View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #27
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

I assume the intent of any story is to invoke an emotional reaction. Now that piece from the Guardian that is quoted misses the point, which is no surprise as that publication is extremely politically correct. They go through great lengths to project their stilted logic as some kind of objective truth.

As always they try to make the issue bigger than it really is by pretending videogame storylines are some socially relevant issue but just to tackle their main 2 mistaken assumptions: the fact that men and women aren't different and that pointing out any difference is 'sexism' when ofcourse both genders are different. It's simply evolutionary hardwired into our instinct, no amount of social conditioning from the extreme feminist agenda will change that.

Second is that rape happens. It's simply an undeniable and unfortunate reality that women can fall prey to such invasion on their physical integrity. Then being upset and again accusing the developers for being 'sexist' by taking a woman as a rape example is just ridiculous and ignores the whole point of the emotional impact it is supposed to represent.

So should realistic(not to be equated with natural) portrayal of human behavior no matter how undesired be depicted within the context of a storyline of a videogame? I think so because the interactivity can heighten the emotional impact in ways no other medium can. Can the developers do it in a way that it has relevance on the plot and the character development of Lara? Then indeed I agree with Ernst it can be considered 'art'.

Though to be honest I never thought to be having these kind of discussions about a Tomb Raider game :p
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote