PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XI

Omega's Dust
08-18-2004, 05:00 AM
So, it's out in Europe on the 16th of September and I know I'll be geting it, but who else?, has anyone made up their mind as to wheter they are going to dish out for the experience.

Personally I can't wait to get to Vana 'Diel, It will be my first MMORPG experience. well after PSO, but thats not really a MMORPG.

Dreamkin
08-18-2004, 06:05 AM
I already have it. Playing the US version in Europe. I can help you around if you want. Contant me before you create your character. I can give you a worldpass for the server I'm on... Shiva.

Omega's Dust
08-18-2004, 06:44 AM
Thanks man, that sounds cool, I probably will need some help to begin with, I hate being a Noob. My mate will be joining too, so if you had 2 passes that would be excellent... oh and just one question whats the difference between all the servers, ie: Leviathan and Shiva?

Thanks again

Vyse
08-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Based on my extensive Dark Age of Camelot experience, FF11 sounds like it is pure ass.

(by that I mean I really like DAOC for a long time, and FF11 doesnt sound like it has any worthwhile features)

Omega's Dust
08-19-2004, 06:24 AM
Based on my extensive Dark Age of Camelot experience, FF11 sounds like it is pure ass.

(by that I mean I really like DAOC for a long time, and FF11 doesnt sound like it has any worthwhile features)

?? :confused:

Drunken Savior
08-19-2004, 06:43 AM
He's just trying to **** in your cereal. But here's a link for you in case you didn't wanna deal with worldpasses:

http://www.square-x.com/users/ffxi/server.htm

Omega's Dust
08-19-2004, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the link man. ;)

Drunken Savior
08-19-2004, 07:05 AM
No problem! Except whatever Server you decide to join with your first chara is the server ALL your characters will play on. :( I'm on Alexander :D, but I don't play too much anymore. I'm finding less and less time to spend time on MMORPGs as classes begin again. They are truly summertime affairs.

Omega's Dust
08-19-2004, 10:08 AM
How many servers are there in total?, Summer time affairs eh, well I'll find the time believe you me, i'll find the time.

Mistatee
08-19-2004, 11:37 AM

Trust me, i played it for two months, DAOC is better. And DAOC sucked ass. FF11 is possibly the boringest MMORPG out there. And i got to 65 in EQ... so i know boring. As MMORPGs go, i suggest wait for World of Warcraft. Trust me, ff11 will pale in comparison to it. (though ff11 pales in comparison to EQ, which is 6 years old now.)

Omega's Dust
08-23-2004, 05:44 AM
I dunno Mistatee, the prospect of playing with a few of my mates without having to go to their houses all the time is quite alluring. Maybe i'll get both.

*edit*

Just a few more questions regarding the European version:

1: will I have to download patches straight away?
2: Will a 56k modem suffice if I can't get Broadband?
3: Can you log on more or less straight away, or is there a lot of paper work?

:confused:

Reko8
08-26-2004, 12:35 AM
ok I've been playing FFXi for like 4 months but i'm not like addicted to the game...hard to find time to play. here are the answers to ur questions

1) After you install everything on ur PS2 you download all the patches right before you make your first character.

2) No, you don't need broadbrand to play and u can play with a 56k modem but you might get disconnecting more than the people with broadband

3) To log on you have to go through the playonline viewer and u have to log on and you go through about like 5 screens but they only take like 5 seconds to load and this game aint a game that you sit down for a couple minutes to play and then leave

Hope this helps!

Omega's Dust
08-26-2004, 04:59 AM
Ya thanks, although I'll be getting it on the PC, not PS2(FF XI isn't coming to Europe on the PS2)

Reko8
08-26-2004, 09:34 AM
ok well the only difference really between the pc and ps2 is that you dont have to install anything on the ps2, you just register and download patches

Omega's Dust
08-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Only 3 weeks to go..... :)

Mistatee
08-26-2004, 12:39 PM
im warning you Omega
That game isnt fun...
There will be better MMORPGs out in about 4 months
It will be better just to wait for World of Warcraft.
Trust me
FF11 is slow, ultra-repetitive, and it take about an hour to form a group (unless ur white mage)
FF11 is near impossible to solo after lvl 10, and trust me thats bad
When you cant get in a group and cant solo all you can do is sit and wait
Thats Boring
In world of Warcraft you can solo thats funner
Also Downtime (time that you sit in an MMORPG to regenerate HP) in FF11 is long
Like 3 minutes long
Try watching a character sit for 3 minutes
That sucks
WoW will have no more than 30 seconds downtime
Thats short for an MMORPG
Also WoW has PvP
Thats Player VS Player
PvP is fun
Thats why i play MMORPGs
FF11 has no PvP unless you do mad quests
FF11 quests suck
And after the quests, the PvP isnt fun
Its not fun becuase the combat in FF11 makes the game slow
It makes movement less of an option
Also sheathing your weapon took to long and annoyed me

Play at your own risk, you have been warned

Reko8
08-26-2004, 03:12 PM
well first off I can see your not social since you can't find a party. you probaly never made it past the Valkrum Dunes and the Dunes doesn't make a good impression on partying. if you think playing a MMORPG by yourself is fun, then you shouldn't even be playing a MMORPG. The whole point of an online experience is to play with other people, not yourself. FFXI is so far the best MMORPG out there. How do you even how WoW is if you never even played it. Just because a game has big expectations doesn't mean it's going to be the best game ever.

Mistatee
08-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Cuz i Beta Test WoW

And Soloing in an MMORPG must be at least semi-possible, or you'll be stuck LFG and sitting in town doing nothing rather than being LFG and soloing make a decent amount of EXP before grouping.

Maybe you enjoy stting on your ass in a game, but if my ass is gonna be in a chair playing a game, i dont espect my character to do it as well. FFXI forces groups after level 10.

Incase you are curious on why i play MMORPGS, i play them with my friends. friends who form a guild and trash everything is always more fun than a standard RPG. However in the case of FFXI we all got jumbled around. Some of us wanted to use advanced jobs, others didnt.

Did i mention going back to lvl 1 4 time in the span of 1 month SUCKS. I did that to become a Ranger/Ninja.

Well those of us who were close to each others level grouped, but we had no healer. Bam LFG for about an hour on average waiting for a WHM sub or main to go LFG... Boring. End of discussion, that just sucks. And thats an Average, and no i dont mind partying with Japanese players.

Well once a group is formed we kill stuff. We kill alot of stuff. But the downtime in between fights averages 1.5 minutes. Thats NOT FUN. And since we have no clue who the WHM is, they usually end up leaving before anyone has leveled. Hmmm wait another hour to find a WHM = Log off. (Note sometimes we got lucky and got a replacement quick)

Another reason we all play MMORPGs is PvP. We like to kill other players. Unfortunatley you cant in FFXI, nor would it be fun since the combat requires 0 skill. No movement would be allowed since you are locked to your target. Ohhh but it would be soooo much fun to kill people in FFXI anyway, seeing as the entire community seems to be about 12 years of age and in love with FF, warranting KOS to almost everythere, but we couldnt

Now lets look at a day in WoW on the PvP server. Me and one of my friends got into the BETA. Im a lvl 52 Rouge, and hes a lvl 49 Warrior. Damn is WoW fun. We went through most of the game duoing quests (since quests are awesome in WoW not monotonous like in FFXI) and mobs. We found Druids/Shamen/Priests who seemed to know what they were doing and we grouped with them also. This allows us to do Instances without breaking a sweet. Though we have also done instances with just a mage extra. Not variety in groups. Also note more than one healer to can be the main for a group (RDM only worked if it had WHM sub, maybe BLK)

What do we do when we find Alliance members we kill them. And it usually takes more skills than hitting attack and holding forward until you got 100 TP (which took awhile unless you were samurai) There was movement, skill combos, timing, ohhh how fun it is.

Not once has me and my friend sat LFG in WoW and im 3 lvls from the current cap. Even when i log on and my friend isnt on, i can solo (stuff my lvl and maybe 2 lvls higher) without downtime (well 25 seconds every 3-4 kills) or see if any of my in-game friends are on. or i can PvP.

Dont underestimate PvP. If FFXI had it, and it required skill, then i wouldnt hate the game, at all. Go LFG and PvP people that would be sweet. But then again that community would probally blacklist me because i ruined their Final Fntasy Experience.

Just trust me on this one. FFXI cannot top WoW. Hell EQ was more fun, thats not a good sign.

DarknessTearv2
08-28-2004, 05:02 PM
All MMORPGs should be wiped from the face of the earth. All you do is click an enemy, watch them attack it, level up. Oh and the occasional F1 - 12 or whatever.. which does some sort of magic or skill that you learned. Booooring. I'd wait for Shenmue Online, which is an MMARPG.

Note: A = Action.

Meshugana
08-29-2004, 03:42 AM
All MMORPGs should be wiped from the face of the earth. All you do is click an enemy, watch them attack it, level up. Oh and the occasional F1 - 12 or whatever.. which does some sort of magic or skill that you learned. Booooring. I'd wait for Shenmue Online, which is an MMARPG.

Note: A = Action.

so wheres the "O", this mean its not online ;) ;)

Mistatee
08-29-2004, 11:48 AM
so wheres the "O", this mean its not online ;) ;)

Yeah its not online, requires hundreds of multitaps for your XBOX turnng each players screen into a pea sized speck. Thats Massivly Multiplayer for you.

Also there is system Link Space Harrier!!

j/k

Darkness Tear- All MMORPGs should be wiped from the face of the earth. All you do is click an enemy, watch them attack it, level up. Oh and the occasional F1 - 12 or whatever.. which does some sort of magic or skill that you learned. Booooring. I'd wait for Shenmue Online, which is an MMARPG.

Do you play RPGs? Its the samething but without f1-f12
Also, MMORPGs with PvP built into the equation are more open-ended than anygame type.

Ultima Online was cool becuase you could be pirates. You could be the black knight guarding the bridge saying none shall pass. You can lay chests filled with poison everywhere and watch n00bs open them and die. It was fun.

Also, there are some MMORPGs (those that are not point and click) that play more lick a melee FPAction title. MMO games have a huge player base. And that player base's skill is diversed. When you are uber you can take on 3-5 people same level at the same time and win. Then you steal all their crap and listen to them cry about it. Then you agree to give it back, meet with them, and kill them and take more of it away. Plus the fun in killing people by the hundreds rule. Running into n00b zones occasionally when max level and gunning down lowbies can be quite entertaining if done in moderation

I suspect that the only MMOs you may have played were point and click ones, am i right. Point and click sucks, unless its a real time strategy game

DarknessTearv2
08-29-2004, 12:07 PM
RPGs actually have a storyline and music for one, MMORPGs lack that. Also RPGs can actually be beaten.

qing256
08-29-2004, 02:57 PM
the only 2 MMORPGs I know that actually have story as part of its game play is FF11 and Tales Weaver (a korean mmorpg made by nexon and softmax) and it is possible to beat the game but that depeneds on how long it takes the next story quest to come out and even with beating the game u still have the option of cotinue to play ur character .

Mistatee
08-30-2004, 12:02 AM
RPGs actually have a storyline and music for one, MMORPGs lack that. Also RPGs can actually be beaten.

you make your own story in MMORPGs. The open-ended gameplay warrants alittle Roleplaying on your part (if you must have a story) Plus most GOOD MMORPGS have certain lore behind areas, if you take the time to find them

Mishi
08-31-2004, 12:43 AM
i've been playing ffxi and it is great at upper lvls. its all about reputation and who you play with. the hours of waiting you speak of does happen now and then. but if your like me and have made a huge list of friends you can pretty much build a party very quickly. there is a job that allow for solo past 10. beastmasters solo the entire way. supposedly DRG can also but not effective.

as much as you bash ffxi. it requires alot of skill to play the jobs well. you will begin to notice teh good from the bad at around 40+ there are also alot of strategy to combat. and many different party builds. which is where the fun comes in for pt leaders ^^)/ its also interesting to meet and chat with people from all over the world. which will be even more apparent when all the europeans start showing up on the servers.

you obviously never done the majority of missions or quests in ffxi or BCNM challenges or garrison which is new. they add alot to the gameplay.
you can do a form of pvp called ballista which is basically a controlled pvp.

Mistatee
09-02-2004, 01:50 AM
ballista was gimp. But FFXI's combat mechanics didnt allow for much. Its pretty much stand there and beat on each other. Reall MMO PvP takes skill.

I will agree that you can tell a bad player from a good towards the end (note i only got to 49Rang/24Nin) But combat was slow and for the most part unentertaining. FFXI is probally the slowest MMO out there, which can be good at times (takes more strategy since battles took longer) but in the long run, just wasnt rewarding to me. (Probally the lack of PvP and gimpy controls) I find about 90% of the quests/missions to be tideous and uterly boring. plus i lvled a warrior to 30, theif to 15, ranger to 49 and ninja to 24, that was also tedious. plus i spent most of my lower lvls with friends so my lvl 40+ experience was being done with 4 people on my friends list.

For PS2, FFXI is the best MMO (cuz EQ:OA sucked big time) but if your playing on the computer, and you like PvP, then i recomend DAoC or EQ (if you must play an MMO now) or do what im doing and beat test/wait for World of Warcraft.

Omega's Dust
09-21-2004, 03:52 PM
Mistatee I got FF Xi and I love it passionatly, it's a fantastic game and I'm enjoying everything so far.

Reko8
09-21-2004, 07:05 PM
hey did you get the COP expansion...if you did are there any new classes? There was a storm and teh plane shipping the games couldnt ship them because of it so the game didnt come in, in the are im in...sux...o and what world are you on?

Omega's Dust
09-22-2004, 02:25 PM
No new classes Reiko, just six new areas. I'm on Unicorn, San D'Oria, Elvann male, LvL 3 warrior LvL 3 Red mage, going online now, if anyone(who is new to the game like me)wishes to form a party or linkshell either post here or PM me, it would be nice to see some of you online, well of to slay some wild rabbits.
Oh and my name is Omega's Dust also in FFxi, see ya.

Reko8
09-22-2004, 10:38 PM
Cool, are you lvl 3 with a sub job or no sub job because if you have a sub job already you must've been playing too much. I'm on Leviathan and on October 3rd you are allowed to change worlds with a character instead of started a whole new character to be on a world. So if you want to you can come to my world and play with me and my freiends in real life because we party a lot. We made a second character because our first one was pretty much experimentation. I'm a lvl 10 Hume Monk in Bastok and I'm waiting for my friend to level because he was a thief but hated it so now he's a lvl 6 hume red mage. this saturday me and him our going to hook up our ps2's in the same room and play together in the game and party in the dunes with each other. Me and him can help you with a lot of stuff because we know quite a few stuff about it. I just got COP today and currently installing it so think about joining our world :) OK cya

Mistatee
09-23-2004, 03:55 PM
I doubt anyone here played the wow stress test...
If you did, you would realize what you are playing isnt fun

But hey, if you are having fun with it, go for it. Dont let me get in your way because i didnt

Omega's Dust
09-25-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks reiko, but my friends will be joining Unicorn in a few days so i'll just stick to that world I think, haveing massive fun at the moment, and I don't have a sub job yet, been at college all week so hadn't much time to go on but now it' sat and i'll be on for the entire weekend, see ya.

Omega's Dust
09-26-2004, 04:20 PM
As i have said before I wish to organize regular party members on the unicorn server, this will aid the development of quests and missions, which need to be completed to get anywhere in vana diel.

Current stats:

Warr lvl 3: no skills or spells
Red Mage lvl 7: Power break skill/ Magic: Cure, protect, dia, poisin, stone.

Once again anyone who may be interesed can contact Omega's Dust in San D'oria on the unicorn server or look for the Prophecy linkshell. thanks for your time.

Omega's Dust
11-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Haven't posted in awhile, and I was just thinking I'll see if anyone has had anything to say about FF xi, obviously not be anyway here is what i've been doing the last 2 months in Vana Diel:

Have attained Rank 3-
Attained sub job-
Attained Chocobo(yeah)-
Completed 22 quests-
Made tones of friends-
Formed my own L/S_Irishlegion-
Traveled to Jueno/Windy/Bastok-
Fought Gil Sellers for lumber in Ghelbsa-
Improved crafting skills-
Camped NM's to no avail-
And in general enjoyed myself.

Character Omegasdust-Elvaan

Warr-lvl 10
Rdm-lvl 23
Blk-lvl 6
Wht-lvl 11

So, any new players to Unicron give us a shout, be happy to entertain you for an evening.

(:

Drunken Savior
11-11-2004, 07:55 PM
I don't play FFXI anymore :( It's a pity, but if your in Alexander, let me know, I know some people who are good and can help a lot.

KitFox
11-12-2004, 01:50 AM
I haven't played in forever. I had to uninstall it from my PC because it took up too much space. However...I've still been paying them monthly to save my character.

I'm thinking about getting the PS2 version. What would you say the advantages and disadvantages are for each version?