Old 06-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #1269
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Samurai Shodown II
5/10
Neo Geo

I bought the Japanese version since it
was much cheaper... thank Buddha!

SNK has piss-poor designers and programmers, and this 202 mega game is testament to that fact. Every SNK-programmed fighter I have played has been extremely cheap and at least somewhat difficult to control. SNK fighting games do not welcome novice players, only the XtReMe hardcore are allowed to play. So basically the design of their games did not allow their fanbase to grow. Brilliant!

This game is fucking retarded.

Graphics: 7/10
The graphics aren't bad, but like the majority of Neo Geo games they're not particularly colorful, either. The Neo Geo supposedly had over 65,000 colors with the ability of putting over 4,000 of them onscreen at once, but you'd never know it by looking at their games. That's twice as many total colors as the SNES, and 16 times as many on screen at once, yet somehow the SNES raped the Neo Geo in terms of colors. SNK just didn't try very hard, I assume. The animation is acceptable and I can't fault it, though it isn't mindblowing in any way. It was certainly good enough back when this game was new. There is some full screen scaling when the characters get too far apart and it is fairly smooth. A ton of detail is lost when the screen shrinks, obviously. The backgrounds are drawn OK. Nothing really stands out too much or is really in any way memorable.

When the screen scales out, everything becomes a
jumbled mess of pixels that looks like ass.

Sound: 7/10
Lots of voices here, pretty much all in Japanese. I thought English was a required language for them in elementary schools over there. Those fags, they should be speaking English. Their language is obsolete. Anyway the quality of the voices and shit like that is good. The music is mostly atmospheric, and most of it sounds exactly the same (random Japanese instruments being plucked randomly with absolutely no melody whatsoever). There are so many Genesis and SNES soundtracks that kick the ass of this game. I thought the Neo Geo was supposed to be Bigger, Badder and Better. Guess not.

None of the characters have much individuality to
them. Like the music, they all seem the same to me.

Gameplay: 4/10
Playing this game is where the pain really comes in. It's way too difficult in single player mode. You have high and low blocks which in itself is extraordinarily gay, and every time you attack your opponent they grab and throw you. If you both attack each other at the exact same time, guess whose attack will count and whose doesn't? I'm generally pretty damn good at fighting games, but this one just sucks so much that I don't even want to play it. When your POW meter fills up, I think you can do a special attack, but you never get the time to press all of those directions plus the button required. It's like a full reverse half circle then forward plus A or D or some shit depending on the character. By the time you are even a quarter of the way through that, you are getting slashed or thrown. The game is not fun to play. No wonder Capcom makes money whereas SNK is bankrupt. If only they had made better games. SNK fans love the hell out of this game. But they have to. There's not a ton of stuff to choose from on the Neo Geo.

You can lose your weapons 'n shit. Curiously, if you want
to do a lot of damage, use your weakest attack again and again.
Medium and strong attacks rarely connect due to shitty design.

Wrap Up:
I really hate SNK fighting games. They're actually pretty good in two-player mode where the odds are even, but they are way too cheap in single player mode which was the basis of this review. I guess if you were weaned on SNK fighting games and never played a Capcom fighting game, this would appear to have quality. I laugh at SNK because they are bankrupt. Ha ha SNK! LOL @ U. The rest of the world laughs at you because you failed... HARD. The game gets an additional point due to the nonsensical Engrish in the game. Sometimes I don't even know what they are trying to say, as the text is often not even in complete sentences. Poor SNK, couldn't even afford an American to properly translate their text into coherent thoughts. But that's a good thing, I think. Engrish is funny. It's like it was written by a 5-year old, and I laugh at 5-year olds.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 06-16-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote