Old 09-23-2002, 10:20 AM   #1
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

Xbox needs big visit from Santa?

Quote:
Taken from CNN/Technology
Xbox facing crucial Xmas sales test
Pressure on for Microsoft to deliver the video game goods
Monday, September 23, 2002 Posted: 9:13 AM EDT (1313 GMT)

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- It's been just six months since Microsoft Corp. launched its video game console Xbox in Europe and there is already mounting pressure on the U.S. software giant to score a big Christmas.

The Xbox needs to end its first year with a flourish. If it doesn't, industry observers say, its prospects for turning a profit will be pushed back a few years, triggering some deep soul-searching at Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, Washington.

"If Microsoft has a disastrous Christmas, particularly in important markets like the UK and the U.S., then somebody in Redmond is bound to say, 'Wait a minute guys. This doesn't look good,'" said Toby Scott, editor of video game trade publication Games Analyst.

[...]
Read the rest here!

Good read, what do you guys think about it? Does the Xbox need a big Christmas? Is it going to get it? Discuss!
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 10:48 AM   #2
Nindalf

Heres my opinion(like someone cares):
Yes i think XB needs a big chrismas and so does PS2 and GC(well PS2 dosent need so big coz it has already sold over40million copies)

But i think XBOX will get free arse kicking this christmas from GC and PS2. Its chances are minium aggains GC and PS2!

But that just my opinion and im no expert or anything!
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 10:59 AM   #3
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

I knew I could count on your insight NiN!

Btw, did you read the whole article? I only ask because I didn't post it all, and wanted to know how many people will actually go and finish reading the article...
Old 09-23-2002, 11:08 AM   #4
crazytaxinext
Shazbut!

I think Xmas will be critical to Xbox especially in Europe were its success or failure hangs in the balance. But I also believe it will have 7 shades of you know what kicked out of it. This years line-up of titles is more competitive than it has been for years and in the last few weeks Xbox has seen nearly all its major titles slip to next year and from the handful that are left either most will slip as thats how Europe always is with waiting times:

For example, right now DOA:XBV is listed for Japanese release on December 5th. So, what are the chances that it will meet its Euro release of December 6th especially when no-ones played it yet?

Xbox has great games coming but sadly they aren't coming out when it matters most.
Now Playing: Legend Of Zelda Wind Waker
My Collection: www.videogametracker.com/~crazytaxinext
crazytaxinext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 11:09 AM   #5
Nindalf

I read the whole article and there was one thing that seemed interresting:It said this years console sales was about 14.2 Million and XBOX sales of them was 1.5million so do anyone know how mutch PS2 and GC has that?

And it also said MS looses 76-15 by every sold Xbox(and 249euros in europe! )

BTW i didint remember all those numbers...got to check the article again!
Old 09-23-2002, 11:18 AM   #6
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Microsoft wont make any profits off from the Xbox until atleast the year 2004/2005 when Microsoft is expected to break even. They need another Halo to help them get there. Now that they got Rare, PD0 might be the Xbox next system seller. Rare also makes ton of other games other than FPS, which something Microsoft needs for it first party software line up.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:19 AM   #7
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

Yeah NiN, it was $76-150 estimated dollars lost per console sold in the US at the selling price of $199 and Europe's selling price of 249 euros...

Quote:
From the Billster
They need another Halo to help them get there. Now that they got Rare, PD0 might be the Xbox next system seller. Rare also makes ton of other games other than FPS, which something Microsoft needs for it first party software line up
Yeah, they talked about that in the article- what do you think of the last line said in the article about this specifically, though.. do you think it holds some truth? Personally, I agree with it- it can't really be a viable business mold if they plan on doing this sort of thing... but perhaps Rare will be enough for them?

Last edited by l33t GAWD; 09-23-2002 at 11:21 AM.
Kid0_oIcarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 11:53 AM   #8
DBJAY

This article could almost be re-printed from last year. Of course, MS needs a big Christmas season, just like last year. This will never change, they will need another one again next year too. The article is witless speculation on events that might happen.

"MS might have a disastrous Christmas." Uh, why? Considering that the line-up of titles is better than last year, the hardware costs less, everything about the software have improved, and the Xbox Live initiative has just started. Given these factors, the author thinks that a disastrous Chrtistmas is a possibility. Odd. I would think the odds were even higher against success last year.

The author states opinion as fact, but uses no criteria to explain his position.

The aquisition of Rare will certainly help them, but that effect won't really be seen until 2003 when Rare reveals their Xbox projects.

I think people tend to forget that Xbox is on it's one year anniversary in the US, and this is it's first Christmas in Europe. It has been a relatively good year one of software releases, and year two is starting out pretty good.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 12:01 PM   #9
crazytaxinext
Shazbut!

Good year for you. In Europe MS is flaing to release anything off the back of the last 6 months when its failed to release anything.
Now Playing: Legend Of Zelda Wind Waker
My Collection: www.videogametracker.com/~crazytaxinext
crazytaxinext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 12:09 PM   #10
Nindalf

crazytaxinext is right!
in europe and Japan Xbox isint doing so well!
But maybe this christmas changes it who knows...
but my moneys are on that GC and PS2 will beat XB this year!
Old 09-23-2002, 03:29 PM   #11
aneep

ppor article IMO, rehashes the same thing as every other 'Xbox is teh d00med!' articles that has been posted since before xbox was launched

interestingly enough, the most intertaining 'xbox is teh d00med!' article i have read is over at MSNBC

CNET ones are not bad too, at least they ask a whole lot of ppl in the industry

not just one like this one here

-aneep-
aneep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 07:19 PM   #12
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Xbox just might be the best selling console in America this holiday season. Some market research company surveyed something like 5,000 people who were going to buy a console this holiday season. Xbox: 37% PS2: 35% and GG:28%. It won't be Nintendo, they have fired most of their big guns already, not to many games left for a strong holiday season in America.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 04:08 AM   #13
Nindalf

Hey AtaiX...it was 5000people!what is matter...

It stupid to go and ask few thousand people when there is milllions of people in america!
The results can be totally different!Nintendo could sell most and Xbox less...
Only if they would have ask about250k people or something maybe then i would have believed on that but now that means nothing to me
Old 09-24-2002, 01:04 PM   #14
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

No need to get riled up- and yes, AtariX I remember that article well... in fact I remember it having taken place quite a while back, actually before the exact details of Nintendo's release list were known. Oh, sure you knew Mario was coming, and so was Link- but I say if that survey was conducted again the results would be quite a bit different.

Since Nintendo is coming on so strong this holiday season and early next year- that just leaves one question out... what do they have in store next?

;>
Old 09-24-2002, 01:56 PM   #15
DBJAY

Nintendo has very little in store for what's next.

StarFox is the next "big" exclusive game to hit, and then Metroid.

Zelda's release date changes like the wind, and that is at least several months off. 1080 WS and Wario World (which was delayed from it's original date), might come in early 2003. Every other major game shown or anticipated, have no release months/quarters.

When is Mario Kart coming? Mario Golf? Mario Tennis? Will Mario Party 4 hit it's date? When will Sega's F-Zero hit? When will Namco's StarFox game hit? The rumored Zelda remakes..when?

Quite a bit of Nintendo's GC unveiling two years ago included teasers of games yet to be released, like White Storm, Zelda (which completely changed looks into cel-shading), or things like Meow's Party (a tech demo assumed to be a game, but alas, Pokemon is still hand held only 2 years later).

The Nintendo infamous pr blackout makes it next to impossible to be excited about "what's next" projects for the GC.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote