PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo.. overloaded?

j_factor
08-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Something I was just thinking about. With DS coming, they're going to be trying to support 3 systems simultaneously, especially since they made comments assuring people that DS wasn't GBA's replacement. Then when Revolution debuts, they'll be supporting 4 (Revolution, DS, GBA, and the tail end of GC). And if they are in fact making a successor to GBA, that brings the tally to 5, with two being systems on their way out.
In 1994, Sega brought out the 32x as another add-on system for the Genesis, thus bringing their number of supported systems to four. The next year came Saturn which they shifted their major focus to. And they basically imploded in transition. Of course, there's much more to what happened than Sega having too many systems, but that was a big problem.

Has this thought occurred to anyone else, that Nintendo may get a case of "too many systems syndrome"? Might they be spreading themselves a bit thin?

Reality
08-12-2004, 05:07 PM
Good insight. Yeah, I been wondering off and on about it also. Really they seem to have things well planed out at lest. They have maybe under 10 titles in the works for the DS and third parties look like they'll be all over it like they were the GBA. And the GBA and stuff just rides off 3rd parties, Nintendo just need to be there to get it started.

The GCN looks like it's going to be finishing up with Prime and other this year with Zelda coming next year. And the N5 will have Mario and Pilot Wings.

Vert1
08-12-2004, 05:07 PM
I think Nintendo is up to the challenge of managing all those systems.GBA support won't drop completely.I'm pretty sure companies will continue to port games to it.

DBJAY
08-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Well, easy answer there. Nintendo is killing off one of the product lines. The GBA SP and DS can co-exist for a bit, given that they both can run GBA SP software. This way, if DS takes off and sales of the SP drop, they can kill off the SP. Or if DS bombs, then they still have the GBA SP to fall back on.

With Revolution, if we are to believe what Nintendo has previously stated about the console, it may not be a traditional home console like a more powerful GC, but a different product altogether. If it is, then Revolution can co-exist with the GC for a bit.

Or, if the Revolution console is their next gen version of the GC, then it would make little sense to keep the GC going. That and besides Zelda, Nintendo has not made one single game announcement for 05 for the GC platform, and it's the middle of August in 04.

Dr. Bombay
08-12-2004, 05:18 PM
It's not that big of a deal. Nintendo saying that the DS isn't the next gameboy was just a safeguard against failure. this way, if it fails, they can turn around and say, well, it was just and experiment that failed. Gameboy 2 is still on the way. But if the DS IS successful, then they'll just continue to produce for it.

As bad as it seems, I see no reason for Nintendo to continue to support the GBA once the DS is out, if it is successful. 3rd party titles for GBA can come out most definately, but it seems like their attention will want to be focused upon the more graphically impressive and cheaper to produce software for the DS. They will be fighting a battle with the PSP, price issues or otherwise, and they want to keep the games looking as great as they can with the great gameplay that's come with them.

As for the Revolution and the GCN, remember that Nintendo said that the revolution WILL be backwards compatible with the GCN, thusly supporting the GCN will also be supporting the Revolution. By doing this, they essentially bind the console market for each system together.

So they're no so much overloaded as they are stacking systems ontop of each other, Revolution on top of GCN, DS ontop of GBA. It's not a bad thing, and Nintendo should be able to easily manage it.

Mainstreme Fan
08-13-2004, 04:38 AM
Or, if the Revolution console is their next gen version of the GC, then it would make little sense to keep the GC going. That and besides Zelda, Nintendo has not made one single game announcement for 05 for the GC platform, and it's the middle of August in 04.

Geist
wario ware sequel
Advanced wars under fire.

Thats 3 to your 1. :rolleyes:

Escaflowne2001
08-13-2004, 06:47 AM
Not that either Geist or Advanced wars is made by Nintendo.

Makaveli_786
08-13-2004, 08:32 AM
I think when the Revolution debuts the GC will be dropped, the GBA is supported mainly by Nintendo and its inhouse companies and im sure it will keep getting the support it needs to be successful, the GBA DS is being supported by mainstream companies aside from Nintendo and that should be enough to mark the DS's success, the Revolution on the other hand will HOPEFULLY have 3rd party developers and more games, I'm hoping they use an open format so they get more support, if I ran Nintendo this is what I would I do.

The Revolution needs to be backwards compatible with GC games, the GBA needs inhouse support from Nintendo(keep selling mario party kids etc etc to the kids who buy GBA) and the DS needs outer support, games should be ported from N64 which wont be too hard since the DS and N64 have similar specs, that ensures Nintendo classics will keep the kids buying the DS then support from other companies and porting of games like GTA and Max Payne will ensure older customers keep coming to the DS as well.

That way everybodies happy and Nintendo isnt overloaded... shouldnt I be working for Nintnedo huh?

Reality
08-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Not that either Geist or Advanced wars is made by Nintendo.

Not that it really matters. They are publishing the games so it's pretty safe to say the games are being made because of them.

Escaflowne2001
08-13-2004, 10:24 AM
Not that it really matters. They are publishing the games so it's pretty safe to say the games are being made because of them.

Oh yeah of course, but alot less involving.

Which there hurry up and release them still waiting to see why Nintendo chose
N-Space and Kuju for the two games as both have been nothing but bad developers thus far.

DBJAY
08-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Geist
wario ware sequel
Advanced wars under fire.

Thats 3 to your 1. :rolleyes:

Geist was delayed from 04 to 05, and announced in 03! Beyond Zelda, Nintendo hasn't confirmed a single major software title for the GC. Way to read! :clap:

Vert1
08-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Nintendo doesn't have any huge killer apps for 2005 besides Zelda but they certainly have titles they will release for it to continue GC's lifespan.I can't wait to play DK:Jungle Beat! :sing:

-edit-that doesn't include third party games such as RE4 and Namco's StarFox2.

Sinful Sam
08-14-2004, 02:25 AM
Nintendo might not release the GBA successor depending how well the DS sells. If it sell well they might not realease it after some time.

Mainstreme Fan
08-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Geist was delayed from 04 to 05, and announced in 03! Beyond Zelda, Nintendo hasn't confirmed a single major software title for the GC. Way to read! :clap:

So waht if it was delay? It still won`t be release until nexy year. You just hate being wrong all the time.