The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 03-30-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
Spalding
is giving birth to an eel

Comic Book Topic

I am starting a comic book topic. today. The year 2000.

What's everyone's favorite lower art form? Yes! I mean comics!

I really like Chris Ware he's got some great art, and the stuff he writes is just fantasticly hilarious. Acme Novelty Library is my favorite comic book, ever. Jim Woodring and his "Frank" books have fantastic art, and the man can tell a delightful story, let me tell you. Sam Keith's book "The Maxx" is great in terms of story, and art. "Ojo" ain't half bad either. R. Crumb is pretty popular, I like his stuff. I recently read "Black Hole" by Charles Burns and liked it pretty well. I hear good things about these "The Sandman" books, anyone know about these?

(Try not to talk about "manga". most of it is pretty bad, and this topic is about regular comics.)
Spalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Didn't we do this already?

Anyway, I only read Manga.

Just because, while I like the story of the hulk, I don't like the art.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
Spalding

i just don't understand you teenagers

I don't understand "manga". What's the appeal? the doe eyed characters? hentai? I've read "FLCL" and i thought it was "OK" but only because the style was kind of unique and I liked the show alright. Come to think of it...I don't really like anime, either.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
spalding, read Death Note.

One of my favorite mangas and its being turned into a live action movie.

you have to find the ones that appeal to you and this one is great, its really smart and the art is great, doesn't look like typical anime and its really detailed.

A Teenager finds a note book on the street, turns out its a Death God's book, whoever he writes their name in it will die.

what happens afterwards is great, I can't wait to see the movie.

but for artwise in comics, I like Adam Huges, Frank Cho, John Romita, I don't really care for his son's work, seems to much of trying to copy his father's style and its somewhat blocky.

and The Kubert family artists I love their work and mark bagley.

I forget the artist's name, but the guy who did the new Secret War mini series, oh man thats great artwork, it basically shows what some of the stuff would look like if it was real.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
Reko8

I like Manga art more than other as well. It's much more beautiful in my opinion. The only non-manga I read is Ctrl+Alt+Del (it's a web comic but still applies) and Iron Man
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
Spalding

horible thats also spanish i mean with the little accent above the "e"

CTRL + ALT + DEL is really, really bad. for web comics, try achewood (you need to read back in the archives to understand alot of it, but it's really funny stuff if the humor is your cup of tea) perry bible fellowship is something the whole family can enjoy, even mom and pop!. Red Meat can be funny, if a little goth.

Spider-prime, Death Note sounds pretty cool, actually. I don't know if I want to pay for it, though. Anywhere on the internet where I can read the first chapter or so and see if I like it?

Last edited by Spalding; 03-30-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
Reko8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime
spalding, read Death Note.

One of my favorite mangas and its being turned into a live action movie.
lol I was reading the first few pages of the comic topic and did you ever see those movies spider? I thought they were fantabulous even though it didnt follow the book the whole time.

also, I was thinking of subscribing to either Thor or the Punisher War Journal, Thor is starting again in July and don't know if it was a fun read back in the day because I like Thor, but how fun is it to read about someone who's practically immortal? I also like the Punisher but dont know how good war journal is
Old 04-01-2006, 09:54 AM   #8
Slash
BUTTOUT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding
I don't understand "manga". What's the appeal? the doe eyed characters? hentai? I've read "FLCL" and i thought it was "OK" but only because the style was kind of unique and I liked the show alright. Come to think of it...I don't really like anime, either.

I don`t undersatnd most mangas either? The stories or characters just don`t intrest me like comics. DB is the only manga I really ever like.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:52 PM   #9
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
yeah like I said before, I'm the same way, but you have to find one that does interest you.

not every single manga are the same, check out Fist of the North Star, it was based off of Mad Max

Hurricane Polymar is a Japanese attempt at a American Superhero, mostly Spider-man.

I know people who just buy and get anime/manga just cause it is anime/manga, which is just a waste of money and time.

The Big O is one of my favorites, the style was taken from Batman the animated series.
But the creator of the big O loves american comics.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #10
Slash
BUTTOUT!

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:09 PM   #11
bobfanatic111
Bouncer at Mac D Lounge

has anyone here read the "Megatokyo" series? I really like it, I also follow the webcomic.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #12
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Yeah at first i didn't buy the hype of AASM but, i was reading ASBR(Batman and robin) and as it turns out that book sucks so I jumped onto All Star supes and never ever looked back. It will be something that I will definately look back at and say big things about it. I'm sure the comic book community will say the same.

On a sidenote Blue Beetle is starting to read a little decent. Oh and Hals arc on Green lantern still sucks and I have no idea where they're going with ION.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:41 PM   #13
UniGamer
The Fanboy Bully

Okay i flicked through the latest issue of Excalibur and i was stunned to see Cain depowered but still strong enough to lift a bus.

I know Juggernaut isn't a mutant so Wanda's "No more Mutants Wish" shouldn't have affected him so, how did he lose his powers and which issue did it occur in?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #14
spider-prime

From what I know, the cytorakk gem is stealing it's powers back from him. He's been getting weaker and weaker every year from what I remember.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #15
Reko8

I didnt want to make a whole new thread for this, but new spider man 3 footage (it shows VENOM )

http://www.marvel.com/news/moviestories.685

I tried to snap a pic of Venom, best I could do

Last edited by Reko8; 11-30-2006 at 09:40 PM.