Old 12-29-2004, 08:51 PM   #268
Joe Redifer
Olé!

No.

Laguna Racer
0/10
Arcade

Check out the "game screen". It's NOTHING like the
real game. Midway is nothing but a bunch of liars!

In the magical year of 1977, Midway broke the technological barriers of videogames with their new "3 dimensional driving game with gear shift control". The world was so blown away that it shut down for a few weeks just to recover from the greatness that was this game. Elvis also died in 1977. Coincidence? I think not. This game is more awesome than I am!

Graphics: 0/10
Well the graphics are advertised as being "3 dimensional", but really it is vertical with a light tilt forward. There is no color, and no scaling. I give it a whole 1 point for trying to look 3D. Waitaminute.... that is way to high! I'm taking that point away... the graphics get a ZERO!

I've been racing for less than 20 seconds
and I've already gone over 200 miles!

Sound: 0/10
The game advertises "Realistic engine, acceleration, and crashing sound effects". Ha ha yeah right. I wonder if Yuzo Koshiro did the sound to this one. Oh wait he was probably only 3 or 4 years old at the most. So maybe he did do the sound. It does not seem to be in Dolby Digital 5.1 channel sound for some odd reason.

The crash graphics DESTROY Burnout 3!

Gameplay: 0/0
This game is so awesome to play! You start out by shifting to LOW GEAR and pressing the gas. A second later you shift to HIGH GEAR. Next you avoid cars by steering left, or maybe even right. The choice is yours. Don't worry, there are no turns in this great arcade hit. You just keep going forward until you crash. Soon the other cars will start AIMING for you, just like real life. The game features revolutionary analog control in the form of a steering wheel and a gas pedal. You can go up to 200 miles per hour, but the "MILES" meter in the upper right corner idicates that I am going about 5 miles per second. That's faster than anyone has ever gone ever! I was able to drive over 800 miles in less than 2 minutes. That's the equivalent of from my house in Denver, Colorado to south Dallas, Texas. In real life that drive takes about 11.5 to 12 hours with minimal stops. So Laguna Racer really gives you a sense of speed that you can't get in real life, and that's whay it's a huge draw. It's amazing that sequel upon sequel hasn't been made for this game.

Only 877 miles? if you're realy good, you can
drive around the entire world in about 10 minutes.

Wrap up:
A horrible game, even for the time. And Midway didn't even include "Fatalities" which usually makes up for horrible gameplay.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote