PDA

View Full Version : Sega to censor Skies of Arkadia for GC

mxgame
08-09-2002, 12:45 PM
The following is taken from todays news on Magicbox:

Sega mentioned that the content of Eternal Arcadia (Skies of Arcadia) will be cleaned up to suit younger players. Scenes such as smoking, inadequate expressions and dialogues, and the use of alcoholic beverages will be removed from the game

It seems that other companies are dead set on Nintendo having the younger demographic. I know Nintendo is (wisely) taking steps to broaden it's market and tactics like this can't help.

Black Ace
08-09-2002, 01:06 PM
Dumb ass SEGA. Virtual Fighter Quest will also get kiddified.

Alucard
08-09-2002, 01:12 PM
Well when you think about it those things they are removing aren't a big thing. Having played the game before I dont mind seeing the smoking or the alcohol removed. Though theres a couple things I'd prefer to stay there like a scene from this certain bar. That was amusing. Hopefully they'll leave that as it is since its actually part of the story/character.

Rubeus
08-09-2002, 01:53 PM
They may even remove the entire bar and replace it with a McDonald type restaurant (for kids), what can you do in a bar without alcohol and smoke?

WINDJAMMERS
08-09-2002, 07:49 PM
Smoking, drinking, and swearing weren't that big of a part in the original, but those are things pirates do....

aneep
08-09-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Dumb ass SEGA. Virtual Fighter Quest will also get kiddified.

hehe

maybe u should not so so quick to put the blame on Sega...

-aneep-

gabriel
08-10-2002, 12:09 AM
maybe u should not so so quick to put the blame on Sega...

Maybe he should, it's Sega's choice not Nintendo's. Why would Nintendo want to remove some minor stuff like that, but have games like Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness released on their system? I hate all the uproars that censorship causes, they're ironically childish (not necessarily this one in particular but I've seen it happen plenty of times).

Alucard
08-10-2002, 01:37 AM
Makes you wonder just who they are censoring the game for. Japanese players? Hmm..dont think so. Considering what happens in daily anime there. American players? Could be.. Considering the amount of sueing that happens there, maybe Sega just want to keep themselves covered.

Seska
08-10-2002, 06:20 AM
Censoring has been done for ages, thats why characters always drink "Tea" and never smoke and are the prime example of a choirschoolboys. In Nintendo consoles at least. What next, in the MGS2 version for GCN will Snake be smoking menthols? Blah. I very much doubt the Japanese version will be censored, its a typical Nintendo attitude to make the games as kiddie friendly as possible. Cant say I am surprised, but nevertheless am disappointed.

YEs, the changes wont really affect the cool story and game experience. I am sure changing the main Character's name to "Bobby" or "Mike" and making the names more western-friendly wouldnt change the overall experience either. But still it would SUCK.

So does censoring.

Black Ace
08-10-2002, 10:28 AM
The only time Nintendo forced developer to censored games were back in the NES and SNES days. After Mortal Kombat, Nintendo lets them do whatever the hell they feels like.

mxgame
08-10-2002, 11:25 AM
I think you are forgetting Duke Nukem on the N64 was censored ny Nintendo.

Rubeus
08-10-2002, 12:31 PM
Not only that, even the N64 Cruis n' USA series were all censored. They have removed all the crashable animals on the roads.

mxgame
08-11-2002, 10:02 PM
If Nintendo was really smart they would have deem Cruis'n USA an assualt on the senses and banned it altogether.

WINDJAMMERS
08-12-2002, 09:27 PM
The Cruis'n series sucks on so many levels, it is not even funny.