View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 11:49 PM   #1235
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Hotel Dusk - Room 215
9/10
Nintendo DS

The box artwork isn't as good as the game's.

It's games like Hotel Dusk which make me cherish my Nintendo DS even more. I have heard many people talk about some other DS game called "Touch Detective" when referring to this game. I'm not sure why as I looked up Touch Detective and it looked like some sort of lame furry alien adventure. This is nothing of the sort. This game is good. Sure, it can be called a "point and click" type of game, but it is much better than The Manhole (Mac, PC Engine CD).

This is the first time the word "idiot" appears in a Nintendo game.
And pothead Louis sure seems happy about being called an idiot.

Story: 8/10
The writing in this game is superb. Characters are very human and have realistic dialog. The game takes place in the fabled year of 1979 in a hotel. That's right, it takes place BEFORE Shenmue. The story can seem a bit slow to unfold, but it is worth it. The amount of coincidences are a bit crazy, however this is a fictional game. That means there are actually NO coincidences. It's like a good book, but unlike books Hotel Dusk requires thought and at least some mild brainpower. I really like the main character, Kyle Hyde. I'm not sure how there could be a sequel to this game, but I like the character & the way he interacts with everything and I'd like to see more games of this style with him in the future.

Here's what it looks like as you wander around the hotel. Yay!

Graphics: 9/10
This game uses a graphic and animation style that is exactly like A-HA's "Take on Me" music video from the 80's. It doesn't get much cooler than that, I say. Each character has many animations and crap like that. Worry not as there are polygons in this game. Most gamers these days can't live without polygons, so they have been included to ensure your survival. However the polygons here are worse than a slightly-below-average Sega Saturn polygon game. But beggars can't be choosers, and I know you're begging for some hot polygon action.

You can write yourself notes so you don't forget things, that is if you actually know
how to write. Well, do you? Most people only know how to type or hw 2 txt lol.

Sound: 7/10
The tunes were provided by T's Music and most are very good and appropriate and all that crap. There are a few that are average/dull. I wish A-HA would have provided the music instead. But then my brain would be confused because A-HA did not exist in 1979, so I'd get the 80's music video feel for a game that took place in 1979. Maybe the Bee Gees should have done the music. There are a few sound effects in this game as well. The game is in stereo, believe it or not. Did stereo exist in 1979?

Kyle Hyde likes to quiz himself at the end of each chapter.
If you get ANY question wrong, all save files are deleted and the
DS refuses to power back up for at least three days!

Gameplay: 9/10
This game really draws you in. Very addictive. You can play with the touch screen, pad/buttons or both. I recommend the touch screen. It also has setups for both right and left handers. Of course I played in right-handed mode since I am not a criminal. There are many minigames/puzzles to solve and even a bowling game that completely destroys Wii Bowling. One thing I really like is the ability to write notes in the notebook. I also like the multiple save slots (Phoenix Wright are you listening?). There is no way to get completely stuck in this game. If the story is not advancing, it is because you are doing something wrong and/or are not very skilled at life. It's not that the game is not super easy or anything. In fact I bet you'll see the Game Over screen more than once in your journey. Some people complain that the text advances too slow. I really didn't find this to be a problem. But once you've read a certain block of text, you can really speed through it the second time. After you beat the game and start again (from the same save slot) almost all of the text really flies by superfast as a result. But like most games that have a story, it's best to only play it once every few years or so. It could be a bit tough to turn around and play it right away again unless you're just trying to fill in holes in the story that you didn't realize the first time around. Unfortunately there is no way to unlock the arcade version of Golden Axe in this game, which really is quite odd.

There are many little minigames spread throughout. Yay again!

Wrap up:
I like this game and you should, too. Expect to spend between 17 and 20 hours your first time through. The language in this game is not geared towards kids, and I am glad to see that Nintendo is finally starting to grow up. A definite worthwhile purchase.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote