View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
darren
... lol

Darren's short and sweet opinions of what i've been playing

Since i have been putting these in the 'What i've beaten' thread I thought they would be better placed here.

XBOX360:: Metro 2033 (PC version also available)

Overview:
Metro 2033 is an FPS with survival horror elements. The game is based on the novel Metro 2033 by Russian author Dmitry Glukhovsky. It was developed by 4A Games in Ukraine, who also developed S.T.A.L.K.E.R on PC.

The game is played from the perspective of a character named "Artyom". The story takes place in post-apocalyptic Moscow, mostly inside the metro system where the player's character was raised (he was born before the war, in unharmed city), but occasionally the player will have to go above ground on certain missions and scavenge for valuables. The enemies that the player will encounter range from human renegades to giant mutated rats and even paranormal forces known only as "The Dark Ones". Players frequently have to defend themselves with makeshift combinations of different weapons, e.g a revolver with a sniper scope attached, adding to the atmosphere and making the player feel that there is a lack of everything. Ammunition is scarce too and the more rare, Military Grade bullets are used as currency (to purchase supplies and guns), or in combat as a last resort, giving an added damage boost, forcing the player to hoard supplies.

Positives:
  • Great post apocalyptic atmosphere. The outside world is dull, bleak and cold with an eerie feel, and the subway stages are dark, damp and drab, with a sense of dread about what’s around the next corner.
  • Interesting story with a good script. So often FPS game have lame stories. With this being based on a book it has a solid and interesting story.
  • The game has great visuals, some of the best I’ve seen on the 360. Great detail for all of the areas and some very nice character models
  • It’s all about the single player, which is great for me as I’m not a great online shooter fan
  • It’s harder than your average shooter, much harder

Negatives:
  • The gun play is not a great as it could be. I’ve often stood in front of someone and shot him in the face only to see the shot had not registered.
  • Some of the voice acting is a bit naff, which is a shame with a story driven game.
  • Some very poorly laid out level map (Black Station being the worst).
  • The action indicator when you are next to where you might need to plant bomb is a VERY light small yellow icon which can be easily missed when walking by.

Summery:
play time to complete was about 13 hours

There is no doubt this game has issues. Wonky gun play and some poor map layouts are a few obvious examples. But i still found myself drawn to this due to the very well put together story thats being told.

If you enjoyed S.T.A.L.K.E.R as i did then the likely hood is you will enjoy this. For anyone thats interested in the story, the novel has now been translated into English. The game has left me wanting to read the book to get the full details of this very well told story. A sequal novel has been written and my fingers are crossed the book gets translated and a game made which fixes the issues this one did.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)

Last edited by darren; 04-05-2010 at 03:09 PM.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread