PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 Updates

Renegade X
08-26-2004, 11:14 PM
If The Sims 2 going gold wasn't enough to tickle your fancy, and niether was Fable, then it might interest you to know that as of 6pm PST, Half Life 2 offically started Pre-Loading for those customers who either will buy the game via steam or have a ATI voucher that came either with their computer or a ATI Video card.

What does this mean? This means that the music, sounds, textures, models, possiblely even the maps for Half Life 2.... ARE DONE, no changes will be made to these things. What does this mean... pretty much that Half Life 2 itself is close to going gold itself and we could see it as soon as in September.

Nindalf
08-27-2004, 08:21 AM
I always thought this forum would die without Alu-Baby and the Rodent Prince Seska. Guess I was wrong.

Can some one say what are the system req. for this gamemememe?

laicher21
08-27-2004, 12:22 PM
I think they are suprisingly low. Unlike some games *cough* Doom3 *cough* this actually caters to all computer gamers, not jsut the ultra rich ones.

BlindMaphisto
08-27-2004, 01:52 PM
I wonder if they xbox version will ship with counter strike source built in or as a seperate game. Anybody know or think they know?

Renegade X
08-27-2004, 06:06 PM
I wonder if they xbox version will ship with counter strike source built in or as a seperate game. Anybody know or think they know?

Don't know... I'm thinking... separate. Because there is going to be a Single Player Only Version of HL2 along with the Full Version and the Collector's Edition.

discomfort wings
08-28-2004, 01:49 AM
Actually, reports are saying they are high resolution textures and sound files, neither the maps or executing files are in the preloading download. Users possibily have to download the rest when the release becomes available.

If only i could remember the source url.....

Renegade X
08-28-2004, 04:28 AM
Actually, reports are saying they are high resolution textures and sound files, neither the maps or executing files are in the preloading download. Users possibily have to download the rest when the release becomes available.

If only i could remember the source url.....

Well, it doesn't matter what files are and aren't in the preload, because...

HALF-LIFE 2 GOES GOLD MONDAY!!!

Source: Half-Life 2 Fallout (http://www.hl2fallout.com/)

Mistatee
08-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Hopefully this game will rock online and off (though i have little doubts that it will)

As for Doom3, i played the game on High settings no problem with a $800 computer.

Dont complain about the requirements. the graphic settings are based off your GPU. a 256 MB GPU is all you need for high settings (that and around 2 ghz Processor and atleast 512 MB Ram)

Hmm graphics card: Somewhere between $90-$140
Processor (AMD) $78
Ram Somewhere between $80-$100

Since you got an AMD processor, take a N-Force 2 MoBo ($80 for Soltek = Best) and a 80 gig hardrive would be around $70.

CD Drive look at aout $20-$50

Case is your choice averages around $40

You already have a keyboard, mous, and operating system if you post on MagicBox

So thats all you need for second highest Doom 3 settings. And it costs less then a dell... Hmmm those requirements dont seem to have problems in my mind

(Also if you know how to Overclock your Processor, then you can possibly make your comp play Ultra if you get a better GPU (say an extra $100))

Makaveli_786
08-31-2004, 10:11 AM
Dont forget Doom 3 wasnt designed for this gen graphics cards so your waiting a while to get the most out of it, theres no way your getting the full monty out of a mid-range current gen computer, you need to see the X-box shots... OUCH, youd have to be insane to buy it, its the worst port ever.

Nykad
08-31-2004, 01:53 PM
Well, it doesn't matter what files are and aren't in the preload, because...

HALF-LIFE 2 GOES GOLD MONDAY!!!

Source: Half-Life 2 Fallout (http://www.hl2fallout.com/)

It's not going gold monday. It was a hoax.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/27/news_6106035.html

Renegade X
08-31-2004, 02:35 PM
It's not going gold monday. It was a hoax.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/27/news_6106035.html

We've got that covered already...

laicher21
09-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Is there any good news out of the Valve camp lately, I think they have pretty much shut themselves off to the world recently, but Im waiting for something big.

bemanisuperstar
09-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Half Life 2 goes Gold Monday............April 26,2027

Renegade X
09-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Half Life 2 goes Gold Monday............April 26,2027

Sorry Bemani, but looks like GoTY for 2004 is a sealed, deal. As of August 15th, as Valve, and as planned mind you, Released Half-Life 2, Half-Life: Source, and Counter-Strike: Source to Vivendi Universal for approval to go into duplication.

And yes, this time, it's 100% true, straight from Gabe Newell's HalfLife2Fallout post, confermed by Doug and Gabe via phone, emails, and possiblely even smoke signals.

SavedFromSin
09-18-2004, 04:37 PM
So..does anybody know if this will see a console release?

Renegade X
09-18-2004, 05:54 PM
So..does anybody know if this will see a console release?

Not this generation would be my guess, I think Valve scrapped the plans for getting it out on XBOX and are doing their best (or worst) to get it out for the PC.

Renegade X
09-29-2004, 07:03 AM
Ok, given the fact that Valve and VU Games are now offically going into a court battle, and it seems that Half Life 2 may be caught in the legal war between the two companies, for those of you who are dieing to get your hands on HL2 or even Counter Strike: Souce, theres GREAT news for you all... take a look at the Retail and Steam bundles for HL2, and take notice of a couple of suprises!

(As posted by Gabe Newell on the Half Life Fallout Boards, and confermed by the Steam Forums):

Half-Life 2 Offers Revealed!

The Half-Life 2 offers have been finalized.

The Half-Life 2 offers have been finalized. Details are pasted below. The Steam offers will be available for purchase next week. Those who purchase via Steam, will receive the final version of Counter-Strike: Source immediately. Half-Life 2 and other games in the Steam offerings will be made available to purchasers upon their release.

RETAIL BOXES:

* Standard Edition
? includes HL2 and CS:Source. Ships on six CDs, in one of three box-art packages (Gordon, Alyx or the G-Man),

* Collector's Edition
? includes Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source, a Half-Life 2 T-shirtand a Prima book sampler. Ships on a single DVD.

STEAM PACKAGES:

* Bronze

? HL2*
? CS:Source

* Silver

? HL2*
? Counter-Strike: Source
? Half-Life 1: Source*
? Day of Defeat: Source*
? Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam

* Gold

? HL2*
? Counter-Strike: Source
? Half-Life 1: Source*
? Day of Defeat: Source*
? Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam
? Complete Strategy Guide from Prima Games
? 3 different Half-Life 2 posters
? Half-Life 2 hat
? Half-Life 2 postcard
? Half-Life 2 stickers
? Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD
? Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

*To be made available upon product's release.

Also revealed, the full version of CS:Source will be available to Steam purchasers next week!

So Counter Strike: Souce will be playable in it's Full Version glory with in a week, Day of Defeat: Source is offical for you WWII junkies, and it looks like the Steam Gold offer is THE offer to get for the Half Life fan. Great news to this HL fan, and I'm sure a lot of members here are glad to see that offer packages are finalize, only bodes well for the final "Gone Gold" announcement.

discomfort wings
09-29-2004, 04:59 PM
nice, thanks for the info

if the game lives up to the hype, im going for the collector's edition

Renegade X
09-29-2004, 10:29 PM
nice, thanks for the info

if the game lives up to the hype, im going for the collector's edition

Well apparently, EBGames, PCGamer, and a few choice people have gotten to play the release canidate (sorry, we all know I suck at spelling, get over it) and so far, it's Living up to it and then some.

nazgulking929
10-02-2004, 10:13 PM
Cool thanks for sharing.

discomfort wings
10-04-2004, 01:33 AM
I found and mirrored a copy of PC Gamer's review of Half Life 2.

http://www.aphrodisiac.cc/temp/PCGHL2Review.pdf

Enjoy, its coming soon.

Renegade X
10-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Finally, as promised last week, tomorrow, Thursday, October 7th the Steam Packages will go on sale and Counter Strike: Source beta will end and go into it's final version. Yes, starting tomorrow you can (if you so choose) can purchase both Half Life 2(To be release later on) and Counter Strike Source, CS:S will be playable from the get go, giving all the HL2 fans something to tie them over until the retail release of Half Life 2.

Steam Packages will be up for purchase at 11am Pacific (12am Mountain, 1am Central, 2pm Eastern).

There are 3 flavors of Steam packages (see one of my above posts) and prices(all in US currency):

Bronze: $49.95
Silver: $59.95
Gold: $89.95

For those of you with a ATI voucher, you can get the Bronze level package for free, or redeem the voucher for it's price and upgrade to the Silver or Gold Packages.

(Meaning, Bronze will be free of charge, you will pay 10.00 for Silver, and 40.00 for Gold.)

Of course the biggest and most exciting part of this all is that this could only mean that Half Life 2 has been (but not offically announced) as being approved for dulication and could soon be hitting store shelves. But as with HL2 story, it's bittersweet with the Valve/Vivendi court dispute could keep the game in status for a good while.

Renegade X
11-06-2004, 10:42 PM
Ok... seems like Vivendi Universal is dead set on making sure that this game isn't released a second before before 12am Seattle time (when it will offically be allowed to go retail AND be released to Steam buyers). But, seeing as how I know there are a lot of nonAmerican posters here at the forums... you'll all be happy to know that Half Life 2 will hit world wide on the same day (not sure if this was meantioned or not), so heres to the end of a long wait.

Now, for those of you in the Mod Community who are interested in getting their hands on the Source SDK, well... it's out now!!! As far as I know, the only place you can get it at the moment it via Steam. So those of you who have a team that interested, get to work already!!!

This has been a Ren X Half Life 2 News Report, I'm Ren X and a bid you "Good Day, Sir!!!"

discomfort wings
11-16-2004, 04:12 AM
12:00 PST, its out! Unlocking over steam!

<?php
$hl2 = goodbye world!;

echo $hl2;

?>

ovejon
11-16-2004, 12:54 PM
I while ago I was ranting about the obligatory activiation of the game through steam. A couple of days ago some people were able to get their games early but they couldn't play it becuase of this and today some people in europe cant play the game becuase the servers are down!

THE WORLD has come crashing down around Half-Life 2 players today, as Steam's authentication servers in Europe have died.
Players who have rushed out to buy the game today and have tried to activate this afternoon have been greeted with the message, below, that they cannot complete the authentication process and so can't play the game. Many of the gamers that we spoke to were outraged. One told us that he "... Waited ****ing years for this game to come out and now can't play it? I've got the damn discs in my hands! It's outrageous! I want it now!" Similarly strong-worded conversations were had with other gamers.

A technical support engineer at Vivendi said that it could be three hours or longer before the servers are fixed and games can be played.

Early birds up this morning activated the game at 8am with no problem. If this subsequent monumental crash is anything to go by, however, we can only expect all hell to break lose when the USA comes online in force.

Retail players are being made to activate their copies of Half-Life 2 online with Valve's servers to prevent piracy and leakage. You can see the message of doom below. ?

source: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19710

Well anyways, I'm going to get my copy of the game now. Too bad I have to wait till 6:00 to play the game.

Renegade X
11-16-2004, 01:41 PM
I while ago I was ranting about the obligatory activiation of the game through steam. A couple of days ago some people were able to get their games early but they couldn't play it becuase of this and today some people in europe cant play the game becuase the servers are down!

source: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19710

Well anyways, I'm going to get my copy of the game now. Too bad I have to wait till 6:00 to play the game.

I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh... I was up at 3:20am last night and I was having joygasms galore playing threw the game... and this should be expected, people are going to be bombarding the Steam Servers all day. Sucks to be in Europe, but it seems the activation has been doing what it was supposed to very effectively.

ovejon
11-16-2004, 06:05 PM
DAMN IT!!! Fawking Steam doesn't want to connect :(

SavedFromSin
11-16-2004, 11:36 PM
For those of you who have recieved HL2, how is it? I am considering buying it and I am wondering if it is worth it. Does it live up to the hype that is surrounding it? I am not to big on PC FPS, but do you guys think I should make an exception and buy this? Your input is appreciated!

ovejon
11-17-2004, 12:14 AM
The game lived up to my expectations. I say it surpasses the first one and valve once again set the bar for fps. Unlike the first game, this one starts out fast and you get immersed with the character and there are times that you feel presure and panic while you go through the levels. Compared to Halo 2, this game wasnt overly hyped. But it sure lived up to the hype that gamers and the media created. Only grip I currently have with this game are the long loading time for each section of the game. Other than that i'm having a blast :D

Renegade X
11-17-2004, 12:20 AM
Best... Single Player... FPS ever. I'm so looking forward to seeing how Vampire Bloodlines turned out. I hope Troika used the source engine for everything it's worth. But as for Half Life 2... it's a utter sin for anybody how calls theirself a gamer not to play this game. This ranks right up there with Super Mario Bros and Legend of Zelda.

Newtype
11-17-2004, 06:44 AM
I should be picking it up later as well hopefully, I post what I think about it but for now I'm playing some WoW.

discomfort wings
11-17-2004, 03:24 PM
I should be picking it up later as well hopefully, I post what I think about it but for now I'm playing some WoW.

Try buying the game directly from steam. If you buy the retail, valve only gets $7 per game while viviendi gets the rest and if you buy from steam, they'll get around $30. Valve deserves it.

Renegade X
11-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Try buying the game directly from steam. If you buy the retail, valve only gets $7 per game while viviendi gets the rest and if you buy from steam, they'll get around $30. Valve deserves it.

Yes they do... plus you cut out the middle man (taxes) when you buy via steam.

Newtype
11-17-2004, 05:59 PM

Too late I already bought it! Too bad one of the files are corrupted and I can't install it. I'll need to get another copy now but I don't even know if I can because the guy said you can't return PC games because of the CD-key stealing, blah blah.

SavedFromSin
11-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Too late I already bought it! Too bad one of the files are corrupted and I can't install it. I'll need to get another copy now but I don't even know if I can because the guy said you can't return PC games because of the CD-key stealing, blah blah.
I heard that the people who buy HL2 from the stores have had problems with their game. I think I will wait to get the game untill they get all the bugs worked out.

Renegade X
11-17-2004, 10:09 PM
I heard that the people who buy HL2 from the stores have had problems with their game. I think I will wait to get the game untill they get all the bugs worked out.

They had problems authenticating(sp?) it, I think that was about it. I do notice a little bit of load stutter in the game, but after that the game runs very smoothly.

ovejon
11-18-2004, 12:03 AM
They had problems authenticating(sp?) it, I think that was about it. I do notice a little bit of load stutter in the game, but after that the game runs very smoothly.

Hey Renegade, what fps are you getting with hl2? I'm getting average 60 fps on my rig (p4 2.8, 512MB ram, radeon 9800 pro). I'm playing with 1024X768 with 2xaa and 4xaf.

Renegade X
11-18-2004, 04:42 AM
Hey Renegade, what fps are you getting with hl2? I'm getting average 60 fps on my rig (p4 2.8, 512MB ram, radeon 9800 pro). I'm playing with 1024X768 with 2xaa and 4xaf.

I'm getting around 60fps average, with a Athlon 64, 1GBram, Radeon 9800 pro, with 1074x768 and pretty much the same threw.

Newtype
11-18-2004, 07:13 AM
I just got another copy and that one is messed up as well....anyone from UK got this game and installed it?

Renegade X
11-18-2004, 11:45 AM
I just got another copy and that one is messed up as well....anyone from UK got this game and installed it?

ummmm, just question, but do you have a DVD drive Newtype, because in the UK, they only have a DVD version of the game.

Newtype
11-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Yes...but anyway I got it to work - had to copy the files onto my hdd then install from there. Only get like 40 - 50 fps with a few things on medium, played cs for a bit didn;t really like it. I've played the single player not got far but will play a bit more later.

Vert1
11-20-2004, 01:59 PM
So hows' the game?

DarknessTearv2
11-20-2004, 07:53 PM
It's boring, not living up to the hype. The only special thing really is the graphics/physics.

Newtype
11-21-2004, 01:10 PM
It's pretty boring at the beginning but I thought that ravenholmes place was good, it was like RE in first person.

discomfort wings
11-22-2004, 04:35 AM
For me, I thought it was the best FPS game ever made. After im done with this, i'll be spending my time with metroid prime 2, then half life 2 again.

Lakers2943
11-22-2004, 04:17 PM
I liked the game but it was a little on the short side and the ending was anti climactic(sp?) and left me asking is that all? but other then that it was good, and now just waiting for the major update for counter strike thats supposed to come sometime in december with the rest of the maps and player models.