View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #71
Northeastmonk

One thing I’d like to add about FFXIII is you can have a different leader, but only one character is controllable during combat. I don’t think I made that clear in my review.

Bayonetta – PS3

Outside of loading issues (which don’t affect combat whatsoever) Bayonetta runs just fine on the PlayStation 3. Hideki Kamiya made one hell of a game. Not only do you feel the impact and references from his previous work and so forth but Bayonetta includes some of the largest and longest boss battles that I have ever seen. Just don’t get the impression that I like this more then DMC. I’m not hating or bashing.

Story: Bayonetta is an Umbra Witch, forced in a feud over 2 stones. One stone belonging to the sages and the other with the Umbra witches. During the beginning of the game you realize that Bayonetta doesn’t remember her past and the question of why she is fighting these angels in the first place is still unclear. I still don’t understand why these Angels look so demonic. The story is sort of boring, but the epic boss battles make the film reel cut scenes a bit easier to sit through. I personally never liked the film reel theme.

Gameplay: Devil May Cry style action. A move list that moves twice as fast as DMC and the switch between weapons mimics that of DMC3. If for some reason you are looking for an excuse to put down DMC3SE, this is the game. The bosses are huge and some of them take an entire chapter just to fight. The presence of arcade inspired levels *Hang On & After Burner* feel forced. It’s as if they needed fillers and thought of old Sega games. Give me ShenMue’s motorcycle sequence any day of the week over this kind of gameplay.

Graphics: Although the battle system is enjoyable, the graphics are about on par with that of early next gen titles. Some levels look amazing, while some tend to be bland and dull looking. Not that I care about which scene was in game and which was rendered completely, but some character models and some levels look similar to that of DMC, like PS2 quality. For example, the level in DMC3 where Dante escapes time and gravity (forgot the name or chapter) is so much more enjoyable then Bayonetta’s toned down re-imagining of the concept.

Sound: The cast is comparable to DMC, but nothing spectacular. If you can enjoy the constant random quirky humor and repetitive music you’ll be just fine. I was hoping they would include the song from the NA commercial (NOPE!), but instead they play “Fly Me to the Moon” repetitively (very annoying if you ask me). The soundtrack is included by in game means. In my opinion it’s more convenient to have a hard copy. There is a progression menu that uses a map, the theme playing reminds me of so many Capcom games.

Score: 8 out of 10

Overall: Bayonetta has some very enjoyable combat mechanics and some unique storytelling. But the annoying music, level design mechanics, and storyline keep it from reaching the level of Devil May Cry. I also would like to make a point about the so called “raunchy” sex theme everyone is talking about. It’s not that shocking. I personally find God of War’s mythological nudity more enjoyable.

Recommend: I finished the game in 11 hours, unlike some reviews that mentioned 17-20. My advice to those who run through DMC and Ninja Gaiden Sigma without a problem to simply rent this title or wait till the price drops. The extra content is not worth paying full price.

Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

I’m a dedicated fan of the series. I don’t say too much about it but I really enjoyed Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. But when it comes to versions I’ll pay for and enjoy, well it’s definitely not the cell shaded Zelda. I try not being bias and simply enjoy it as an entry level in the series. But from now on I’m just not going bother with cell shaded Link unless Nintendo forces me to, like Windwaker.

Story: Link (if you named him that) is a train engineer who just got his license. As he talks to Zelda they become aware of a possible threat for Hyrule and the spirit tracks, which are tracks that connect villages to temples and Hyrule castle to etc Zelda also aids Link in his journey as a ghost, so you get some extra help during dungeons. And thus starts the journey to destroy the person for making the tracks disappear and bring peace once again to Hyrule. It’s a tough story to enjoy if you hate trains IMO.

Gameplay: Since it is on the NDS you won’t be controlling Link with the d-pad, but with the touch pad instead. You point and slice to attack, blow air into the DS mic for various usages, and wonder around aimlessly while operating a train. Riding the train does get boring after a while and is one of the reasons I haven’t finish the entire game. Boss battles are fun, but the game doesn’t come close to its big brothers. Zelda also helps you along the way, since she can possess statues found in dungeons. And controlling her does get frustrating at times. I don’t know how many times I ran her into something and had to redraw her path.

Graphics: Some of the best I’ve seen. Even though the scale is very small you can see a great amount of detail the core of the game reveals. Don’t expect to see more then trains and basic Zelda themes.

Sound: A very basic Zelda score for this DS version. Not that it’s bad or anything, but not as epic as I am used to.

Score: 7 out of 10

Overview: I like my Zelda large and on a console. I’m not trying to bash this DS game, but this was my first choice before picking up anything else. I was impressed once the game progressed to boss battles, but I was easily disappointed when all it came down to was traveling from dungeon to dungeon using the train.

Recommend: I’d say get it used or real cheap if you seriously need a Zelda fix before the next major title comes out.

Last edited by Northeastmonk; 02-16-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote