The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 10-02-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
Kotaro

Rumor & Speculation REV

- The Revolution may have connectivity with the Nintendo DS or Nintendo's next handheld system (seeing as Nintendo says that the Nintendo DS is not the next Game Boy system). Nintendo Power magazine has said this is likely in its July 2005 issue. A reported interview with Mr. Miyamoto seems to confirm this; however, the legitimacy of the source is unknown.[12]

- Several publications are citing an anonymous source inside Nintendo that claims the system will be renamed "Revo". The source has released images of what could be the official logo (a stylized R), images of a slightly smaller system and as well as some advertisement material. Currently, there is no evidence substantiating such claims.[13]

- A rumor on its specs: "... the console will boast four 2.5 GHz IBM G5 Custom cores, with 128 KB of level 1 cache and a 512 KB shared level 2 cache, while the graphics will be powered by a dual core ATI RN520 chipset, with 16 MB of on-board eDRAM for the frame buffer."[14] Current rumors from the same website provides new, as well as contradictory, details to the first report: "The specifications [...] suggest that the system will be powered by two 1.8Ghz IBM PowerPC G5 processors, a 600Mhz graphics chip from ATI and a 7.1 Digital Sound chipset. The console will apparently sport 128MB of high speed 1T-SRAM as main memory, along with 256MB of slower DRAM, while the graphics chip has 12MB of on-board high speed RAM. 6GB proprietary DVD-size discs, designed by Panasonic, would be used for Revolution's games."[15] The contradictions make it evident that some, if not all the information presented by this source, is incorrect.

- Another rumor on the specs comes from someone claiming to work at Factor 5, calling himself Han_Solo. He supposedly predicted the Xbox 360 specs correctly. According to him, the Nintendo Revolution will have a IBM Custom dual-threaded PowerPC 2.5 GHz processor, 512 MB of 700 MHz 1T-SRAM, a ATI custom GPU core at 600 MHz with 256 MBs of 1T-SRAM with a average in game performance of 100 million polygons per second and 50 billion shader operations per second, and a PPU. [16]

- There is speculation that there will be 50 games ready for launch. A third Super Smash Bros. game is said to be bundled in with the Revolution. Iwata also said he would push for an online Smash Brothers to be a launch title.

- Classic Sega titles may also be made available for download, in addition to classic Nintendo titles. This potentially includes titles released for the Sega Master System, Sega Genesis/Megadrive, Sega CD, Sega 32x and Sega Saturn. Some of the CD-based games would need to be either stored on external SD cards that the Revolution supports or delivered on optical discs, given the system's expected 512MB of internal storage.

- These rumors were sparked by comments made by Sega on the Nintendo Revolution. [17]

- A new Kid Icarus game was hinted to be in development by Shigeru Miyamoto in an interview with IGN.

- Mario Revolution is likely to be the long developed Super Mario 128, considering comments by Mr. Miyamoto.[18]

- Pilotwings 3 may be slated for a Nintendo Revolution release, after being cancelled for the GameCube.

- Konami may be in the proccess of developing two projects for Revolution.

- A Killer Instinct game may be in development for the Revolution. [19]

- An ad circulating on the net states "A new experience is coming. The revolution starts March 2006". This could be a potential release date. Another rumor previously suggested a November 2006 release.
Nintendo may utilize an internally developed proprietary visual distortion method to be applied to all of the games compatible with the Nintendo Revolution, including NES, SNES, N64, GameCube and Revolution titles. A blog does state that a technology called NURB is being developed by Nintendo, which could bring graphical capabilities up to the PS3's level. [20] ("NURB" is likely a typo for NURBS.) However, nothing from Nintendo has been officially announced. The same source claims that Cube Environment Mapping [21] will also be used.

- Nintendo or a third-party company may develop an Ethernet port accessory compatible with the system's USB 2.0 ports.

- It has been rumored that the Nintendo Revolution will have the ability to download Nintendo DS video game demos that you will be able to recieve on your Nintendo DS. [22]

- Capcom may be developing Resident Evil 5 for the Nintendo Revolution, and simply hasn't announced it yet. [23]
Kotaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:41 AM   #2
Keits
Kaizoku da!

I think it would very intellegent for Nintendo to use proprietary SD cards as memory cards, that are essentially blank DS carts. That way, you can download NES and SNES games and play them on your DS.

But, we shall see.
Keits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:18 AM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I'm pretty sure nintendo already said you can play them on your DS, but not N64 games, just SNES and NES games. cause of lack of buttons.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:48 AM   #4
camac
I feel so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime
I'm pretty sure nintendo already said you can play them on your DS, but not N64 games, just SNES and NES games. cause of lack of buttons.
Seriously? If so they just earned some points with me. That is if they beat the emu community at making decent snes/ nes/ and genesis emulators for it first... wait.. hmm..

Well, we'll see. Still a neat idea though.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camac
Seriously? If so they just earned some points with me. That is if they beat the emu community at making decent snes/ nes/ and genesis emulators for it first... wait.. hmm..

Well, we'll see. Still a neat idea though.

the DS has enough ram to load SNES and NES games onto it, so I know downloading from the revolution onto the DS is for sure.

but I'm not sure about when saving to SD cards cause nintendo never said anything about it yet. but I think they are cause thats probably why they are going with that format for memory cards, save them onto the card and slide into the DS and you have tons of games to play
Old 10-03-2005, 06:56 AM   #6
Stevz
NINTENDO DEER HUNTER 3!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keits
I think it would very intellegent for Nintendo to use proprietary SD cards as memory cards, that are essentially blank DS carts. That way, you can download NES and SNES games and play them on your DS.

But, we shall see.
Nice idea.

There would be the potential trouble of pricing the thing but it should work out well.

I'm still relying on a visor since it seems even more feasable now with the controller... That, and Ninty getting a hold of UT2007 on the Rev list.
Stevz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevz
I'm still relying on a visor
i REALLY doubt thats happening

downloading games to your DS would be kinda cool. but all this downloading classic games makes me wonder how easy it will be to hack it. How long untill somebody makes all the official roms free on the internet and finds out how to transmit them to the revo? And with empty game carts? That smells like DS piracy right there.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
welshfreak
: )

Nintendo would not allow you to download onto DS for free, because they can sell you a classic game with an anerversary sticker on instead.
welshfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:00 AM   #9
spider-prime

even tho people pirate games, theres still more people who buy the actual product.

I say about a good 35% of the world has pirated stuff, and most of that is Asia haha

downloading roms isn't like MP3s.. yet anyways, but if people start pirating their downloadables, even tho I doubt it, cause well theres already roms released haha but people will probably make hacks to play your roms onto the DS, I have no doubts about that.

but the real thing will be for the hackers, to get the downloadable games, not to play on your computer, cause they already did that, but to hack them and play them in other people's revolution so they don't have to pay for them.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:50 AM   #10
Nem
Awakening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotaro
- The Revolution may have connectivity with the Nintendo DS or Nintendo's next handheld system (seeing as Nintendo says that the Nintendo DS is not the next Game Boy system). Nintendo Power magazine has said this is likely in its July 2005 issue. A reported interview with Mr. Miyamoto seems to confirm this; however, the legitimacy of the source is unknown.[12]
The so called new gameboy was the micro. The DS is Nintendo's current gen portable console.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:25 AM   #11
The Prince

I love the name: Nintendo Revo.
The Prince is offline   Reply With Quote