PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone gaming - a threat?

Kid0_oIcarus
08-15-2002, 10:50 AM
What do you guys think? Cell phone gaming..?

The GBA is great and all, but maybe Nintendo needs to keep an eye in this market as well. The only thing I don't like about it, is that maybe they'll start making pay-to-play games.. with monthly fees and such. But other than that, it might be a ways off - but it's there in the distance.

Black Ace
08-15-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
What do you guys think? Cell phone gaming..?

The GBA is great and all, but maybe Nintendo needs to keep an eye in this market as well. The only thing I don't like about it, is that maybe they'll start making pay-to-play games.. with monthly fees and such. But other than that, it might be a ways off - but it's there in the distance.

First of, there is no threat for the GBA market. And out of the people who has a cell phone, mostly adults, would they even have the time or even care about this? I can pictured a 15 year old kid played it, not a grown 30 years old.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-15-2002, 12:45 PM
I don't know, I mean- I don't see it as a threat now, or any time soon- since the gaming technology is still in the early stages. But sooner or later it'll be close.

Here in the states, there are many more regulations on cellphones that abroad and so that's a big hurdle to jump through. But eventually someone will find a way to. Unless the handheld market finds a way to keep pumping things out that can't be done on future cellphones, while still keeping the costs lower- it'll catch up. You have a cellphone- you carry just about everywhere with you- why not play some games on it.. even better if the games are actually good!

All I know is that they have cellphones that can send and recieve pictures now- not to mention primitive games. As far as who uses cellphones more- children or adults.. adults play games too.. and gamers do grow up. It's bound to happen. Why cable connect with up to four people, when you can dial in to a massively multiplayer enviroment? Maybe not now- but you can't dispute that it's coming...

Pikachu
08-16-2002, 07:20 PM
It is simply too pricy to get a decent cellphone to play games, plus you need to play addition fee for the games! I don't think a typical youth can afford it unless it's all paid by his or her parents/uncle/aunt.

Besides that, GBA games are much more enjoyable, who wants to play games on the cellphone keypad!?

Havoc2049
08-19-2002, 01:44 PM
GBA doesn't have anything to worry about with cell phone games.
Most cell phone games aren't even up to GBC standards yet. I've played a Breakout clone, Space Invaders clone, a simple RPG called Cavern Crawler and a Golf game on my cell phone. They are ok to play around with while you are waiting to get your oil changed on your car or riding the subway or something like that, but not to bust out and play on your free time. BTW, most of the people I know or see playing cell phone games are adults.

xXx Beaver xXx
08-24-2002, 07:49 AM
Yes, but Cellphones are developing very fast right now and companies like the big N have to prepare for what is most likely to happen.

Who wouldn't want to play Super Mario and ring Grandma up and tell her your new score?

:2happy:

- Triple X Beaver :spinface: