The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 04-15-2006, 04:53 AM   #1
Alucard

Lost Planet

This ones got me interested. The game looks very nice, though I would prefer some non-snow screens since snow is a good cheating way to use less detail and make it look good. I'd like to see some hills and trees or urban areas. Its a 3rd person action game from some bloke called Keiji Inafune. 360 exclusive.

Quote:
The combat's fun - largely because of the control system and the quality of the visuals. As your bullets and rockets find their targets, the landscape erupts in fiery showers of snow, leaving you to cut through the smoky aftermath. It's a great effect, and it feels good to play. It's a third-person game, and uses the typical two-stick approach, but the camera doesn't follow you inch for inch; there's a bit of wiggle room before it actually starts turning, so you find yourself actually aiming at enemies rather than just doing the old trick of strafing to find them with the crosshair - so often an annoying necessity in games with large analogue dead zones and such. Headshotting enemies with the rifle is a lot easier than it is any number of similar titles, and while the demo doesn't allow you to invert your aim, apparently this will be sorted out.

That said, it's hard to say the combat's fun because of the enemy intelligence or a need for tactical awareness - at this point, it's actually not that hard to stay alive, and it feels very gung-ho. The game seems to use a Halo-style recharging shield system, but it also seems to recharge whether you're under fire or not, and you only really come unstuck if you run out of T-Eng, which isn't very often. There's definitely a lot of good to be said for stomping around hangars taking on hordes of Starship bugs (they really are the spitting image), or creeping through caves gunning down flying beasts, but you don't feel like you're in much danger at this stage.

This is most apparent when you're up against the bigger enemies or bosses. Giant bugs launch themselves out of the ground and try and stomp your mech with spiky legs, but a brute force approach puts paid to them, while mech versus mech battles are very much firepower over fleet-footedness. The boss battle at the end of the first stage, meanwhile, involves a sort of spiny armadillo which curls itself up and spins around the roof of the cavern you're in, and the idea is to concentrate your fire on its glowing orange weak spot - once you're in a mech, it doesn't take long to sort him out with a few well-placed rocket launcher rounds, and while it's certainly a spectacular encounter, again it's more of a showpiece than a struggle.

As E3 demos go, Lost Planet's definitely a looker. It's explosive fun, with a few nice concepts to get your head around. We're also promised 32-player multiplayer over Xbox Live, which should be interesting. Ultimately, the E3 demo gives the impression that it could go either way, but providing Capcom's refinement of the health system works out, Lost Planet could be stellar.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63914

I'd like to see some video clips at E3 ofcourse. Theres a stack load more pics at the site above with a little extra info on the game, and the link below has 5 HUGE screens which I didnt feel like destroying the thread ratio space with.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/701/701885p1.html
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Looks neat. I'd probably rent it.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Decado

Looking a lot better than Dead Rising. I had somewhat high hopes for that one

I suspect Lost Planet will get ported to the PS3. I can wait.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
Beam
~The Last Of The Old Guard~

can't go wrong with big alien monster slaughtering
Old 04-15-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
shinobi00
Hyper Ninja 100%

I'm looking forward to this one but, hopefully it will be alot more like serious sam and less like resident evil. just from seeing the pictures and trailer, it looks like the game moves at a frantic pace. Lets hope it stays that way.
shinobi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

haha the giant creature design reminds of....... dare i say.... Blue Stinger

Yeah it does i'm sorry. Looks neat though.
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:23 AM   #7
Paper exe
Pwnd

I don't think it looks interesting at all, but the Capcom logo is way to hard to resist. Not to mention that the guy made Megaman and Megaman battle network.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

I just worry about the camera. THe main character is positioned in a lot of different parts of the screen across the varius screenshots and trailers that have been released.
Other than that this game should be pretty good
Old 04-16-2006, 11:16 PM   #9
Vegetto
Alive

almost looks like it has a control scheme similar to RE4

theres a trailer at gametrailers for it
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:24 AM   #10
DBJAY

Man, this one is pretty far away though. It's looks great, but 2007! Most likely fall 2007 - quite a bit of waiting for this one. It's like the 2.5 years for Zelda all over again.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote