PDA

View Full Version : News: European GCN Sales

Black Ace
08-06-2002, 09:09 AM
Cube-Europe.com

Several weeks ago Activision announced in their conference call that Nintendo had sold 800.000 GameCube consoles in Europe. Today we got even better news, this time we have new European sales numbers from the big N themselves! Ok are you ready... Nintendo has sold 1 million Nintendo GameCube consoles in Europe!

That is a whacking great number for a console that has only been on the market for 11 weeks. The Xbox, which has been on the market 8 weeks longer than the GameCube, has sold only 500,000 pieces.

Nintendo's Benelux PR-Manager, Frank Rittinghaus, is very pleased with the sales numbers. This is what he had to say:

"One million pieces in a period of eleven weeks is an exceptionally good showing, but the best is yet to come. At our press event last week (Games Day), you saw for yourselves all that the Nintendo GameCube has to offer in the coming months: Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, Star Fox Advance, Metroid, the Resident Evil series and (my favorite) Zelda. In addition, titles such as Mario Party and Wario add to our offerings, and we have with the WaveBird a very unique controller in our hands! The titles mentioned above can only be played on the GameCube - that seems to me reason enough for consumers to step to the GameCube in the coming months! Life's a game..."

Nindalf
08-06-2002, 09:13 AM
JIPPII! I knew it sold over million copies!and that Xbox sold only half makes it even more sweater!WAY TO GO BIG N!

Kid0_oIcarus
08-06-2002, 09:13 AM
Alright! Great n3ws for Nintendo!

Maybe this will make developers, at least European developers, want to make more games for the GC.

Nindalf
08-06-2002, 09:15 AM
Does anyone know how many copies PS2 sold in 11weeks in europe?

aneep
08-06-2002, 03:15 PM
oh so now we know that Xbox managed to sell 0 units from E3 to August :roll eyes:

nice to see Nintendo reaching 1 million already

NiN

considering PS2 had a better EU launch, i assume that they had reach the 1 million mark faster

-aneep-

Nindalf
08-06-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by aneep

NiN

considering PS2 had a better EU launch, i assume that they had reach the 1 million mark faster

-aneep-

Is that a fact or assuming?;)
(actually i too think PS2 sold more than GC in that time but i just would like to be sure)

Black Ace
08-06-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by NiN

Is that a fact or assuming?;)
(actually i too think PS2 sold more than GC in that time but i just would like to be sure)

I believed the GBA has the biggest opening in Europe. PS2 first week sold 60,000 units in UK, GBA sold 80,000+. Not cultiminating other countries.

xXx Beaver xXx
08-07-2002, 12:49 AM
Good stuff Nintendo! Don't even compare Nintendo with X Box, you will make make Mario sad. :D

The Cube is a much better console than the X Box.
And the PS2 is better yet! ;)

- Triple X Beaver :spin smil

ATMA
08-07-2002, 09:42 AM
I'm not surprised,I knew the Cube will perform great here in Europe and i think it will continue to go upwards for the Cube!
keep up the good job Big N !

Vash
08-10-2002, 01:40 AM
PS2 might have hit that number earlier but im pretty sure they were still having shortage problems ... for a while they werent shipping nearly enough units to meet the worldwide demand ... but i could be wrong.???