View Single Post
Old 01-18-2003, 01:21 AM   #18
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

The Time Machine II

Chrono Trigger - SNES - Rating 7
What a treat SNES owners got in 1995 with the release of Chrono Trigger, a dream-game project which included the likes of Hironobu Sakaguchi (the father of the Final Fantasy series), Akira Toriyama (who did the designs for Dragon Quest series and Dragon Ball Z) and Yuji Horii (who isn't as well known in the states as in Japan; he's the scenario writer for DQ series). Never before had such a dream team worked on one game before, and as a result the game received some of the biggest hype of any game ever made. I was always looking in my EGMs and Gamefan Magazines for anything related to CT before it was released. All everybody would talk about was how incredible this game was so of course that put me over the edge, waiting and waiting for the day this game would finally be released.
That day finally came and was an event the likes of Street Fighter II finally coming home on SNES. It was massive. I remembered how I sat there staring at the finest-looking RPG ever made, wondering how anybody could top it. It had everything an RPG gamer could ever dream of... awesome time-traveling ability with multiple maps, awesome character designs, incredible graphics, and some of the best music any system has ever produced, even still to this very day. The soundtrack is composed by Yatsunori Mitsuda (who also did other soundtracks later like Chrono Cross) as well as sporting pieces of music here and there by Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy series).
As I said before, this game was an event. The game boasts one of the best quests in an RPG and Square has yet to equal it to this day. You just can't come across quality gaming nowadays similar to this. The controls are fluid and intuitive, and features a great battle system unique to this game alone (however that one battle song always playing throughout the entire game wasn't that good). All of the characters and enemies animated which is in stark contrast to the FF series static drawings which I for one wish would animate. What really made this game stand out, however, are all of the awesome side-quests, the sense of exploration, and its unique presentation. There's so much that you can do, so much stuff to find that you have to go through it at least twice to get everything (thanks to another feature unique to this game, New Game +, which allowed the player for the first time ever to restart the game with all their belongings and power). There's 10 endings depending on when you finish the game but I only cared for about 2 of them - the ones which require that you go through the entire game.
There's no way I'm going into this review without mentioning the music. I've always loved the music to DQ and FF (except FF8 through 10) and this game is remembered for its stellar soundtrack moreso than anything else. Don't care what you say; the music is what made this game as great as it was. From Secrets of the Forest to Dreams Far Away it delivers in such a way that even if the game is dull in a part, if the song is good then it just doesn't matter. I often found myself stopping myself from engaging an enemy or leaving an area just so I could hear a song cadence -- that's how good it was. I bought the 3-CD soundtrack to the game (because I'm smart) and don't regret it in the least.
The game's not without flaws though. Some of the battling can get pretty dull at times and there's quite a lot of it, not a tremendous amount of variety in enemies, some things animate jerky/poorly, etc.
Virtually every RPGamer knows this game by now. And it's usually up there on most of their lists for best RPG of all time. For me, that's a tough call: I'd say that FF4, 6 and 7, most DQ games, both Lunars, and Phantasy Star 2 and 4 are among the better RPG experiences out there. That's my opinion though. Those games have more lasting value and challenge. But CT is undeniably a solid RPG experience that boasts some of the nicest visuals ever on SNES and certainly some of the best music.
All gimmicks aside, though, and it's really an average RPG with a fine polish.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 04-29-2004 at 02:21 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote