PDA

View Full Version : How do I play import games on PS2?

gopheraaron
04-20-2002, 11:05 AM
hi there,
I am sure that you have been asked thousands of times, but how can I play import(jap) games on my US PS2? MY PS2 model is SCPH-30001.

Black Ace
04-20-2002, 11:08 AM
I think you need a mod chip to play them.

gopheraaron
04-20-2002, 12:57 PM
any ideals where I could get one?
or is there any kind of boot disc which let me swap disk? since I have been doing that on my Dreamcast.

Pexi
04-20-2002, 08:46 PM
There is no "boot disc" for the PS2 which enables to play import games. The only solution is to get a "Messiah" -chip. The Messiah-chip boots EVERY games put into PS2:D

Messiah only supports NTCS V4 mainboards and all PAL mainboards.

Have to admit Messiah is worth every penny. Most of my games are imports, mostly US. I Didn?t have to wait for FFX for 6 months;)

check this site for more information:

www.ps2covers.nu

Hope this helps:)

DRIFT GOD
01-21-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Pexi
There is no "boot disc" for the PS2 which enables to play import games.

i have the SWAP MAGIC 3 BOOT DISCS and i play GT CONCEPT {PAL} and GT4 PROLOGUE {JAP} just fine, no MOD CHIP needed.

ChaosX721
01-21-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Pexi
There is no "boot disc" for the PS2 which enables to play import games.
Wow need to recheck that cuz their is a boot disk for the PS2 called the Swap Magic Go here (http://www.google.com/) to check out about mod chips and Boot disk

Seska
01-21-2004, 05:31 AM
Sigh, guys, talk about modchips all you like, but PLEASE dont link to sites that sell them.

Alucard
01-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Swap magic my arse. Theres no chance in hell that thing is 100% effective, IF it works, compared to a mod chip.

fut0n
01-21-2004, 10:54 AM
swap magic works great..

gots; MS3, Naruto: NH and SvC:Chaos. All work great.

ChaosX721
01-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Seska
Sigh, guys, talk about modchips all you like, but PLEASE dont link to sites that sell them.

Im sorry didnt know, wont do it again. Ill beat my self for that one *SMACK!!* :crying: ok much better i learned my lesson.

Seska
01-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Actually it seems swap magic DOES work, but you need a no-solder modchip to clip on a ribbon in the inside of your PS2. So you still need to open your ps2 (and void its warranty) not to mention you need to buy the no-solder chip AND swap magic 3. But its probably the best option for those who can order through the net and dont have someone near them to isntall a messiah or whatever.

ChaosX721
01-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Seska
So you still need to open your ps2 (and void its warranty)
Thats not a problem for me i already open my PS2 and void my warranty. O yeah and i almost broke my PS2 when i opened it really funny but had to get all the way in it to fix it really fun. So i can put in a mod chip if i really wanted to.

Alucard
01-21-2004, 01:54 PM
Hah, so I was right about the swap disc being dodgy. You need to use another thing with it to make it work. How come none of you lot who had it mentioned this dodgy appendage!!

ChaosX721
01-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Alucard
Hah, so I was right about the swap disc being dodgy. You need to use another thing with it to make it work. How come none of you lot who had it mentioned this dodgy appendage!!
Yeah u got to use this thing that makes the tray come out with out pressing eject.its kind of hard at first to use but after a while u get use to it and it take like 20 sec.

Dreamkin
01-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Someone had a Messiah 2 chip. Someone... Not me. Because Messiah is technically illegal... Anyway... That someone who had a Messiah chip never experienced any troubles. Someone... Not Me..

Dreamkin is listening to Elvis Presley - "King Creole"

DRIFT GOD
01-21-2004, 08:18 PM
can i post a video that shows you how the "DISC SWAP" trick works?

ChaosX721
01-21-2004, 09:04 PM
umm i wouldnt *say very quite away from Seska ears* Seska might get a lil mad so just pm it to someone who wants it. like me if u have the time or if u even want to thanks

DRIFT GOD
01-21-2004, 11:57 PM
thats why i asked, i just registered yesterday and after posting twice i noticed the comments from the moderators, 1st of all why would it matter if somebody posted a site that sells something??? and 2nd why is a moderator that obviously doesnt know a thing about "SWAP DISCS" making coments??? as an ADMINISTRATOR of 4 well known GT websites, MODERATOR of 6 websites, and a MEMBER of countless sites, i would have to say im offended, i have been visiting this site for info for a long time, but after seeing how poorly the "STAFF" handels things makes me question MAGICBOX's credability, ban me if you want to, but if you do you will not only loose a loyal customer, you will also loose a powerful friend.

Alucard, your sig says it all:
Agree with me or I'll BAN you!! being a MOD/ADMINISTRATOR is a privlage dont abuse it ;}

Alucard
01-22-2004, 01:18 AM
Come on Drift God, my sig is purely an amusement item and ALOT of people know this. You should see the amount of people who disagree, nay, HATE me! And being a mod at 50 different boards dont make you smarter. Thats like saying my dad is smarter then me cause he's older. Far from it. Seska was refering to piracy when he said not to post links like that. However, a clip that shows how it works seems fine by me as alot of us who import games would definately be interested if its easy to install, etc etc.

Seska and I both have modded systems for importing. Seska more so since the BASTARD is fluent in japanese and grabs games from there that we never get.

Again, as for my sig....if you've been here as long as you say you have then you would know its a joke. If this place was run poorly then you'd see people going at the mods throats. Rarely do threads get locked or people banned. I usually flitter away from a board after 6-12 months, whether I'm a mod or not. I get tired easily of the same old same old. This is the only place I've actaully felt like staying because it amuses me so it can't be all that bad.

Anyway I dont need to defend myself. If there were problems here then we'd just step aside and toss it to someone else to mod. Dont think you're 'special' because you're a mod. You're just like anyone else. We dont get paid. We dont get a special certificate for each year we mod here saying ' YOU ARE TEH BEST EVAAAR' blahblahblah etc etc I'm thirsty now.

ChaosX721
01-22-2004, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Alucard
Come on Drift God, my sig is purely an amusement item and ALOT of people know this. You should see the amount of people who disagree, nay, HATE me! And being a mod at 50 different boards dont make you smarter. Thats like saying my dad is smarter then me cause he's older. Far from it. Seska was refering to piracy when he said not to post links like that. However, a clip that shows how it works seems fine by me as alot of us who import games would definately be interested if its easy to install, etc etc.

Seska and I both have modded systems for importing. Seska more so since the BASTARD is fluent in japanese and grabs games from there that we never get.

Again, as for my sig....if you've been here as long as you say you have then you would know its a joke. If this place was run poorly then you'd see people going at the mods throats. Rarely do threads get locked or people banned. Anyway I dont need to defend myself. If there were problems here then we'd just step aside and toss it to someone else to mod. Dont think you're 'special' because you're a mod. You're just like anyone else. We dont get paid. We dont get a special certificate for each year we mod here saying ' YOU ARE TEH BEST EVAAAR' blahblahblah etc etc I'm thirsty now.

WOW Alucard learn something about u everyday :bigsmile:
But anyways i was trying to be funny about what i said so i guess i wasnt :( o well.

Alucard
01-22-2004, 01:26 AM
Nah its ok I could see the little smile at the end so I know you weren't being totally serious. But I just wanted to make sure incase anyone reading it wasn't entirely aware its a joke since they're new or something.

......ok now I'm confused. Who am I talking to and why am I still thirsty!

SpaceManSpiff
01-22-2004, 01:34 AM
HAHAHAHAHAaa...funny stuff.:haha:

Anyways, Drift, could you post that video pr PM it to me plz.:)

Thanks.

DRIFT GOD
01-22-2004, 03:13 AM
SLIDE TRICK (http://www.tangosgtsite.com/slidetrick.mpg)

here are some GT4P videos

DG HONDA HSC @ TSUKUBA CIRCUIT (http://www.tangosgtsite.com/dgwiththehondahsc.mpg)
DG TRIAL CELICA SS II @ CITTA DI ARIA (http://www.tangosgtsite.com/DGcelicaGT4P.mpg)

GTC video

DG GTC SKYLINE PACE CAR (http://www.tangosgtsite.com/DGSKYLINEDRIFT.mpg )

i also have 2 GT3 DRIFT videos on this site. {look for DRIFT GOD}

GT3 VIDEOS (http://www.gtplanet.net/article25.html)

Alucard
01-22-2004, 03:31 AM
Wait... so this is the old knife trick? This aint new. Besides isn't it spinning while you're pulling the tray out? If it is then thats damaging the system and the alignment of the laser, not to mention the tray. After a while the system is gonna be glitchy. I'll stick to the modding technique.

GodOfCookery
01-22-2004, 05:16 AM
Ahh the good old swiss army knife trick, its crap, one bad move and you're drive is dead like meat.

Seska
01-22-2004, 07:14 AM
Thres a couple of ways to eject the tray while the disc is still spinning. Call it Cog/Card/Knife trick, its all the same. And all of them will wreck your lens, FAST. Its bad enough that over normal use time the ps2 Lens gets rattles out of alignment on its own (hence why PS2s break down so often) but using this "trick" will kill it way faster.

The No solder chip is probably your best alternative. You just clip it to some ribbon (I think its the dvd ribbon that links the unit to the PS2 mainboard) and youa re done. Add Magic Swap to that, and Bob's your uncle. No more waiting 6 months for PAL releases. :p

Dreamkin
01-22-2004, 09:02 AM
As someone ... someone who knows someone... who earns money from modding PS2s I would not recommend swapdisc thingies really. Back then when Messiah was not around it was cool (for piracy guys... not me... Arr!! ahem.. sorry.. Kinda reflex.)
The whole knife stuff kicks the lenses ass justlike Seska points out. However there is a way to change your PS2 case into "fliptop" one just like the PSone. This way you can still open the top without any knife trick. You CAN. I don't. It is piracy. Sony has won the lawsuit in UK and it is now illegal. So don't do it. If you don't wanna do it I DON'T recommend you NOT to do it with Messiah preferably. Hmmm. There is a logical loop somewhere up there.

Plus. Alucard sometimes says BANNED!!! even as a message. Relax. He might be a little too excited about Konami but he is good half vampire. Plus my sig is BIBO ERGO SVM... That is a glorifying of alcoholism. Sue me!

ARR... SHIVER ME TIMBERS!!!

Dreamkin is listening to Great Big Sea - "Drunken Sailor"