View Single Post
Old 01-01-2005, 12:48 AM   #280
Joe Redifer
Olé!

My last review of 2004!

Blazing Lazers
6/10
TurboGrafx-16

NEC only hired the best graphic designers.

One of the very first games released for the TurboGrafx-16 in the US was the vertically scrolling shooter Blazing Lazers from Hudson Soft. Most praised how great it was, and it was good, just not great. In fact I'd say it's only slightly above average at best. Let's take a look why... it'll be fun!

You must defeat this boss because he is so mediocre looking.

Graphics: 5/10
The graphics of this game are bleak at best. Most of the screen is usually filled with black or what seems like empty space much of the time. And when there is actual detail, it isn't necessarily well drawn detail. There is some parallax scrolling, believe it or not, but it's only stars which are ever in the background when the parallax occurs. Boring! The bubble stage is probably my favorite graphics-wise simply because of its uniqueness to the rest of the game. None of the weapons look particularly good or bad or stand out in any way, same with the boss designs. I wish more could have been done to help the graphics be less bland.

This stage reminds me slightly of the overhead portions
of the NES hit Blaster Master only much more boring.

Sound: 7/10
The sound definitely fares better than the graphics in this game. A few great tunes are provided. Right when you switch the game on you know the music will make sweet love to you, at least in some stages. One of my favorite tunes is the theme for the bubble stage (again) just because it is so cool and unique. The sound effects are all completely average in every way, and voices are provided when you get a weapon or some other form of power-up. If you want to know how these voices sound without actually hearing them, try this: Put you bottom lip against your top row of teeth (this assumes that you don't have a massive overbite, ya hillbilly!) so that you can effectively make a continuous "Vvvvvvvvvvvv" sound. Now while doing that, attempt to say "Ring Blaster" or "Photon tracker" or "Deceptor wave" but make absolutely sure you are still making the "vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv" sound while you say those phrases. That's exactly how Blazing Lazers sounds, and it is space-age state-of-the-art.

Bubbles! Bubbles!! This stage is the best in the game.

Gameplay: 6/10
Well this game is pretty much your basic vertically scrolling shooter. It moves quickly and there are a bunch of different types of power ups that you can get. Little purple orbs will help you power up your current weapon and you have your choice of "Multiples" (options that follow you) and "Shields" (I think they shield you. More research is needed). You play and play and play and eventually you'll get to a mid boss (most stages have mid bosses). Defeat it and you play and play and play and finally get to the stage boss. When you die, this game sets you waaaaaaaaaaaay back. I hate games that do that with a passion! But there is a unique flashing orb that you can collect that will let you restart where you died, and that can come in very handy. Overall the game is pretty easy and kind of boring. I still replay it from time to time and moderately enjoy it, but it's not as good as games like Power Strike on the Sega Master System.

The epic opening cinema display gives an overall narrative to the
backstory and really makes you feel the plight of all the characters.

Wrap up:
Not too bad, but you should play Battle Garegga on the Saturn instead!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote