PDA

View Full Version : Why the "no HDD" for the PStwo is garbage.

Reivenlocke
10-09-2004, 03:09 AM
Look no further than the iPod with a 4~40GB HDD that is no bigger than a 50 cent piece. I would take a $200 slimmed down PS2 with a small 10GB HDD than a PS2 with no HDD that should be selling at $100 for $150.

TheHardware
10-09-2004, 04:33 AM
ya but ...too expensive.....and the ps2 is 149

garrffy
10-09-2004, 04:39 AM
Whatz the use of the HDD besides playing FFXI?

bemanisuperstar
10-09-2004, 11:39 AM
You can with the right software Cache games on the HDD

Zod
10-09-2004, 11:45 AM
It's pretty much useless. You can use it for Biohazard outbreak and for a couple of coming SOCOM maps, but that's it.

It was a waste of everyone's time. SCEA is still removing HDD support from games even though the HDD is out, like they did with Star Ocean 3, so they either want it to fail or are absolutely careless and thoughtless of their customers who had once hoped for the HDD being something useful. They made us wait three years behind Japan to get it, then they made us wait months more for it to be useful for more than just FF-XI. They are still refusing to say what happened to the missing features like the BB browser and media player that they promised woud launch with the HDD, and they have even gone as far as delete all press releases from playstation.com to cover their tracks regarding those promises.

The latest rumor is that SCEA does indeed plan to abandon the HDD for a more profitable large-capacity flash-memory device, and that rumor is strengthened by SCEA saying themselves at E3 that they're looking for alternatives (which was a spit in the face when considering they said that just three months after releasing the HDD). Rumor patrol also has it that they refused to release the Japanese BB here ebcause they want their own pay-service browser that they plan to release soon, so they can charge for everything in what they call a "mini-transaction" system. If this is true, then not only did they made us wait and wait, then they removed HDD support, then they ultimately crap on HDD customers by charging us for everything that was supposed to come with the HDD.

bemanisuperstar
10-09-2004, 01:16 PM
more and more I'm thinking I should boycott anything SCEA

Escaflowne2001
10-09-2004, 03:03 PM
I'll be getting one I think to test out the flop-top and importing I'll give my old one to my sister.

[M]egaman Ver.6
10-09-2004, 03:14 PM
If you haven't got an HDD now you probaly not gonna buy one anytime soon. Basicly it was a failed peripheral selling around 300,000 units. Sony won't support something that got such little sales basicly a waste of money. But if it sold like Eye Toy did then we'd see a more push to sell more and more support. Developers don't seem to want to take advantage of it like EA who easily could have spurred more sales.

Anyway Sony says their looking for a cheaper type of memory storage they could use... probaly BS but whatever.

:spinface:

Reko8
10-10-2004, 12:16 AM
I use my HDD for memory storage and FFXI. Don't need to buy those $30 memory cards no longer. PS1 and PS2 memory both on my HDD.COOL :spinface:

Messanic
10-10-2004, 01:15 AM
There is an external usb HD for the ps2, its also a 40GB as opposed to the 30GB one that comes with FFXI.

Zod
10-11-2004, 07:23 AM
The one that comes with FF-XI is also 40Gb

Reivenlocke
10-11-2004, 08:24 AM
40GBs that you will never, EVER use unless you are pirating games. FFXI takes 5GB, so putting in a 10GB microdrive would at least keep the pirating down and allow someone to put a second MMO on it.

ya but ...too expensive.....and the ps2 is 149

But considering Sony is probably making $20-30 off the sale of every PS2 now, this one will cost less due to the fact that the technology is cheaper and easier to make now...hence the micronization, and there are less moving parts. Also, in the history of micronizing game systems from the NES to the SegaCD to the PSOne, there has always been a drop in price. The PStwo will be the first micronized gaming platform to maintain its price point even though it costs less to make. By all rights, this system should be in the $110-$120 range.

Entertainer
10-11-2004, 11:32 AM
go sony, way to screw the consumer again!

BashingU
10-11-2004, 12:42 PM
I've stated this would happen well before the HDD came out. It was just to appease stock holders. That's why it was delayed so long, Sony knew that there was no way people were going to buy the game in droves. What's worse is the fact that it only supports a handfull of games which is not worth anything. Now they want to follow M$, by talking about alternative storage capacities...Which is inconsistent with the way that Sony works...Another example of crappy policy and service from Sony....Like I told a friend of mine, at the end of the day getting a PS2 with an HDD will cost you more than buying an Xbox. And the technology sucks. I don't want to hear another bash at the Xbox HD because honestly it was something that really works for the consumer....

Reivenlocke
10-11-2004, 01:08 PM
In conjunction with the downloadable content in Xbox Live enabled games, the HDD is very relevant. The PS2's HDD still could very well be relevant if S-E is going forward with the other MMOs they have in development and if they change their whole thinking on the use of the HDD. Sony themselves have not led by example on opening up the many applications of the HDD and therein lies the problem. For example, making deals with companies such as Namco to allow downloadable content of retro classics or the ability to download shows or anime a game is based on in order to get someone to think hard about getting a game adaptation of it (after all, in Japan, anime exists for the goods it sells and not vice versa). There is still potential for the drive, but Sony put it out there as they do for nearly every peripheral as a gimmick they think the gullible public will blindly buy and not end up supporting (gamertap, pocketstation, etc.). Sony dropped the ball.

Zod
10-12-2004, 07:39 AM
I've stated this would happen well before the HDD came out. It was just to appease stock holders. That's why it was delayed so long, Sony knew that there was no way people were going to buy the game in droves. What's worse is the fact that it only supports a handfull of games which is not worth anything. Now they want to follow M$, by talking about alternative storage capacities...Which is inconsistent with the way that Sony works...Another example of crappy policy and service from Sony....Like I told a friend of mine, at the end of the day getting a PS2 with an HDD will cost you more than buying an Xbox. And the technology sucks. I don't want to hear another bash at the Xbox HD because honestly it was something that really works for the consumer....

But the thing is that more games do support it, but SCEA keeps removing HDD support. It's not like no one has tried to support it when they have. SCEA is the roadblock, which is why at times they act like they want it to fail.

They delayed it for so long because:
1. Gamers in general are consumer sheep. They somehow believe that waiting makes the game better, even when it's not changed at all. Any and all delays are immediately excused and even defended. No threats to SCEA's profits = no reason to get it out sooner when they'll still make money.

2. They were never serious about it to begin with, which is shown by them removing HDD support from games.

3. Memory card profits. Why jeopardize them with the HDD?

4. The law of diminishing costs. In 2001 when Japan got it, 40 Gb HDD's were high-end and very expensive. In 2004, they're old technology and are practically worthless on the PC market. This fattens their profits considerably, even if they don't sell a lot.