1-16 Players
Developer - Intelligent Systems
Publisher - Nintendo

My Bias
-Was really curious in the series

My Completion
-All Scenarios beaten

Story
There really isn’t a story to this game, or at least not a serious one. Wario is one day sitting on his couch about to eat and some little aliens steal his food. They run away and Wario gives chase. The chase continues into the alien’s temple where Wario finds the “Form Baton”, a rock that looks an awful lot like a Wii Remote. He then forgets about the food and walks off with the Form Baton.

That’s only Wario’s messed up story. The rest and majority of the game is then spent completing various side stories for each WarioWare character. At the very end, you finally go back to Wario and see conclusion to his story. I feel bad for him because he is forced to give the Form Baton back, but the aliens certainly don’t give his food back. What jerks!

Most of the character stories are pretty humorous. I didn’t laugh out loud or anything, but some of them put a smile on my face. Being my first WarioWare game I am new to all these established characters and was actually really surprised how good they all are.

Graphics
Supports Progressive Scan

The visuals for this game are all done in hi-res vector art which looks really good. The art is all drawn really well and it’s nice to see a game in this generation use simple art/sprites to do its storytelling. It uses the lazy animation technique found in games like Odin Sphere and Paper Mario where there really isn’t any drawn animation, characters just rotate sprites at their joints. You can watch my video below to better explain what I mean. The art style is cartoony with a touch of anime style. I have to mention that the way this game draws kittens is one of the most adorable things ever.

Great looking cartoon style

During the Micro-games the visuals vary. I really love the unique styles they picked for the micro-games. Sometimes it’s drawn in crayon, sometimes it’s some nice rendered 3D, and sometimes it’s some crude photograph cutouts. You never know what to expect and it really complements this games wacky/random style. The graphics never struck me as “bad” and if they did look crappy on screen it was intentional.

It's supposed to look sloppy like this..... I think

Music
The music of WW:SM is made up mostly of short loops. I’m talking 5-6 second sound loops that are played over and over. While these are pretty catchy they don’t really qualify as music in my opinion. The good news is that they don’t get annoying. There are also some short musical ditties that play while you do each micro-game. Again its really simple stuff only heard for a few seconds. It goes by so fast I certainly don’t remember any of it. During the retro Nintendo stages they play old Nintendo themes which I thought was awesome.

There are a few normal length songs in this game, and most of them are great. Every characters stage opens with an animated movie of them accompanied by an intro theme. I especially loved the disco theme for Jimmy T. There are also a main theme and a menu theme, both sounding pretty good but nothing amazing I’d want to listen to outside of the game. The characters Dribble and Spitz have a full vocal song play during their stage. While I’ve heard the full version before, in the game it’s broken up in-between the micro-games on their stage and so it sounds pretty neat instead of hokey.

Gameplay
For those of you who don’t have any idea what the WarioWare series is, I will briefly explain it. WarioWare games throw what it likes to call Micro-games at you in rapid succession and the goal is clear a certain amount of them without screwing up. The micro-games are like over simplistic mini-games that last only a few seconds. The challenge is not in performing the games, because they are toddler easy, but rather quickly figuring out what you need to do and doing it within the short time limit. It makes for some fast and frantic gameplay that constantly makes you think on your feet.

Before every micro-game the game will ask you to hold the remote a different way in preparation. It asks you to hold it in just about every conceivable way and really tosses things up so it doesn’t feel like you’re doing the same thing with a different background. As you progress through the single player it introduces you to these new poses so that you aren’t overwhelmed with them all at once.

The weirdest most embarrasing pose in the game

This game makes extensive use of motion control, and is one of the few games to do it right. Almost all of the actions work without a hitch and I found myself hardly struggling with the controls. The only micro-games that didn’t work so well were the ones that require you push and pull the Wii Remote towards the screen. The game has trouble detecting it and I have to do the required motion 3-4 times before it works. Now this very well could be my setup, because I have my TV further than 10 feet away from where I play and the sensor bar has trouble from that distance. Either way, I suggest you REALLY make sure your sensor bar is set up properly for this game.

Make sure your sensor bar is set up right or she dies

A nitpick of mine is that two of the games require you to be wearing the Wii Remote wrist strap and you’re supposed drop the remote and let it dangle. But then some of the other positions you hold it are almost impossible with the short length of the strap.

What I love about this game is that it encourages you to get up off your couch and get your whole body into the experience. Yes, if you want you can sit on the couch like a toolbox and cheat half the games, but like Wii Sports you won’t have much fun that way. WW:SM has you doing everything from Hula-hoops to sword fighting and you will look like a total goof doing all these crazy things in front of your TV. So note, if you’re a “I take myself very seriously” hardcorez gamer, this isn’t the game for you.

At the end of every stage there is a boss level. These boss levels are just like the micro-games but last a few minutes instead of seconds. Some of them are the best parts of the game and really creative. My favorite event in the whole game is the boss level where you need to dance in cue with other on screen dancers, and the Wii Remote detects if you’re doing it right.

Along with the main goal of beating endless waves of micro-games, there are also some mini-games included. I know with all this micro-game talk that might seem ridiculous, but think of the word mini-game as you would for any other normal game. There are some really good and addicting ones here. I particularly like the Darts mini-game, because after playing the Darts mini game in Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz the one found here is like a Godsend.

One of the coolest stages is the retro Nintendo stage. All the mini-games found in this stage are themed from various Nintendo games dating back to when Nintendo was a playing card company to the Gamecube. Being a big Nintendo fan I found it really cool to see certain games pop up. Even smaller titles like Animal Crossing and Pikmin make an appearance. The boss level for this stage is a pseudo Starfox level ripped straight from the original SNES Starfox. I like this boss level so much, I wish Nintendo would refine the experience and make a new Wii Starfox that controls this way.

Best Starfox in years!

This games style makes me say “what the heck??” a lot. I think whoever put together all the micro-games was on drugs because most of them make absolutely no sense. For example one micro-game has you slowly drink a glass of water without spilling it on your face. When you complete it the guy suddenly grows an afro and an excessive amount of nose hair. Another game has you do a few reps of barbell lifting, and when you beat it a bunch of Lion photographs decorated with royal crowns jump on the screen.

Seriously, whats going on?

The multiplayer modes in WarioWare Smooth Moves offer one of the most fun multiplayer experiences on the Wii. The best part is for most of them you only need one remote that is passed around, allowing up to 12 players at once. My favorite is the elimination mode where the remote is passed in a random order to all the players involved and each time it’s your turn you much do a micro-game. Fail and you get knocked out for the round until one is standing.

Lasting Appeal
Game can be beaten in about 2-3 hours which is pretty short compared to most games today. It is a title that is meant to be replayed but despite that I haven’t had much desire to replay the levels by myself.

As a multiplayer game this has some long legs. I have taken this to multiple parties and it’s always a favorite. Especially since each round goes so fast and up to 12 players can play (so nobody feels left out).

Final Thoughts
Despite the short 2-3 hours that this game initially lasted, I personally thought it worth the purchase. The experience was so fun and unique that the amount of enjoyment made up for the short time. In my opinion the full price of $50 (and its Nintendo published so that won’t be going down anytime soon) is asking too much for JUST the single player. So if you don’t have any friends and don’t play games multiplayer, I suggest renting.

If you haven’t played a WarioWare game before, this is a great one to start with. I can’t comment on how it compares to the rest of the series because this is the only entry I’ve played. If you are looking for a fun multiplayer game then make this part of your collection.

Gameplay Video

[YOUTUBEHQ]bpZL0CeXt68[/YOUTUBEHQ]

Last edited by Seraph; 08-04-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote