PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil Film Sequel

Black Ace
08-08-2002, 11:52 PM
Xengamers:

While on location in Tokyo this week to promote the release of Resident Evil, director Paul Anderson and star Milla Jovovich revealed preliminary details regarding the next silver screen adaptation of Capcom's horror series. Specifically, Anderson confirmed that he's currently writing the story for the sequel and plans to produce the film. Reportedly, the story will be loosely based on events in the game Resident Evil 3. It's believed elements of the sequel were inspired by Capcom producer Shinji Mikami, responsible for some of Capcom's most successful games including Resident Evil 3 and Devil May Cry. In an effort to flesh out story ideas, Anderson and Mikami spent several days together discussing the series. Below are several pictures of Milla Jovovich and Paul Anderson taken on-location during a press conference for Resident Evil held yesterday. For reference, the film is scheduled for release on August 31 in Japan.

I never seen the Resident Evil movie that came out earlier this year. Boohoo!

flamingspiral
08-09-2002, 01:25 AM
Don't worry, your not missing much.

xXx Beaver xXx
08-09-2002, 01:32 AM
Another one already? What in the world?!

Daft, was the first one really that bad? Phew, I saved my 2 cents on that one!

- Triple X Beaver:spin smil

Seska
08-09-2002, 03:26 AM
I didnt think it was that bad, as far as movies based on games go, its right up thre along with Tomb Raider (if you want to call that a compliment :p) I think people expected WAY too much of it and were somewhat let down.

ITs a movie with Zombies in it, and while its not scary at all, it captures the same feel of the games and has some pretty cool scenes in it (particularly toward the end). Its definitely worth a rent, if not going to watch it at the cinema. Im looking forward to part 2, though its painfully obvious from the end of PArt 1, that the sequel was going to be heavily based on Resident Evil: Nemesis.

xXx Beaver xXx
08-09-2002, 07:11 AM
Oh, thats okay then. I really didn't expect too much from it.
The sequel should be good, then.

- Triple X Beaver :spin smil

Kamui
08-09-2002, 07:19 AM
Resident Evil just got in the (small) list of movies that don?t destroy the franchise entirely. But, I will wait some more to a good movie based on a game. The film aired 3 weeks ago here and is doing well in the box-office. On the first week, it came in second place in the box-office just behind MIB 2. In the second week, RE just lose to Minority report and MIB 2. That's because the film aires in a limited screening with few theaters. It started with 7 theaters only ( in Rio ) and now it have 12. Most of it because Star wars flopped here...

xXx Beaver xXx
08-09-2002, 07:24 AM
Star Wars 2 sorta a flop over here, too.

Best for dvd rental. :)

- Triple X Beaver :spin smil

ATMA
08-09-2002, 11:12 AM
I thought that movie wasn't that bad!They kinda made a prety good job IMO about the story kinda kept it in the R.E universe
and not trying to make something that doesn't make any sence
(Like a certain company name SQUARESOFT did with a certain movie call Final Fanatsy the movie :irked" )

IMO R.E wasn't a bad movie!
The way the first movie ended they better bring out a sequel!

hgblob
08-10-2002, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by ATMA
I thought that movie wasn't that bad!They kinda made a prety good job IMO about the story kinda kept it in the R.E universe
and not trying to make something that doesn't make any sence
(Like a certain company name SQUARESOFT did with a certain movie call Final Fanatsy the movie :irked" )

Yeah, RE was an okay 'shoot the zombie' flick, but watch what ya say about FF: Spirits Within! :( I thought it was a pretty good movie. Its story made sense within the context of its own universe. Besides, all FFs have no ties with one another except for a few small elements (chocobo, Cid), so why would you expect the movie to be otherwise?

Alucard
08-10-2002, 02:51 AM
RE movie was lots of fun. I think the director did excellent, as well with the script. Good film. Worth watching. Can't wait for the second.

Seska
08-10-2002, 06:45 AM
The FF movie was pretty decent, I thought. People jsut expect far too much of it, I guess, but it did have that heavy FF theme in it (gather spirits instead of crystals) and I am very glad they didnt go for a total hollywood-happy ending.

Too bad it flopped so badly, we will enver see any more movies from square.

Except in their games of course, which have enough cutscenes to make a whole movie, each. :p

Rubeus
08-10-2002, 12:39 PM
I think it would be way better to make a Devil May cry movie.

ATMA
08-12-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by hgblob
but watch what ya say about FF: Spirits Within! :( I thought it was a pretty good movie. Its story made sense within the context of its own universe. Besides, all FFs have no ties with one another except for a few small elements (chocobo, Cid), so why would you expect the movie to be otherwise?

Well all Final Fantasy have another story than the previous but it still got some similarity and plus there are things that you can't leafe out of it!
Like Summons (I'm not sure but i haven't play all FF but perhaps the first 3 doesn't have summons) and magic ..What's FF withouth magic? Was there Magic in the movie?? Atleast one summon wouldn't hurt!! Sure these things wouldn't be enough to make it a great movie but atleast sets the right atmosphere for a FF movie!

What if they make a R.E without the zombies, that wouldn't make much sense? So that's what i meant with "making no sense"
What if they make a Lord of the rings without all those magic or without wizard, that just change the name of Lord of the rings right ? So why did they make FF the movie totaly different from the games?
Well this is the way i see it !

WINDJAMMERS
08-12-2002, 09:12 PM
As far as videogame movies go....

Resident Evil > Street Fighter > Mario Bros. > Final Fantasy

I'm sure most will agree.

Galactos
08-16-2002, 02:45 AM
I loathe the Resident Evil movie. Oh sure, compared to something like Street Fighter or something, it was good. But it was an insult to horror movies and zombie movies and Resident Evil. Its not a horror movie...its an action movie. Resident Evil is not an action game. There was no suspense and the damn thing was too fast paste, and though it did follow the game better then some videogame to movie movies (i.e., Super Mario Bros.) it still had a couple of things that just don't fit in to the games. They should have got Sam Raimi or the dude from Night of the Living Dead to do it. Sure, it might not have followed the games as well...but at least it would be scary!

hgblob
08-16-2002, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by ATMA

What if they make a R.E without the zombies, that wouldn't make much sense? So that's what i meant with "making no sense"
What if they make a Lord of the rings without all those magic or without wizard, that just change the name of Lord of the rings right ? So why did they make FF the movie totaly different from the games?
Well this is the way i see it !

I didn't see the FF movie as something totally different from the games, because the story itself was very similar. There are the usual types of characters, the style of story progression from start to finish, the usual themes of friendship, love, sacrifice, death and hope. Chocobos, summons, even Cid (or Sid)... these were just cosmetic, I thought. I'd heard that they had wanted to put something similar to summonses in the movie at first, but as they couldn't make it work within the context of the movie's setting, they took those out. Instead, the most they allowed themselves were some little hidden chocobo images here and there. Limiting the amount of 'nudge-wink' homages to the games was a good move, IMO, because it gave the movie a chance to try and stand on its own merits. (Too bad they stuck to putting 'Final Fantasy' on the title, though. I do wish they hadn't done that. Maybe the audiences would have been a little more forgiving of the movie's departure from the games then.)

In the end, to each his own :)