the response btw!!! I thought I was only writing these for myself. It seems you are the first person to read. Brings a tear to my eye.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
Zack

never played star fox adventures. low review scores and comparisons to the ocarina of time scared me away.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:52 AM   #10
Paper exe
Pwnd

you need to have your own opinion next time then.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #11
Zack

nah i saw enough gameplay and reviews to know i wouldn't like it. i can tell if i'll like a game w/o playing it
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:22 AM   #12
GrantXP

It's worth a try if you have the time. I really liked it. The sad thing about retro games now is I really have no time to play anything... I'd like that to change but can't see that happening soon.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:49 AM   #13
GrantXP

Sega Rally - Xbox 360
Also available on PS3/PC

Having owned a Mega Drive, 14 years ago I shelled out for a Sega Saturn. I received 3 games, Virtua Fighter 2, Euro 96 and the best of them all... Sega Rally. Never before had I seen such beautiful 3D visuals! Ok there were only 3 cars and 4 tracks but I would spend hours trying to shave that last second off of my Desert track time. Following an average Dreamcast sequel and the terrible Sega Rally 2006 and we arrive at a new Sega Rally who's aim is to recreate the feel of the original whilst giving the game a much needed update on 7th gen hardware.

For the most part Sega stays true to the original. The in-game HUD certainly brings back memories and the Delta, Celica and the Stratos all return to the substantial lineup. The game also has a distinct arcade feel to it. However this could be where its biggest downfall lies. Whilst it is great that elements of the game stay true to the original in terms of HUD, cars and environments it is also important for games to evolve. In keeping with the arcade feel there is no damage and hitting the edges won’t slow your car down. It often means the best tactic is simply to use competing cars as barriers to go found corners and sometimes it can be faster to take a turn by smashing into the sides. You also almost never have to break, instead releasing the accelerator is enough to negotiate most bends, this makes for an adrenaline charged experience but in keeping with the arcade feel the game concept also shows its age. A little bit of damage thrown in and a few corners which required breaking points and skill would have helped the game evolve whilst keeping its arcade roots. Visually the game is breathtaking. The game zooms along smoothly in various rally scenes, Tropical, Alpine, Safari etc and the game does show some innovation as it features the ability for tyres to shred up the terrain which looks pretty special and will make you really notice the changes in grip on the road from the deformed track.

The game however despite this comes with its issues. The first is the championship difficulty; there is no career mode to speak of. Instead you must simply race through championships: Amateur, Modified and Expert. However rather than each championship getting progressively harder the end of the amateur championship is painfully hard!! Arguably as hard as the end of the expert championship. Then when you finish this the start of the Modified Championship reverts to easy again and you repeat the difficulty curve. It is clear what Sega was trying to do here. Allow you to have varying difficulty levels for each of the car classes. If however like me you are a methodical player who plays through games in an order then this can be a bit off-putting. You build yourself up to race on limits and finish the amateur races before going back to easy races which makes them seem dull on the modified class. Of course this may be just me...

Sega Rally does an awful lot right and is a great tribute to the original. But gaming has come a long way in 14 years and it lacks the depth of Forza / GT and the sheer fun of the likes of Burnout and Need for Speed. Despite the 20+ tracks the replay value isn't there and you won't want to spend hours shaving vital seconds off of your times like the original. Because of this Sega Rally is somewhat lost and doesn't know what it wants to be. Racing games are simply not as popular as they once were and other games simply saturate the Market. This means I can only really recommend this to nostalgic Sega Rally fans and die hard racing buffs. It's a real shame because I challenge anyone to find me a better game on the 360/PS3 that has sold less than 250,000 copies. Sadly, that is the sales category this game fits into, if you see this game in a bargain bin give it a try as it just may surprise you!

Pros - great graphics, dynamic terrain gives the game something different, style of the game stays true to the original...
Cons - …but the original is a 14 year old game and gaming has come a log way since then. No career mode. Strange difficulty curve

Overall - 78%
Old 12-15-2010, 01:59 AM   #14
GrantXP

Sega Rally added, people may notice I buy a lot of Sega games...
Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #15
Paper exe
Pwnd

Why SEGA super star Tennis was awful? As far as I heard it was Virtual Tennis but with SEGA and Sonic characters instead of real players like a copy and paste of virtual Tennis. Virtual tennis is known to be preety good. so what gives?