PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever think...

Darren
08-10-2002, 04:49 AM
Video game's and video game consoles will ever get so advanced that the makers and creators wont have any ideas on what else to make? Do you think this could be true? Plus when do you think it may happen if you think its true.

I think it will in 20 years. :spin smil

Seska
08-10-2002, 06:29 AM
Nope, there is no such thing as "run out of ideas". Look at the history of literature itself. They still make new novels with new stories and ideas, don't they?

Videogames will be similar. In 20 years you will have Mario doing the same old stuff, maybe in a virtual world where you control him with your own movements and all the display and sound information is fed neurally into you.

But it will still be Mario. Remakes and sequels willlive on long after we are dead and buried.

Then again, I am guessing in 30 years a giant meteorite will strike earth and we will all burn in a global storm of fire, but thats beside the point.

Black Ace
08-10-2002, 10:34 AM
Runs of idea? This will never happened. Runs out of originalities? This has already happened, years ago. Mark my words.

mxgame
08-10-2002, 05:13 PM
It's not that people have run out of new ideas but the fact that not everything will make a good videogame. Plus most ideas will not make a profit-the biggest concern of all publishers.

Seska
08-10-2002, 06:19 PM
I wouldnt say developers have run out of original ideas years ago. Originality in a game nowadays is a rare breed, certainly, but every now and then we get flashes of brilliance such as Jet Set Radio, Ico, Black and White.

They are rare, true, but not quite dead. However, considering the sale numbers of Ico and JSR, it often seems like originality and innovation go hand in hand with poor financial success. Bold and innovative concepts are not often met with the attenton and success they deserve. Those pc gamers out there familiar with Looking Glass Studios know this all too well.

For developers its always easier to make a buck with a safe bet on a Doom sequel or yet another Resident Evil clone.