PDA

View Full Version : Steel Battalion Bundle [$250] Debate: Will you buy it?

Overlord
08-18-2002, 11:20 AM
So, will you buy the upcoming Capcom game, Steel Battalion, for Xbox? I'm pretty sure everyone here has heard of the game. It's the new Mech Simulator for Xbox. And it comes with a Controller just for the game. And not to mention a a huge price tag.

Heres a pic of the Controller: -Controller. (http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/tekki11.jpg)

One pro for buying the controller when it first comes out. Is that it's value might go higher after a while. So you may find yourself seeling it for more than you bought on ebay after a few years. But theres a chance that that might not happen. It's been lately reported from sites that the price will be $250(game + controller), it was reported $150 a while ago.

Your Thoughts?

WINDJAMMERS
08-18-2002, 02:09 PM
It cost more than the system...

If they want anyone to buy it they better lower the pric3 or package the controller seperate.

aneep
08-18-2002, 02:46 PM
doubt the game will retail at that price

the pre order was probably abit on the high side so the retailer will not have to honor the pre order price if they set it too low (say they set it to USD150, and Capcom release the game at USD160, so they have to honor that price, = loss of money for them)

so i think the high price is just the online retailers trying to be on the safe side

the game will retail at approximately USD160 in japan, if i remember correctly

-aneep-

WINDJAMMERS
08-18-2002, 06:03 PM
That still makes that controller 100 bucks. Some people won't buy it if they think they are only going to use it once.

Steel Battlion belongs in the arcades.

Havoc2049
08-18-2002, 11:33 PM
I might buy the combo just for the hell of it, just to say that I have it. Have you guys seen the big ammo can that the controller and game are going to be released in? I still can't believe Capcom is going through with the whole thing. I do think it will become a big time collectors item and you will see it going for like $400+ on ebay in a few years. I definitely won't pre order the game. Steel Battalion will have to get some great scores to warrant a purchase.

Rubeus
08-19-2002, 02:09 AM
The answer is NO, I don't even like the game, I'd rather choose Mech Assault instead.

Vicviper
08-19-2002, 12:35 PM
I'm keeping my eye on this game. Looks interesting enough. and the controller? Doesn't it have like 40 buttons on it? That is an awful lot of buttons. Who knows we will see. It depends on how tight the money flow is when it's all released.

PS Overlord. I like the new avatar!

Kid0_oIcarus
08-19-2002, 01:44 PM
They're on crack if they think I'm paying for that

Seska
08-19-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by aneep
doubt the game will retail at that price

the pre order was probably abit on the high side so the retailer will not have to honor the pre order price if they set it too low (say they set it to USD150, and Capcom release the game at USD160, so they have to honor that price, = loss of money for them)

so i think the high price is just the online retailers trying to be on the safe side

the game will retail at approximately USD160 in japan, if i remember correctly

-aneep-

ITs been oficially confirmed at $250 by now. Seems excessive to me, but maybe its a game for fans only. :p

Overlord
08-19-2002, 08:21 PM
Vicviper:
Doesn't it have like 40 buttons on it? That is an awful lot of buttons. Who knows we will see. It depends on how tight the money flow is when it's all released.

PS Overlord. I like the new avatar!

I think it has it a little more then that. Plus some other gizmos.

And Thanks!

This game is getting some good previews, espicially from GameSpot.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,6023280,00.html

The Hands-On from GameSpot. Some nice info, you guy's should check it out.

DBJAY
08-19-2002, 09:00 PM
EBGames list the game and controller costing a total of 250 bucks. So the controller is 200, and game is 50. There is a precedent for this kind of expense, albeit set by the PS2.

That is of course, Final Fantasy XI. The hard drive, network adapter, and game all total together to be around 250 for one game. The difference being that the network adpater + hard drive could be used for other games.

What will help the Tekki controller fly is if other games support it, especially on PC.

Some of the other great one shot controller is the maracas by Sega for Samba Di Amigo, for 90 bucks plus the cost of the game, so about 130.

Or, Saturn Netlink, which supported only a handful of games, retailed for 200.

Or Socom, which ships with headset (60) and cost of network adapter (40), for a hundred buck game.

Or Perfect Dark for N64, which required "ram pack" to access entire game, so it was a hundred buck game, plus rumble pack (if you didn't buy Starfox), now a 130+ game to experience everything.

Tekki/Steel Battalion easily is one of the most expensive games for retail ever produced, outside of the SNK era.

Definately a game for the true hardcore mech fans.

WINDJAMMERS
08-19-2002, 09:30 PM
What do you mean by SNK era...

Metal Slug 3,4 , Rage of the Dragons and King of the Fighter 2001 all still go for about $300 a peice. Sengoku 3 is about $200.

I'm looking into buying a MVS cabinet, so everyone keep a eye out.

aneep
08-20-2002, 12:51 AM
xbox.com posting the price as 250 doesn't make it official IMO, since they also posted that the game is 1-4 players (which we know is not true)

250 is high, i agree, and when Capcom said that they hope they can sell it for around 160 in japan, the price disparity between that price and 250 is just too big to be true IMO

anyway, until capcom themselves said its 250, i don't think the price on any of these sites is official

-aneep-

Penance
08-21-2002, 03:55 AM
The price is pretty steep for me, and many other gamers. Like said before, this will mostly get the Hardcore Mech fans. And this game is supposed to be more realistic then usual Mech games. Like the Mechs will be Big and slow. Unlike todays Fast and agile ones.

aneep
08-21-2002, 03:18 PM
with that price (150-250), i don't think Capcom is hoping to sell this game more than 500k copies

hell, i'd think they'd profit with significantly less copies than that (AKA a niche title)

-aneep-

DBJAY
08-21-2002, 07:30 PM
Hmm, good point. If Capcom sells a game that is 5 times more expensive than a typical game, they can sell 5 times less copies to earn the same amount of money for a million seller title.

For example:

Avg. game (50) x 1 million copies sold worldwide = 50 million gross.

Tekki (250) x 200,000 copies sold worldwide = 50 million gross!

So they would need to have only 200,000 out of the projected Xbox customer based (end 03 since Tekki gets a slow wordwide rollout) of 10 million plus, or about 2%.

Not bad.

Overlord
08-28-2002, 09:07 PM
Famitsu just gave the game 37/40! I think gamefront.de has the article up. Hold on, I'll see if I can find more sources.

DBJAY
08-29-2002, 12:16 PM
That's true, I read the score over at different site.

gabriel
08-29-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by DBJAY
Hmm, good point. If Capcom sells a game that is 5 times more expensive than a typical game, they can sell 5 times less copies to earn the same amount of money for a million seller title.

For example:

So they would need to have only 200,000 out of the projected Xbox customer based (end 03 since Tekki gets a slow wordwide rollout) of 10 million plus, or about 2%.

Not bad.

True, but revenue doesnt equal profit. They can sell 5 times less copies, but that doesnt mean they'll make the same amount in the end, since they're probably losing money on the controller.

DBJAY
08-29-2002, 08:35 PM
Well, no one will ever know the cost of the controller to the retailers. But it is common for there to be a mark up on almost on retail products, so it would not surprise me if Capcom priced it in such a way to make some dough. Also, the gross will be the same, but the net would be different.

Overlord
09-05-2002, 09:42 PM
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/637814/ref%3Dvg%5Fsn%5Fbs/250-1625926-4231448

Final pricing for the Japanese version is 16800 yen which is about 150 US Dollars.

The game releases September 12th in Japan. We won't know the FULL sales numbers till the 19th most likely.

Also, TEKKI, a $150 Pre-Order Bundle, is beating both Star Fox Adventures [Only $50.00] on the GCN, and Phantasy Star Online in pre-orders.

Overlord
09-06-2002, 12:45 AM
Translated Famitsu Review:

Review of ?Tekki (Steel Batallion)?: (?tekki? translated literally means ?iron horseback?)

Grade: 9
?Once you actually try this game, you?ll realize it?s obvious why such a controller is essential. What this dependence on a controller of this type does, however, is give birth to ?a new kind of game? in ?Tekki?. Between the way you die if you fail to press the eject button on time, or the ability to wash your monitors so that your visibility becomes clearer, the way you feel like you?re actually piloting a robot when you play this game is fantastic. There are a lot of buttons; fortunately, it?s easy to get used to them.?

Grade: 8
?The controls of this game initially are to be sure unaccomodating and frustrating. However, after physically memorizing the principal commands of the special controller and going through retry after retry, by the time one has gotten relatively used to the missions in the game, you?ll find that the initial frustration has turned to a feeling of enjoyment and an actual sense that you are inside your robot. Navitgating through the nuances of the individual stages, which reward strategic thinking but punish button mashing, is an exciting experience in itself. Learning to pilot the various VTs (*robots), each of which offer varying levels of control complexity, is also rewarding.?

?The detail inherent in the robot functions and game environment is astounding. So, with a game made to be this detailed, it is natural that the difficulty level is also made to be hard, which means that it will be a challenge for players to get a handle of the game initially. Still, once one does get used to the game, they?ll find themselves completely immersed in it. It truly feels like you?re experiencing what it?s like to control a robot. Lastly, the sense of size and weight provided by the controller is also a plus.?

?Although initial impressions formed around this game were almost exclusively based around the novel controller, the construct of the game itself is what really serves to put the recent string of not-too-impressive titles to shame. The command system is really not that difficult, and even by just knowing the minimal number of buttons necessary to play, the game is still completely enjoyable. Of course, once one masters the use of all the buttons, the sense of enjoyment and superiority one feels is that much elevated. As the number of available robot frames (?robot body?) increases, the gameplay in Tekki completely changes as well? this is also a plus.?

Black Ace
09-10-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by DBJAY

For example:

Not bad.

It doesn't work like that. $50 is what the store is selling. Companies sell them to retailer for around $40 a piece, the store has to make a profit. $40 goes to the maker, lets subtract the cost of production, says $5 per unit, now that knocked it down to $35, and that game sells 1 million copies, which comes out to $35 million gross, now factor in the marketing and develoment cost, tax, royalty to the console maker for every game sells, that can easily bring it down even further.

crazytaxinext
09-11-2002, 10:32 AM
It may be good but there's no way I'd even consider spending that much on this game.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-11-2002, 11:00 AM
That's the price of another console! I seriously doubt they'll sell much of this...

Just enough to cover their losses, I bet.

crazytaxinext
09-11-2002, 11:03 AM
I remember Samba De Amigo not selling much because of its price and that was cheaper than this.

THX 1138
09-11-2002, 12:32 PM
This game and controller sounds like a good reason to finally make the descision to purchase an XboX, which I may if this game turns out to be really cool and if they put it on-line. It will be on-line, won't it?????

THX 1138
09-11-2002, 12:41 PM
Online Steel Battalion Sequel In the Works

With as much research and development as must have gone into Capcom's gigantic Steel Battalion controller, a sequel using the peripheral again was inevitable. But those looking forward to the game's U.S. release this fall will be interested to know that the plan is for the second game to be online.

At a press conference this weekend, the producer of Steel Battalion (known as Tekki in Japan) announced that the online sequel was in development. While no details have yet been revealed, the mere prospect of simple deathmatches using the Steel Battalion controller is enough to make anyone who got to play the game at E3 light-headed.

The first Steel Battalion is due for a fall release in the U.S. While the Japanese pricing for the game with controller is 19800 yen, or about $160, no MSRP has been revealed for the American game yet. Thanks to GameSpot for the news.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-11-2002, 04:24 PM
Hmm.. so it would be worth it to wait till next year then.. for the better offering..

Overlord
09-11-2002, 08:45 PM
Kid0_oIcarus:
Hmm.. so it would be worth it to wait till next year then.. for the better offering..

The first one will be a great game. And the controller works for both games. So why not buy both? The second one will probably just be an expanson anyway.

...And who knows, maybe other devs will think about making some of their games compatible with the controller at some point. This game already has a great start on th pre-orders.

aneep
09-14-2002, 07:03 PM
the 1st one will be great for training (deep learnng curve remember?)

u probably don't want to waste buying another bundle (online version + controller ) just to get wasted repeatedly online by vets of the 1st game

-aneep-

THX 1138
09-19-2002, 11:45 AM
I better pre-order my sh!t right now! I don't want to get ass-wiped when I take Steel Batalion online.