Old 12-15-2004, 11:56 PM   #232
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Gunvalkyrie
8/10
Xbox

Look at that ass! Mmmmm yeah!
You know you want to grab it.

This is it. This is the game that made me buy an Xbox, even though I had never played it before. I already had a Gamecube Nintendo (its proper name) and the Dreamcast was dead. I craved more Sega action! I saw this game sitting on the shelf in Gamestart or some retarded store like that. I looked at the back of the box and it looked cool! I also saw the Dolby Digital 5.1 logo. Until then I really didn't care about the Xbox, rarely read about it, and had no idea that the machine could do 5.1 Dolby Digital sound. I was stoked. So the next day I bought an Xbox, Gunvalkyrie, and probably some other game. And what an awesome game this was. Originally planned for the Dreamcast as a light gun game (which also made use of the D-pad on the light gun itself), Sega decided to kill the Dreamcast and made this for the Xbox instead. I'm glad they did. This game would have been much worse as a light gun game.

You get to watch her ass for the whole game!

Graphics: 7/10
The graphics are really solid, especially for back when I first got my Xbox. Nowadays they won't blow you away, but they still hold up well. You get 480p but are stuck with the 4:3 aspect ratio. Oh well. There are lots of strange colors, but often times the game does tend to lean a bit towards the dark side. Everything is nice and sharp and usually moves with great fluidity. Some of the character designs in this game are really cool, especially the bosses. There is some draw-in waaaaay in the distance if you look, but it in no way makes me want to stop playing the game and go shoot myself or something else silly.

If you don't like bugs, stay away from this game!

Sound: 8/10
The music is pretty good, but not fantastic. There are a few good tunes that play that'll make you want to get out your top hat, baton and tapping shoes. I do own the soundtrack, which was released in the US. Then there is the music in Nalfagar's Pit, if you can call it music. You get a creepy xylophone track accompanied by the crazy ramblings of the game's main whacko (your dad, by the way). It is weird to listen to and definitely creates a very memorable aspect of the game. Haley's chosen! The sound presentation overall is excellent. The Dolby Digital 5.1 features spectacular use of the subwoofer when you jump and dash, and you can hear where the creatures are around you perfectly. The sound effects are all very well recorded and sound great. I'm glad that this was my first experience with Dolby Digital 5.1 during gameplay. I had earlier heard 5.1 during the opening cut-scene on Metal Gear Solid 2 for the PlayStation 2, but it couldn't compare to this. Plus the PlayStation 2 can't do Dolby Digital during the actual gameplay.

Use your grappling beam to get across quickly, OMG!

Gameplay: 8/10
For me this was a very fun game. You have a map and on it you can see your enemies, and you simply MUST destroy them all! Every last damn one of them. I liked seeking out that one enemy I missed, killing him, and then being able to complete the stage. The boss fights can be very involving, but they are all cool and exciting. The controls couldn't be better. With a small bit of practice you can even learn to fly, which is even required in some of the earlier stages when you're playing over a giant pit. The opening stage features a built-in tutorial explaining how to jump, dash, etc. You can get a few extra weapons and stronger suits, but no one really cares about that. Sometimes you use a grappling beam to get across chasms... I think that might be similar to Metroid Prime, I dunno. Metroid Prime becomes extremely boring after the first 12 or 13 seconds or so. But I swear I remember Samus using an electrical beam to get across something, and I thought "they ripped that off from Gunvalkyrie!" My memory may be jacked up since even short-term exposure to Metroid Prime can destroy millions of brain cells. Anyway, you can also play as some loser dude, but I don't think anyone's ever played as him. He's in there just so it seems like you have more options. This game is insanely hard and you really have to practice A LOT to beat it. Damn! I think most people just give up and think the game sucks. But for me, this is a classic Sega game and one that belongs on every Xbox owners shelf.

Wrap up:
One of the most overlooked and underrated titles for the Xbox.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote