Joe Redifer
Olé!

Now is a great time for:

Super Monkeyball 2
9/10
Gamecube Nintendo

If you see this box at a game store,
BUY IT IMMEDIATELY! Do not question the price
or anything else. You will not regret it.

Story: 3/10
This version actually has a story mode, unlike the original Super Monkeyball. This time Doctor "Bad-Boon" (yeah, awesome ain't it?) is trying to take over the world, and OBVIOUSLY only you monkeys can stop him. He leaves diabolical traps (the game stages) for you that you must get through to stop him. There is even voice acting in "chimp language". It's pretty bad. And pretty tough. You can unlock a lot of cinemas and the like by playing through story mode.

The great graphics return and are even better this time around.
Switches are one of the new concepts that have been added to the game.

Graphics: 10/10
The graphics here are a step above the original Super Monkeyball. There is more detail in everything you see, from the playing field itself to the lively backgrounds. Tons of color will greet your eyeballs. This game also gets it right by offering 480p and 16:9 widescreen. Super Monkeyball is one of the few games in existence to get 16:9 done right. None of the menus are stretched or anything like that. Truly a great experience! Everything animates at 60 frames per second (as opposed to fields per second like the first game which did not offer 480p) and there is never a moment of dropped frames or slowdown. A great looking game with excellent visual design.

Check out the difference between the normal (4:3) mode on the top,
and the wide (16:9) mode on the bottom. Thank you Sega for including this!

Sound: 8/10
Right at first you may think that the original game had better music. You'd be right in a sense... the original game throws good music at you right away. So does Super Monkeyball 2, just not quite as good right away. But some of the upper stages have outstanding music that fully fits the game and is very enjoyable to listen to. And yes, once again T's Music is responsible for the tunes. The sounds are pretty much the same as the previous game, with the monkey voices as you progress and the like, but the voices in the story mode are pretty annoying and make you ashamed to listen to them. The disc curiously labels the game as supporting Dolby Digital 5.1, but the Gamecube is incapable of that, so I must assume that's a misprint until a special digital audio cable is released and I am proven otherwise. Overall I'd say it's a pretty good sound package, though!

Gameplay: 9/10
Gameplay remains remarkably similar to the first game in most respects, and in that area it most definitely exceeds. To add some strategy the designers added warp gates and switches. The warp gates will (obviously) warp you to another area in the stage. The switches can do anything from speeding up the motion of a stage, slowing it down, or even pausing it. Messing with the warp gates and switches is fun, but it's not as fun as pure unadulterated Monkeyball-ness, so I had to subtract a point because of that. There are tons upon tons of stages in the story and challenge modes (same concept as the main game in Super Monkeyball 1), but now there are twice as many minigames! You have Monkey Shot which is a rail shooter and you must shoot down various objects that threaten the universe. Old favorites like Monkey Race and Monkey Target return with all new stages. Monkey Target is a bit different than the first outing, and the strategy takes a different approach as well. Still Monkey Target remains my favorite minigame and is tons of fun to play. Once again Sega has polished everything, but entering your name is nowhere near as cool as it was in the first game, and the game you play as the credits roll is about 1/5th as fun as the original game. Oh well, it's still beats sitting there watching the credits and doing nothing. The control remains perfect for the main game and awesome for the minigames. Anyway as you can probably tell, this game is incredible!

The new version of Super Monkey Target
has a mode where you can use 5 monkeys at once.
You can also play as a single monkey like in
the original game, and that method is more fun.

Download a Quicktime video!
To see how much fun this game is, download the Quicktime video and check it out. Don't be fooled, it is not as easy as I make it look, but it is every bit as fun. The video is 4.3 MB and only 34 seconds long. I apologize for the large size, but being that everything moves so quickly in this game, it is difficult to get good compression. Quicktime 6 is REQUIRED.

Wrap up:
Though not *quite* as good as the first game, this game should still absolutely be purchased several times by every individual on the planet at full price. What a great concept this game and the original are! More Sega, MORE!!!!

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 11-24-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote