Old 11-07-2004, 06:18 AM   #18
Joe Redifer
Olé!

RIGHT NOW!

Super Monkeyball
10/10
Gamecube Nintendo

Hell yeah! The best Gamecube game ever!

When my friend Dave (fellow forum member Vicviper) first got his Gamecube Nintendo, I stood with him in line outside of EB before it opened. There were about a dozen other people there I believe. This was back when everyone just called it the "Gamecube" and not "Gamecube Nintendo" (those were the days). But since people refer to it as "GCN" I MUST refer to it as "Gamecube Nintendo" since that's exactly what GCN stands for. I can be a total retard just like people who say "GCN" instead of "GC" (including Nintendo). Just please don't ask how Nintendo refers to the GameBoy Advance or else we'll all go to hell. Anyway, when Dave finally got to the register to pick up his purple Gamecube Nintendo (the only color available much to his dismay), he also bought three games that were, coincidentally, compatible with his brand new system. Imagine that! He bought Luigi's Mansion, Waverace 64, and of course Super Monkeyball. We drove all the way back to his house and powered up Luigi's Mansion. We turned it off before the Gamecube Nintendo logo even finished drawing itself on the boot sequence since the game was so boring. Either that or the game was just really, really short. Then we plugged in Waverace 64. It was an awesome update of ummm, Waverace 64. Waitaminute... Waverace: Blue Storm is the Gamecube Nintendo version! Yeah, that's right. Anyway after that we powered up Super Monkeyball, and that's when other friends of ours started coming over (they could smell the fun from their homes and naturally gravitated to where this game was being played). What a great, great day indeed. I was totally impressed with the new Gamecube Nintendo due to this new game. And what a great game it was/is. The memories of that day still linger in my head every time I play this game. Fond memories kick ass. I knew right then that this would be the best Gamecube Nintendo game ever made, barring the possibility of a superior sequel.

Story: 5/10
You are trapped in a ball. You must get to the goal. If you get through all of the goals, you are rewarded with tons of bananas. What more could a monkey want? This story simply kicks ass. Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings suck compared to the Super Monkeyball story. We'd have to wait until Super Monkeyball 2 to get a better story.

Try not to fall off the edges or hit a bumper!
This game truly kicks an amazing amount of ass!

Graphics: 8/10
Very sharp graphics and a constant 60 fields per second make for a very nice looking game indeed. Lots of color and well used reflections iron things out. Sega really seems to like the "checkerboard" style of grid, as it was taken straight from Space Harrier. I certainly don't mind that. This game has lots of visual style in the main game and all of its minigames as well. The backgrounds look nice and are well designed, and the DOLE logo is represented in it's true form. Everyone loves Dole. We learned about Dole in high school from our ultra-radical/conservative religion teacher, who was trying to teach us that Dole was evil just because they steal land from poor farmers in foreign lands. Who cares? Everyone does that! Dole is cool and poor foreign farmers are not. Would you rather see a Dole logo plastered all over Super Monkeyball, or the face of a poor foreign farmer? Dole wins! Hooray Dole! Boo Ms. Gacnik, our radical religion teacher! Boy was she ugly. She even had kids, if you can believe that. Her husband must have been blind or she took a trip to the sperm doner clinic or something. But at least the graphics in Super Monkeyball make up for her extreme ugliness! Unfortunately the game does not support either 480p or widescreen. Hopefully the Xbox version will remedy that.

One of the easy stages in the game.
All of the stages are ridiculously fun!

Sound: 8/10
The music in this game is great. Very catchy and appropriate. Of course you expect the music to be great since it was made by none other than T's Music of Japan. T's music also provided the fantastic music for Lords of Thunder for the TurboDuo. And of course let's not forget the great music of Dungeon Explorer 1 and 2, for the TurboGrafx-16 and CD, respectively. You also get to hear the monkeys make tons of noise as they roll around in their little prisons. They scream as they roll really fast or wobble on an edge. Great stuff! The baby's whining can get a bit annoying at times, but it is never as grating as that horrible sound in that Yoshi's Island game or whatever it was called for the SNES with the insipid little baby Mario. That game was audio torture! This game most certainly is not.

Gameplay: 10/10
The gameplay is where this game truly shines. The single player main game is simply awesome. You roll around trying to get from start to finish. That's it. But getting to the goal is not always easy... well it is for me but not for most players. Each of the skill levels has unique stages of their own. It's best to start out on easy and work your way up to the hardest. I can beat any of them any time now, and I still love going through the main game. Occasionally there are bonus rounds where you must collect all of the bananas before the time runs out. Every 100 bananas you collect gets you an extra monkey, but other than that, the bananas are completely meaningless. Still though it's fun to try and grab them. There are no buttons to worry about pressing during the game, just the single analog stick is all you need, and control is more than superb, it is downright perfection! Pressing the giant red button on the Gamecube Nintendo controller will zoom in your map or zoom it out, but it does not affect gameplay. Sega has made a game of everything, even inputting your name when you get a high score. I love that! When you beat the game, you try to collect as many bananas as possible as you avoid the falling letters from the name of the people who made the game. Yes, you even play during the credits! Classic stuff. Then there are the really cool minigames like Monkey Race, Monkey Golf, Monkey Bowling, Monkey Fight, Monkey Target, etc etc. All of these games are fun, some more than others, and all are multiplayer. Monkey Fight is a 4-player beat 'em up that is just random chaos, but fun chaos. Monkey Target is one of my favorite minigames as it adds strategy and requires super-precise control (plus has great music). It's always a battle for the highest score, and some amazing things can be done to get it. This game has TONS of replayability value and it's one of the most fun games I have ever played in my life. I purchased a Gamecube Nintendo solely for this game and I do not regret it even one iota. No other game this generation can compare. Yes, it's better than Halo, better than Metroid Prime, better than Grand Theft Auto Vice City. This game has way more polish and is way more fun and replayable than ANY game released this generation. Period. Remember, my reviews are fact, not opinion.

Monkey Target is one of the best minigames in the game.
You fly around and try to land on the spot that gives you
the most points. You can marathon with this game.

Wrap up:
This is the best game that has been released in a good 5 years or so and remains uncontested in that position. Leave it to Sega. Super Monkeyball is right at home on the Gamecube. Unfortunately with the game coming out on the other 2 systems, it takes some of the exclusivity away from Nintendo as well as some of the appeal of the system itself. If you don't have a Gamecube Nintendo, be sure to pick up Super Monkeyball when it comes out for your system! I'll be back really, really soon with a Super Monkeyball 2 review, and I'll compare the games in depth... or at least as deep as I want to go.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 11-24-2004 at 04:47 PM.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote