PDA

View Full Version : Square's E3 line up.

DarknessTearv2
05-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Delivered via their official website and snatched up by shrewd 'Net-surfers everywhere mere seconds theireafter, Square Enix has finally revealed the full lineup of games and other media that they will be showcasing at E3 this year. The lineup includes everything Square Enix fans have expected up to this point, but also a couple surprises to keep us on our toes. There may yet be more that the company is waiting to unveil until the show opens - they have a history of doing that - but no one can really be sure until E3 opens.

But enough of my rambling - I'm fully aware that all you really want to see is "The List," so without further ado, Square Enix's lineup for E3 2004:

PlayStation 2

? Front Mission 4
? Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (with Director's Cut extras/features!)
? Fullmetal Alchemist
? Final Fantasy XII
? Kingdom Hearts II

Game Boy Advance

? Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories

? Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia (FF XI expansion pack)

Misc.

? Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mobile Entertainment:

? Final Fantasy
? Dragon Quest
? Before Crisis - Final Fantasy VII

Well, I know I'm excited. I have to say, though, that I am extremely saddened by the lack of an announcement of a Chrono sequel. :( I wasn't expecting one, and I'm still holding out for the (very tiny) possibility of one, but... why, Square, must you toy with my emotions like this?

In any case, the above is quite an impressively diverse lineup for Square, and at the same time there are a lot of strong, big-name games in this list. Obviously, what most of you are wondering right about now is just what this "Before Crisis - Final Fantasy VII" thing is, and I'm wondering too. All I can say is we won't know for sure until the show doors open.

Stay tuned - we'll be bringing you much more just as soon as the show opens!

My source: Games Are Fun (http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=853)

Games Are Fun's Source: Gameforms (http://www.gameforms.com)

Well that's interesting kinda.. a mobile phone FF7 prequel? Geh, what's with their ideas? I don't know if I'd exactly call that innovative... the good news is, Full Metal Alchemist! That's my favorite anime series so seeing the game coming here makes me really happy. I hope they keep Japanese voices though.

IoriYagami n8
05-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by DarknessTearv2
My source: Games Are Fun (http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=853)

Games Are Fun's Source: Gameforms (http://www.gameforms.com)

Well that's interesting kinda.. a mobile phone FF7 prequel? Geh, what's with their ideas? I don't know if I'd exactly call that innovative...

http://www.ocado.com/catalog/images-full/15722011_L.jpg
Does a body good.

Then again, sounds questionable.

Decado
05-05-2004, 12:02 AM
I think IGN has this on their page, too.

That said, FMA is the only semi-surprise there that actually means anything (even then not much), IMO.

The biggest news there is what's missing, IMO. No DQ5 or DQ8, FMO, Junk Metal, nothing new, no Ambrosia Odyssey.

Nyceane
05-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Square claimed that they will have more titles than any other company this year...

expect to see more, FF XII should be one of them, and DW8

Decado
05-05-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Nyceane
Square claimed that they will have more titles than any other company this year...

expect to see more, FF XII should be one of them, and DW8 FFXII is listed there.

Anyway, that's a load of BS. There's no way they can possibly have more games there than companies like EA.

Renegade X
05-05-2004, 12:20 AM
Theres only one problem with this list... FFXII is up there and DW8 isn't and Square has gone on record as saying that DW8 will be out before FFXII is so you never know, this might be what their highlighting at this years E3. Because if I don't see some DW8 there, Square.... Enix.... will..... DIE!!!

DarknessTearv2
05-05-2004, 12:25 AM
FFXII is planned to come out Christmas 05 so erm.. that's a while away.

Nyceane
05-05-2004, 12:46 AM
its not square anymore, its square-enix =)

they have MMORPGs for china that they can come up with on E3, they did claim they are going to have more games than any other company did in the history

Decado
05-05-2004, 12:50 AM
:lol:

I think EA's sports lineup could match S-E's entire lineup, Chinese MMORPG or no.

Renegade X
05-05-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Decado

I think EA's sports lineup could match S-E's entire lineup, Chinese MMORPG or no.

EA's Historical War Based lineupcould match Any developers entire line up.... doesn't mean their gonna be good games though.

Decado
05-05-2004, 01:27 AM
Yeah, but we're just talking about the # of games.

GodOfCookery
05-05-2004, 04:31 AM
And it doesn't mean that Square' games are gonna be good games either.

DarknessTearv2
05-05-2004, 04:54 AM
There's a certain degree of quality that you can expect from them and people know that. Well, other than the Final Fantasy series, but I have hope for FFXII.

GodOfCookery
05-06-2004, 05:18 AM
I just say *cough* The Bouncer *cough* *cough*

Escaflowne2001
05-06-2004, 06:00 AM
True but then Fighter genre doesn't seem to be for them, though it wasn't actually developed by Squaresoft.

GodOfCookery
05-07-2004, 04:33 AM
Oh there are many more examples like:

*Cough* Unlimted Saga, Legend of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Mario RPG *cough* If there wouldn't be the FF franchise Square would probably be bancrupt by now.

Escaflowne2001
05-07-2004, 07:47 AM
Mario RPG and the Secret Of Evermore were both pretty good though, Unlimited Saga was just bizarre but very mind numbing.

REDFlELD
05-07-2004, 09:52 AM
I'll assure you Front Mission 4 is going to be a hit title. I played abit of the Japanese version.. so far I'm impressed, if you like FM3 for the PSone then you'll love this even more.

I'm hoping FFVII2 will be out for the PSP system..

Investor27
05-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Escaflowne2001
True but then Fighter genre doesn't seem to be for them, though it wasn't actually developed by Squaresoft.

The Bouncer was developed by either an American or British studio. I remember reading somewhere how they had complained that Squaresoft ruined their game by making them implement some role-playing mechanisms like experience points and such. What a bunch of whiners, I say!?! That game was just plain bad.

Renegade X
05-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by REDFlELD
I'll assure you Front Mission 4 is going to be a hit title. I played abit of the Japanese version.. so far I'm impressed, if you like FM3 for the PSone then you'll love this even more.

I'm hoping FFVII2 will be out for the PSP system..

Theres just one problem Redfield... Front Mission has NEVER been what the US would consider a hit title... I'll agree that it's a great and beautiful Stradegy RPG, but I doubt anybody who isn't a fan of the series already will buy it.

Escaflowne2001
05-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by alexhho
The Bouncer was developed by either an American or British studio. I remember reading somewhere how they had complained that Squaresoft ruined their game by making them implement some role-playing mechanisms like experience points and such. What a bunch of whiners, I say!?! That game was just plain bad.

Yeah I can't remember there names but it's the same people who have made Crimson Tears for Capcom.

Investor27
05-07-2004, 04:56 PM
You mean to tell me that Crimson Tears was made in the US? That's is a little disconcerting to me. :mad:

Escaflowne2001
05-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Apprantly the company is called "DreamFactory" I looked it up they made Tobel No.1 and Ehrgeiz aswell.

Sammythy
05-07-2004, 06:59 PM
I am almost 100% certain DreamFactory are Japanese.

I liked Vagrant Story, Secret of Mana and Chronotrigger from Square, along with a few of the Final Fantasy games.

They have not really been too consistent in recent years. They would appeal to me more if they branched out a bit, tried out some new franchises. People become apathetic when they see familiar titles pumped out every couple of years, regardless of their quality. The Enix merger has not really changed things that much.

That list left me cold.

GodOfCookery
05-10-2004, 04:25 AM
Me too

ATMA
05-10-2004, 02:39 PM
I'm just happy that (finally) we will be getting Star Ocean 3 DC.

sharky
05-10-2004, 02:51 PM
pfft Square dont even make good RPG's anymore let alone the fact there Milking
like mad.

ATMA
05-10-2004, 02:52 PM
Luckaly Star Ocean 3 comes from the Enix part of the Square-Enix. ;)

Investor27
05-10-2004, 03:33 PM
Star Ocean 3 has been on my high priority, must-have list for a while now, and I'm glad it's coming. I'm still expecting at least one hugh, colossal game from the jointly named Square Enix and their collaboration efforts. I have yet to see anything exciting from these two mega rpg companies, and I sincerely hope that one of their products will return them back to the old days of great rpgs. But may be FFXII and DQ VIII will be those games that will return them to greatness.

Decado
05-10-2004, 04:05 PM
SO3 has been around for sooooooo long. Looks kinda out-dated now, but you can still tell it's a big budget RPG.

Now that Atlus is going to release some niche RPGs this year, I'll probably end up skipping SO3 (waiting until 2005 sometime).

Renegade X
05-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Don't get too excited, I just got a email today that informed me that the projected ship date of SO3 had been changed ::falls over:: It's projected to ship late August, but I hope by the end of E3 this week Square-Enix will solidify the ship date.

ATMA
05-11-2004, 02:44 AM
Did it had a shipping date? I thought it was till now Q4 2004? Late August doesn't sound that bad now. I can't be playing SO 3 and Tales of Symphonia at the same time.

Freeman
05-11-2004, 03:28 AM
What, no FF remake?
Thanks for the list :).