View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 02:16 AM   #312
Joe Redifer
Olé!

M.U.S.H.A.
8/10
Sega Genesis

A good looking box... for a U.S. game??!!

Metallic Uniframe Super Hybrid Armor. Here we have the best vertically scrolling shooter ever created for the Genesis and possibly one of the best vertically scrolling shooters on any system. Programmed by the masters at Compile (Power Strike, Robo-Aleste, Space Megaforce, Golvellius, etc) this game simply kicks ass. It packs 7 levels of fast-paced action into a wimpy 4 megs. But it seems that Compile knows how to cram quite a bit into 4 megs.

In this game you must shoot everything that isn't you!

Graphics: 7/10
The graphics in this game are very colorful and detailed. You get up to three layers of scrolling and a great sense of depth (just wait until level 3, hot shot)! You get some pseudo-scaling as well. Your ship (actually a mech) is quite big compared to other shooters, and that can make it difficult to avoid being hit. But the graphics do not disappoint in any aspect, and considering when the game was made (1990) it makes them seem even better. Certainly not the best visuals ever on the Genesis, but pretty damned good for the day.

Stage 3 gives you an awesome sense of height, just like my ego!

Sound: 8/10
M.U.S.H.A. also sports a fantastic soundtrack. It sounds much better than many games released later in the Genesis' life, and it is presented in full stereo. The super-synthy music is usually fast-paced metal, leaning more towards speed metal at times. If this had been a CD game you would have been destroyed by the guitar attacks (the follow-up to this game for the Sega CD called Robo Aleste had great techno-ey music). But even on the Genesis it sounds very pleasant. I hate it when people say that the Genesis has a bad sound chip. It doesn't. Usually these same people have no problems with how the TurboGrafx-16 or the NES sounded, nor do they have a problem with the cheesey reverbed synth-orchestra type of sounds that was way too prevelant in many SNES games. Oh well, people are stupid and they should die. The title screen music is directly from Power Strike's title screen on the Sega Master System, only redone with sweet 4-meg Genesis sound. The sound effects are pretty good, with a gratifying digital pop type of sound when enemies explode, and the bosses make weird mechanical screams as they are defeated. I really like stage 2 where posts creep in from either the left or right side of the screen (or both) and you can hear it from either the left or right speakers, depending on what's happening onscreen. Very ambitious sound for 1990.

Think of mid-bosses like assistant managers; weak and easily defeated.

Gameplay: 8/10
Fantastic! Although it starts out fairly easy, you will soon be overwhelmed as the stages progress. Much of that is due to how crappy you are at videogames, and the rest is how many things are onscreen and shooting at you all at once. Hold on, I need to take a piss, I'll be right back. OK I am back and I also got a donut while I was up. I would have gotten one for you, but I don't think my e-mail will accept a donut as a file attachment. Oh well, sucks to be you. What were we talking about? Oh yeah, M.U.S.H.A.! It's a great game. You should play it. You have a normal shot and your choice of 3 special shots as well as collectible little "options" which you can change to behave in different ways. This game blows Space Megaforce on the SNES away in every category: graphics, sound, and gameplay. Ew, this donut is kind of stale. Time to throw it away. Anyway this is a solid experience. You really should play it, ya know?

Greg gets his ass handed to him before the game starts,
so you won't have to listen to his whining anymore.

Wrap up:
One of the best vertically scrolling shooters ever made.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote