PDA

View Full Version : News: Rareware mysteries

Black Ace
08-08-2002, 04:23 PM
N-Philes.com:

Quite mysterious activity from Rareware Ltd. today, as they have removed Donkey Kong Racing for the Nintendo GameCube and Donkey Kong: Coconut Crackers for the GBA from their list of forthcoming titles on their official website (here).

Interestingly, Rare's page retains Diddy Kong Pilot for the GBA.

This, of course, adds fury to the fire that Rare is indeed following in the footsteps of Left Field by going third party, as Nintendo owns the rights to the Donkey Kong series.

Whether the removal is a result of Nintendo yanking the coveted franchise from Rare or not, it certainly isn't a good thing.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-08-2002, 04:36 PM
Oh shoot - and I was looking forward to Donkey Kong Racing, too.

Loks like something is going down. I wonder if Rare does leave, will Nintendo pick up another fledgling developers studio to tuck under it's wing for several years?...

aneep
08-08-2002, 06:21 PM
Nintendo just bough Retro afterall (when this rumor 1st appeared)
i think they know something we don't about Rare situation :)

and i'm not aware about Left field developing for anyone else other than Nintendo

-aneep-

zeldaxzone
08-08-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Bill

I agree Its a mystery RareWare is not saying anything except they are giving us StarFox Adventures Sept 23th and it looks like a killer title! But they have yet to say anything on there other games? Wheres Perfect Dark Zero? Or Kameo Elments Of Power? Or Donkey Kong Racing?" Go Figure it just proves today how lazy Videogame companies are getting today!:irked"

Rubeus
08-08-2002, 09:27 PM
It reminds me of Square took of the Wonderswan pages in their website, and now they are going fully to Gameboy Advance.

Black Ace
08-09-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by zeldaxzone

I agree Its a mystery RareWare is not saying anything except they are giving us StarFox Adventures Sept 23th and it looks like a killer title! But they have yet to say anything on there other games? Wheres Perfect Dark Zero? Or Kameo Elments Of Power? Or Donkey Kong Racing?" Go Figure it just proves today how lazy Videogame companies are getting today!:irked"

KEO is still scheduled to released this year, and may not be under the Nintendo label. DKR is removed by popular belief that Nintendo ordered Rare to removed all lisence Nintendo characters from it.

Bookbagninja
08-09-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
Oh shoot - and I was looking forward to Donkey Kong Racing, too.

Loks like something is going down. I wonder if Rare does leave, will Nintendo pick up another fledgling developers studio to tuck under it's wing for several years?...

They still have Hal Labs. who constantly make quality games. Anyone remember Rollerball, the pinball game? That was the ONLY pinball game I enjoyed. Nintendo will be fine. I still, personally think people put way too much stock in Rare. They make sweet games, no doubt, but Nintendo won't crumble if they were to go non-exclusive.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-09-2002, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I agree - Rare is just another gem on the crown, really. And I had forgotten about Retro studios, they did just come on board.

I so wanted Donkey Kong Racing though.. I hope they still make this game - it looked really sweet. Hmm.. I wonder though- wthout the Donkey Kong license... would it be the same? I guess they could substitute other animals or whatever.. but then it'd have no backstory.. eh- I'd probably still buy it as long as I thought I might enjoy it.

Vash
08-10-2002, 01:18 AM
so has there been any info at all released about Perfect Dark Zero?

Havoc2049
08-12-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
Yeah, I agree - Rare is just another gem on the crown, really. And I had forgotten about Retro studios, they did just come on board.

Retro Studios isn't doing that great either. They were working on three games for the GC, then Nintendo came in and canceled two of the games and laid off a lot of the employees. Retro Studios is now only working on Metroid. What will happen after that? Also, will the remaining employees really put their heart and soul into Metroid, with such an uncertian future.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Metroid is being supervised by Nintendo themselves and I'm sure they're aware of what's at stake... I would hope so anyway- with no other exclusive FPS on my mind... even if it is an FPA or whatever... Nintendo needs Metroid to be big..

Anyway, more on Rare- Vash.. www.spong.com had an interesting article on PD0.. go read it! Yes, now!

Black Ace
08-12-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by AtariX

Retro Studios isn't doing that great either. They were working on three games for the GC, then Nintendo came in and canceled two of the games and laid off a lot of the employees. Retro Studios is now only working on Metroid. What will happen after that? Also, will the remaining employees really put their heart and soul into Metroid, with such an uncertian future.

Nintendo cancelled more than two of Retro Studios's projects;

- Car Combat
- Raven Blade
- NFL Retro Football
- Unnamed First Person Shooter

About 60 people were let go, the company now employed about 40 people.