PDA

View Full Version : Time to snap up game companies??

Kid0_oIcarus
08-08-2002, 01:13 PM
From Gamers.com
Vivendi to Dump Game Business?

By: Christian Nutt August 7, 2002 3:45 PM PDT

Financial news source Bloomberg has reported that Vivendi/Universal is considering getting out of the games business. Their stock price on the French market rose amidst these rumors.
Although they control popular franchises like Crash, Spyro and others, the company as a whole is wallowing in debt. Reports that they're going to cut the games division loose to streamline the company are exciting investors.

Interestingly, fingers are being pointed at Sega as a potential buyer. Rumors recently suggested they were interested in buying Infogrames, who's also in dire financial straits. According to Masato Suzuki, a Sega spokesperson, "We were not even aware Vivendi is selling its game operations. As we've said, it's true we're interested in buying game units in the U.S. and Europe, but we have not yet set any specific targets." Sony and Microsoft offered no insight into the situation either.

Wow.. I wonder if anyone would pick this up? I know Sierra is under Vivendi.. and Blizzard too..

Very interesting...

aneep
08-08-2002, 05:09 PM
Sierra Blizzard and Universal (which hold several film realted licenses)

-aneep-

xXx Beaver xXx
08-09-2002, 07:30 AM
I don't vare about those companies, Naughty Dog did a better job and JAK AND daxter rules.

I hope I didn't go too overboard there.

- Triple X Beaver :spin smil

Vash
08-10-2002, 12:25 AM
Well whoever bids on that will look to make alot of money ... Vivendi's game division brings in about 600 million a yr ...

Hell every game Blizzard has released has sold over a million copies, and Sierra is milking every cent out of the ancient Half-Life engine.

mxgame
08-11-2002, 11:32 AM
The problem is for every Blizzard game they produce you have 10 games from different companies that don't turn a profit. Plus, Blizzard only makes a profit every few years which looks horrible on investor's reports.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-12-2002, 04:32 PM
Yeah- Blizzard does take a long time to get games out.. but they get them right!

Kinda like Nintendo with their big name franchises...

Vash
08-13-2002, 11:49 PM
yea i myself would rather play one GREAT blizzard game a year as opposed to 20 crappy games from EA a yr ... another thing about blizzards games is ... even years after their release they still sell strong ... look at the starcraft bundle ... it still sells amazingly well.

Black Ace
08-15-2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Vash
yea i myself would rather play one GREAT blizzard game a year as opposed to 20 crappy games from EA a yr ... another thing about blizzards games is ... even years after their release they still sell strong ... look at the starcraft bundle ... it still sells amazingly well.

Doesn't matter to EA. EA is the world's largest third party publisher and also the most profitable, they couldn't cared less to what Blizzard does. Their only fear is Sega.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-15-2002, 10:31 AM
Aye, there are many different ways to make money in the world..

Vash
08-15-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Bill

Doesn't matter to EA. EA is the world's largest third party publisher and also the most profitable, they couldn't cared less to what Blizzard does. Their only fear is Sega.

Yea i was just using EA as an example ... i just hope that Microsoft dosent buy them up ... i could see it now

"Starcraft 2 Xbox exclusive!"

uggh *shudder*