The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 11-26-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
diunx
The Devil Loves You

gears vs resistance

http://www.gamedaily.com/gears-of-wa...rticleID=37835

Quote:
Gears of War for Xbox 360 and Resistance: Fall of Man for PS3 share a common pedigree. Both are flagship next-generation sci-fi shooters with big guns and monstrous enemies -- but that's where the similarities end. The atmospheric Gears of War emphasizes time-consuming strategic firefights over the fast-paced run-and-gun combat in Resistance. We compare these two high-profile games to see which will win this year's holiday shoot-out.

Best Single-Player Adventure

Resistance and Gears both feature an intense single player campaign in which death comes frequently. Both incorporate moments bound to get adrenaline pumping, both contain encounters that take multiple retries and a definite strategy to overcome, and both leave corpses scattered throughout a battlefield that lies in shambles. But is one superior to the other? Nope. They should both be experienced.

Winner: Draw

Best Multiplayer

Gears' multiplayer of maxes out at eight players, but the smaller matches provide a more intimate atmosphere, something that encourages thought-filled strategic play over quick reflexes. Gears' team-based multiplayer is also its downfall, as the paltry three multiplayer modes are all just slight variations of Team Deathmatch, which feels awfully restricted. Meanwhile, Resistance not only offers matches of up to 40 players, but also a larger number of game types. In addition to standards like Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag, there's the survival-focused Conversion and the tactical team-based Breach and Meltdown modes. Furthermore, the two species of Resistance's multiplayer differ both in terms of appearance and capability, while the differences between the Locust and the Cogs of Gears are purely aesthetic. It sucks that Resistance doesn't have the online co-op of Gears, but its wide variety of modes and the differing capabilities of the playable species give it the advantage.

Winner: Resistance

Most Compelling Back Story

Both Resistance and Gears focus on constant action, so the frequent story-telling cutscenes in each come as a relative surprise. Plus, the two games have their own detailed side stories. Resistance takes the storytelling a little more seriously, including a heavily researched timeline at the official site explains how the Resistance's chronology differs from our own, and in the game, hints at an underlying story with implications far beyond the actions of main character Nathan Hale. Meanwhile, the cutscenes from Gears, though well directed, doesn't tie back to any supplemental information, making the plot seem as shallow as an Uwe Boll film, whereas the clever implementation of Resistance's mythology paints a larger, and more intriguing, multi-layered story.

Best Controls

Resistance sports the traditional dual-analog set up found in most console shooters, and it's a responsive scheme that works (Plus, you never have to worry about getting stuck behind something). As for Gears, the controls largely depend on the repeatedly pressing 'A,' a context-sensitive button that helps the main character do everything from find cover to pommel over barriers. The multipurpose button sometimes throws the character into an unwanted position, but it's a new control scheme that works remarkably well for a third-person shooter.

Best Weapons

Despite their over-the-top design, the weapons of Gears are mostly just aesthetic tweaks on old standbys. No matter the weapon, there's not much to differentiate its function from boom sticks found in other games. The chainsaw bayonet, for instance, doesn't revolutionize the concept of a melee attack. Instead, it just makes them gorier (and more satisfying). On the flip side, Resistance's creative weapons look cool and change how the game plays. With its ability to eat through walls, the Auger nullifies the classic duck-and-cover combat strategy. Other unusual weapons - i.e. the Fareye sniper rifle that slows time; the Backlash grenade that launches a protective bubble -- makes Resistance's arsenal the clear victor in this category.

Best Graphics

While Resistance shows off detailed character models, cool looking weapons and slick, retro environments, Gears of War still wins for best graphics, hands down. Resistance's conservative, clean appearance just can't compete with Gears' gritty, war-torn environs and nightmare-inducing monsters.

Winner: Gears of War

Audio

Resistance delivers the audio shock-and-awe treatment with loud explosions, louder weapons, and eerie monster noises, but it can't quite compete with Gears' tension-building sound effects and music. Plus, certain tracks in the 360 shooter make us feel like total bad asses as we rip alien scum to bits with countless rounds of ammo. Bottom line, games that feed the ego win awards.

Winner: Gears of War

Best Monsters

Gears of War's Locust Horde are some bad hombres. All of the standard-issue foot soldiers look the same, but the gigantic spider and assorted creepy crawlies give us shivers. Similarly, Resistance's genetically engineered freaks scare the hell out of us. Besides, both games toss tall, hulking brutes at the player, all of which have a fondness for a good pair of pants.

AND THE WINNER IS: Resistance: Fall of Man
diunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Alucard

This is going to come under personal preference. Both games play completely different to each other, and it seems Resistance has mainly larger open levels compared to gears' constricted limited movement levels.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I agree. Pretty lame comparison.

Funny how Resistance won seeing how GOW is getting better reviews.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
Reko8

lol, better story than Gears my ass. Resistance is Call of Duty with better weapons and Halo monsters
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:01 PM   #5
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Thats right thats right. I say gears but, i haven't played Resistance. If i had to judge by reviews then yeah gears.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:27 PM   #6
Vegetto
Alive

I wanna play both
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:48 PM   #7
Seraph
>:3

Whatever one gets ported to PC is the better title.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
fruitsofherwomb
False Orders Begone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
Whatever one gets ported to PC is the better title.
QFT!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #9
littlewig

Resistance is overrated in my opinion.

A good game in a sea of crap doesn't make it better than GoW.
littlewig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:14 AM   #10
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

What a crock of sh*t that is. For one thing GoW does give you multiple paths. I watched my brother do a part where he was given the option whether he wanted to go through a big building (a mansion?) or go around the side of the compound. As usual, somebody either doesn't know how to play a game for more than ten minutes or is just looking to say anything in order to invent favortism for his preferred platform.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:48 AM   #11
GrantXP

haha! stupid comparison! Sometimes games can't be judged by general categories. But from reading reviews I wonder how much Game Daily were slipped by SONY for this one.
Grant's latest reviews - Click Here Latest Review: Bioshock (Xbox 360)
GrantXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:58 AM   #12
Chronos
fuggit

Most compelling back story? Lol alot of the criteria comes down to personal opinion (omg...big surprise)

I can see how RFOM would take multiplayer though, with gears only really offering a workable co-op. There's something to be said about a 40-60 player deathmatch online (with voices muted...), and gears can't do that.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:27 AM   #13
darren
... lol

what a pointless comparision .. two different types of games IMO

its like comparing chalk and cheese ..
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:32 AM   #14
GrantXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
I can see how RFOM would take multiplayer though

Again though that is personal opinion. Gears has a great coop system where another player can just jump in and out during the single player campaign. And huge deathmatch games would destroy the whole cover concept of the game. I think Gears multiplayer is refreshing.
Grant's latest reviews - Click Here Latest Review: Bioshock (Xbox 360)
GrantXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:39 AM   #15
darren
... lol

totally agree about the co-op .. playing the single player game in co-op is awesome .. SOO much better than solo ..
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote