Publisher - Nintendo

My Bias
-I love the Metroid series
-I liked Metroid Prime
-I hate console First Person Shooters

My Completion
Beaten with 79% completion

Story
Hot off the trail of where the first Metroid Prime ended, Samus now finds herself going to the new planet Aether. I was never able to figure out why you were on this planet in the first place, my guess it to chase Dark Samus who escaped from you in the first game (and for the sake of the spoiler phobic, if you don’t have some understanding who dark Samus is you shouldnt be playing this sequel, so I’m not going to spoiler tag her). You land on this planet and find yourself stuck and without all your powers……… again. The only way to leave is to help the people of this planet beat the evil darkness and save the day.

These are the things your forced to help

This entire game feels like a side story more than anything else. As a whole it really has nothing to do with the Metroid saga or the Prime trilogy for that matter. After completing the whole game I think you can skip it and still enjoy Metroid Prime 3.

Much of the games story is still told through reading scans

The ending of this game is much better than the firsts. While still on the short side it leaves you feeling pretty satisfied for all your hard work.

Graphics
There are some pretty amazing effects in this game. The game is full of even sharper textures and more detail than the first Metroid Prime making this is easily one of Gamecube’s sharpest looking games. The animation is a lot better than the first game as well, Samus actually walks and moves like a real person now. The character models and designs are much improved, this game also has Samus’ coolest looking suit in the entire series.

Some parts of the game look amazing

The environments in this game are very bland. Since half the game takes place in the dark world, your spent cruising half the game in bland purple environments that all look the same. Purple room after purple room, it begins to all look the same. It’s a shame because the non-dark worlds look great.

Purple Purple Purple Purple Purple Purple Purple

Music
The music in this game suffers the exact same problem as the first. All the new tracks written for this game are generic and pretty boring, and the only good tracks are the remixed Super Metroid themes. I absolutely love the remix of Maridia’s theme in this game, as it is one of my all time favorite Metroid themes.

One of the new tracks is annoying as heck. It has a loud overbearing metal clang throughout the entire track, as if somebody was hitting two steel pipes together right next to your ear. It consequently made that area of the game very un-enjoyable.

Gameplay
The controls to this game are identical to that of its predecessor. That means they are horrible. So I don’t repeat myself over the same control method, this is an excerpt from my Metroid Prime review.
Quote:
The controls feel sluggish and in my opinion are horrible. It took me a couple hours just to get to the point where I wasn’t fumbling every time I needed to think fast. Instead of a free look dual analog setup like most console first person shooters, aiming and movement are both bound to the left analog stick. This proves to be very frustrating as you literally can’t perform tasks that have become standard fare in the FPS genre. I eventually got to the point where I could maneuver the way I wanted to, but it took almost half the game and it still feels extremely limiting.
The difference with this game was by the time I started it I was already used to the controls. Still didn’t change them from feeling extremely limiting.

Many of the problems that plagued the first game are still around. The map is still confusing (even more so) and still does the annoying snap thing, the doors still take a while to open after you shoot them. It’s a shame none of this was fixed up.

If the first game was considered difficult, this game is a complete nightmare. Some of the bosses in this game I had to redo 6-7 times before I finally conquered them. They just launch attacks at you that are nearly impossible to avoid and take off way too much health. It also doesn’t help that this games energy tank upgrades are very well hidden resulting in a much lower health bar for most of the game. I don’t mind harder difficulty, but make it an option to play balls to the wall hard or not.

This games upgrade system isn’t nearly as fun as the first primes and makes for an uninteresting game. Some genius over at Retro Studios decided to implement an ammo system for all of Samus’ beams. Yes that’s right ammo. Gone are the days of getting a new beam and then enjoying the hell out of blasting everything in sight with it. You now have to worry about using your beams as to not use up all your ammo, and because of this you’re stuck using the lame old power beam for most of the game. The two new visors you get are all but useless, only used in rare instances.

The famed Screw Attack makes its return. Not nearly as cool as the 2D ones.

The level design has taken a turn for the worse. There are still some great rooms and good platforming puzzles (especially some awesome Morphball puzzles) but as a whole now everything it too complex and too clustered. I found myself many times looking at the map to find where I wanted to go, walking in that direction only to check the map again and find I had accidentally taken a wrong turn somewhere and was completely off track.

I've gotten so disorientated in this room countless times

At the very end of the game before you can fight the last boss you must go on a fetch quest looking for 9 different keys. This part of the game made me stop playing for weeks. Unlike the first Metroid Primes end game fetch quest, this game doesn’t tell you where they keys are. On top of that, the keys are invisible and you need to use a special visor to see them that turns everything grey and makes it near impossible to navigate around. Basically unless you enjoy the idea of spending hours upon hours scanning every single room in the game, you will never beat it. I had to resort to using Gamefaqs, and even when I did it was hard to find the invisible keys in the rooms they were supposed to be in. In my opinion this stupid search quest ruins the end of the game.

And just like the first game, unless you beat this one with 100% items you don’t get to see the true ending that links it to Metroid Prime 3. Note to game developers, make the reward for fully completing a game non-story related, that way those of us who aren’t psycho completionists can see the whole story too.

Multiplayer
This game has a multiplayer death match mode. My time playing it is very brief and as a whole I did not find it enjoyable. I played it for a total of 20 minutes before I called it quits.

Lasting Appeal
My final time clocked in at 15 hours. This game has almost no replay value as the combat was not fun enough to keep you coming back. If you’re a completionist, then it will add many more hours to this game.

Final Thoughts
This is the worst game in the Metroid Prime trilogy. It doesn’t fix any of the problems of the first game, and adds a ton of new ones. While the first game was fun despite all its flaws, and this one does have its moments, it felt like a chore the most of the way through. If you can’t tell from my review, almost every aspect of this game is worse than the first one. It doesn’t come close to matching the greatness of Metroid Prime.

If you’re a fan of Metroid Prime, my advice is to rent or pay budget price for this game. If you want to skip it and jump straight into the much improved Metroid Prime 3, it is completely viable as this game doesn’t even have an impact on the trilogy.

Gameplay Video
Video is high quality, if its choppy pause it and let it load

Last edited by Seraph; 08-04-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote