View Single Post
Old 08-12-2003, 11:03 AM   #226
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Bury my shell at wounded knee

TMNT ~ Turtles in Time - SNES - Rating 6
This is the sequel to the original 4-player TMNT arcade game, and by the time this was released beat-'em-ups had reached their peak in popularity. Not only that, but fighting games were taking over the arcades. So Konami brought this game home along with many other stellar arcade-to-home conversions such as the mighty Sunset Riders. What beat the satisfaction, the luxury of playing your favorite arcade games at home, 80-90% intact? Takara was the king of SNK fighting game conversions, Capcom was the master of arcades (for awhile) with Street Fighter, and Konami was just Konami, which means 'just awesome', besides the fact that they never brought home the Simpsons arcade game.
Nothing was as important to me as my library of games (and library of game books/magazines ). Toys, cards, cartoons, food... all great, great things, but unnecessary. After all, who needs to eat dinner when they're fighting Golbez near the end of Final Fantasy II, searching for the 96th stage in Super Mario World, or trying to find the final piece of heart in Zelda? Nobody. I'd often stare at my library of games, thinking to myself "Hmmm, shall I take UN Squadron for another spin? Or, perhaps I should play through Bonk again. Hey! Is that Goonies II over there in the corner beneath my Boyz II Men CD?" Just kidding about the Boyz II Men CD. So, what does any of this have to do with Konami and TMNT? Beats me.
Konami's sequel to the original TMNT arcade is actually pretty fun and shows off just how fond Konami is of groovy shell-kicking beat-'em-up action. They also made the TMNT Tournament Fighters game for SNES (and one for the Genesis which shall remain unnamed here so as not to remind myself of Konami's sin). Turtles in Time (or TIT for short :dunno: ) plays and looks very similar to its predecessor. The Turtles, Foot Clan, and the rest are a bit bigger and more colorful than before, and the backgrounds look a bit better. You begin by selecting a Turtle (Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo, or Raphael), and you watch April reporting the news when all of a sudden the Statue of Liberty get stolen by Super Krang! Shredder intercepts the TV signal and laughs at the Turtles. And so it's off you go!
First things first, for those of you who've played through the arcade of TIT in its entirety, you should notice all the added stuff to the SNES version, such as new bosses and even a new stage! And of course, all the added options such as difficulty, control set-up, and sound tests. So the SNES version is superior to the arcade. Take that. The SNES conversion isn't 4-player though. Play controls are what you'd expect: one button attacks, another jumps, and you can either combine the buttons to perform a special attack, or, set the controls in the options to allow for one-button specials. Each time you use a special move on the enemies it takes some of your health, and you do have a limited number of continues. Each Turtle has a unique set of attacks, but Donatello is easily the most useful because of his bow which provides him with long-ranged attacks and priority. You can grab and slam enemies, throw them into the screen, and perform a sliding attack as well. As you move through stages showing the Foot Clan and whatever else that gets in your way who's their daddy, you'll come across two types of pizzas - one which restores health, and another which apparently contains 'Turtle Power', sending you off in a frenzied special attack which lasts a few seconds. The stages are varied and cool to look at, but the enemies can become a bit repetitious after the hundreth Foot Clan soldier. There are various types of Foot Clan soldier, such as the standard Foot Clan, the archer Foot Clan, etc. and there are other enemies and hazardous obstacles. The stages begin with the standard stuff, such as on top of a building and on the streets, and about 1/3rd of the way into the game the Turtles get caught in a time warp which sends them to different locations in different time settings such as a train in the wild west, on a pirate ship, and a prehistoric area. This feature of the game just seems like an excuse for Konami to use such outrageous scenery and I don't even know why they bothered because, aside from asthetics, the stages themselves are almost always played out the same way (kill 20 Foot Clan soldiers, move forward, etc.). It wouldn't have hurt to have added some other enemies, would it? On the train, you'll come across Foot Clan riding on horses beside the train. They'll jump aboard, you'll decimate them just like every other soldier, and that's that. The most variety you get is in the hazard department. On the pirate ship, there's planks which you have to be careful not to step on because they'll swing up and whack you in the face. On top of the building on the first stage, there's huge steel balls which crash down. And in the sewers, there's spiked balls you have to avoid while riding on your hoverboard. My complaint is that, aside from the Foot Clan, the robotic dogs, and a few others, that's it. Bosses are cool, like Bebop and Rocksteady, the Rat King, Baxter, etc. and there's most of the game's funfactor.
The music is pretty good and some songs are very cool, such as some of the Technodrome songs, and the best one is the hoverboard stage near the end. The sounds are almost always top-quality, and there are voices as well though some of these seem a bit muffled, such as Shredder's laugh.
This being the fourth installment in the beat-'em-up lineage of TMNT games, I expected a bit more than a cosmetic upgrade. But nevertheless, this game remains pretty fun to go through once again. It just lacks variety and replay value. This is suprising, given the track record of Konami up to that point in time. As Kurt Russell said, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Here's screenshots ~ http://http://www.n-philes.com/php/e...vulauufyfy.php

Let's kick shell!

Last edited by Icarus4578; 01-01-2005 at 02:59 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote