View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #40
Northeastmonk

First, I’m sorry it’s taken so long for more reviews, so I am going to double up on reviews.

FROM Software’s Demon’s Souls – PS3
Story – The story is very simple. The monumental/warriors of Nexus need your help in taking care in stopping a demon from being unleashed. This is what I took out of the entire story because the game focuses on game play over story. I played through my first time as the knight class. So this review is based on my experience as a Knight. The majority of this game is getting through 5 different sections of realms, each realm consist of 3-4 epic boss battles.
Gameplay – Gameplay is basically a mix of moves(slash, thrust, and a shield push), blocking and an action gauge. The action gauge goes away after attacking and blocking. There really isn’t a problem with enjoying this system outside the difficulty. The soul system is basically the key element to Demon’s Souls. Not in dying, but leveling up your character will take time.
Sound: Great, every character carries a personality. Its a very quiet game to be honest.
Graphics: The graphics are very “knights of the round”. The epic scale of monsters and feeling you have going up against a mob of slime are very relaxing. If you are comparing this to Oblivion, DS is very dark, and some what straight forward.
Overall: I give this an 8 out of 10. I think some people who are looking for an eye candy knight game will either be frustrated because the game makes you think and there is a down side to thinking. And every time you die it restarts from the beginning of where you teleported from. The challenge bar went up when I got this title.

The online mode looked entertaining to say the least, but I still lack the ability to play online. So there aren’t any impressions for online play. I understand that there aren’t any quest or bosses outside the main game.
*The trophies are worth picking this game up for.

White Knight Chronicles – PS3

I am not finished with this title, but my location tells (translations) me that I’m about to complete this game. I am pretty upset at how this game presents itself that I am going to write its review.
Edit: I just went back and completed it. Not many changes. Except the main story can be beaten at level 30 and the fact that being in "Knight mode" is the ticket to winning every battle. The level of difficulty is "easy" compared to other next gen rpgs on the market.

Story: Leonardo, a towns boy who attends a royal festival ends up fighting for the Princess and her dead father after a group of evil men interrupt the festival and take the princess away. The entire story follows this path. You ARE always going after the princess. The knight seems added for name sake, but it feels like a fantasy “Bodyguard” plot.

Gameplay: The game has a circle sphere that fills up after time. And at the bottom of the screen there are 3 rows to place a selected amount of attacks (which are filled by placing new moves learned by a sphere grid) and another row for items, equipment, defense, and knight. The game feels like FFXI to be honest. The grid allows points to be dispersed in upgrading certain weapon skills and learning magic. Note: some HP upgrades are found in weapon skills.

Graphics: The dungeons are large. You can run around an MMO type of environment and kill mobs after mobs. Ranging from small to large but the lack of having fun with this is because there isn’t much to do after leveling up in single player. The towns are only there for upgrading equipment and buying items. What I've learned from Online FAQS wasn't about the main quest (star maps your next location), but it was with online play and synthesizing.
Online mode consist of 12 Ranked Guild quest that are timed. And require a much higher level character and parties to complete.

Some points I'd love to get out of the way.
1.The main story feels short.
2.The knight transformation gets old after a while because you can’t skip the cinematic, but you can skip the main movies.
3. The monsters felt repetative (as in “didn’t I just go through a dungeon with these creeps?”) after a while and the bosses were too easy to kill outside some “implied” difficulty. I got so bored in crossing some dungeons that I had to backtravel, save, and then turn off the game. I can almost see why it scored so poorly in Japan.
4.I don’t feel the satisfaction as with Jeanne D’Arc. The characters don’t feel like they were placed in the game out of fate, but by luck. But you do feel Level 5’s overall appeal to WKC.
5.It received the same Famitsu score as Demon’s Souls.
6. Rouge Galaxy kills this game in story, but not with graphics.

Overall: 6 out of 10. The graphical appeal should of scored it higher and the appeal of each conversation, but the lack of enemies and total focus on advancing in the story without any stops made it lack so much.

My quick finished and unfinished reviews would go like this:
Gears of War 2 – 9.8 out of 10
Resident Evil 5 – 7 out of 10
KillZone 2 – 8 out of 10
Ryu Ga Gatoku: KENZAN! So far 8 out of 10
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots – 10 out of 10, the bonus bluray upped my score.
Resistance 2: 6 out of 10, big minus was Chicago not being as fun as I thought it would be.
Fable 2 - 9 out of 10
Fallout 3 - 9 out of 10

Here is my Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin review. Its been a while so bare with me.

Portrait of Ruin – DS
Story – A young man and women (see I told you it’s been a while) enter into Dracula’s castle and seek the dark fellow. This follows a series of paintings which take you on a wild goose chase to get to the count.
Gameplay: I enjoyed this title, it felts like a mix of everything I enjoyed in say a Mario game inside a Castlevania game. I was able to figure out some boss battles by just enjoying myself. Upgrading characters have stayed the same, but the mix of a 2nd player might added a small amount of upscale to the series.
Sound: Great, but does not equal to SOTN. Which is my favorite Castlevania by far.
Graphics: Very good, the 3D feel to some DS titles almost makes me sick, but Castlevania 2D games never make me upset.
Overall: Very good, the entire deal with Death “deleting your save if you died against him” scared me a bit, but I know from experience that saved games are a big deal.
8 out of 10

AOS was actually pretty good. I couldn’t find myself as involved in AOS as with POR, which is probably the reason I didn’t finish it.

Last edited by Northeastmonk; 08-28-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote