PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Making The Same Mistakes?

DBJAY
07-30-2002, 04:30 PM
Check out this article about this author's view of Nintendo in the Gamecube generation:

http://xengamers.com/sections/columns/8129/1

Black Sugar
07-30-2002, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I read the article yesterday. To tell you the truth I think this guy wass pretty accurate on all the points he mention.

If Nintendo still believe that they can compete the industry alone and sorely based theirs hopes on the Pokemon franchise and GBA, they'll fall on day or later.

People changes Nintendo

We call that "E V O L U T I O N"

Try it, this ain't that bad !

CodeNameRaiden
07-31-2002, 01:14 AM
I read that too. I agree to some extent. Nintendo is trying to rebuild. Like what a bad football team does. Nintendo still has a long way to go. 7 years ago Nintendo dominated. Now its their turn to be on the bottom.

xXx Beaver xXx
07-31-2002, 06:45 AM
that link is so informational, i didnt know subway had less fat than mcdonalds! :P

Nintendo should follow suit.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

- Triple X Beaver :spin smil

Kid0_oIcarus
07-31-2002, 09:06 AM
Yeah, the guy did raise a lot of points. But if everyone else can see this- shouldn't Nintendo realize this by now? It boggles the mind that they wouldn't. It's all those damn zombies' fault? Something's up- I can smell the 3vil. Ph34r.

There's recently been a change of command at the helm of Nintendo- some say the dark emperor still controls things from afar, though. Wh4t d03s th1s 4ll m34n!?

aneep
07-31-2002, 04:07 PM
first thing first

drop the leet speak Kid icarus, u're causing me a headache ;)

about the article, yeah they may seems to not have much 3rd party support (compared to the other 2 console), but IMO Nintendo don't really need them

they are not trying to be the biggest company with the biggest userbase, but they are trying to make the most profit (remember this is IMO, so YMMV :))

i think from several of their action ppl should realise that by now
1)GC design was mostly made with cost in mind, not performance, they could have gone with a higher performance design but didn't because of cost
Nintendo lose the least amount of money per machine compared to PS2 and Xbox at launch
2)launch (in Japan) with 2 1st party titles and 1 3rd party
why? ppl can only chose from those and the result is the ratio of Luigi mansion to GC sold at launch was almost 1:1 (1st party brings more profit)
they didn't wait for 3rd party software providers to ready their games, they went into launch alone to rake the profit
3)GBA design also had cost in mind instead of performance, in fact Nintendo profit from every GBA sold (the hw itself) instead of losing money on hw like traditional console makers
4)hehe the schedule for 1st party lineup (in US), look at it and learn how to launch your product at the optimum time to make the most profit (compare this to Sony and MS which release many more 1st party titles spread throughout the year, many of those did not really sells that well)

Nintendo is the most profitable games software makers if i remember correctly(in Japan), (not sure about worldwide, is it bigger than EA?)

and they will retain that title in this gen also IMO

-aneep-

Kid0_oIcarus
07-31-2002, 04:17 PM
:irked" (Ye4h, y3ah - I'll tone the l33tness d0wn some for you all :D Doesn't m4ke much sense to post if nob0dy reads your p0sts! ;) )

j00're right. Nintendo, doesn't seem to be g0ing for the crown. Th3y just want to expand th3ir userb4se, but n0t at the expense of their b0ttom line.

B4h, I just want to pl4y some g00d games.

FumieHosokawa
07-31-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by CodeNameRaiden
7 years ago Nintendo dominated. Now its their turn to be on the bottom.

On the bottom? Beneath whom (plural)?

CodeNameRaiden
07-31-2002, 11:09 PM
Beneath Sony of course and shamefully neck to neck with the XBox.

baratus
08-01-2002, 12:31 AM
Beneath Sony of course and shamefully neck to neck with the XBox.

Sony has already got inside the head of millions of gamers, just because most of them are inmature morons who think that by playing games saturated with violence and foul language will made them feel like adults. Nintendo may never again take the crown that once belonged to them in the gaming world because Sony already has it for the aforementioned reasons, but being at the same level as XBox is now is the most crazy thing I've heard in years.

Necro ??
08-01-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by baratus
Sony has already got inside the head of millions of gamers, just because most of them are inmature morons who think that by playing games saturated with violence and foul language will made them feel like adults.

No Sony is ahead cuzz they offer any type of gamer of any age.Personaly i dont see the fun in picking up oil and help keeping a town clean just so you can see the "sunshine" or whatever. The only real game nintendo has to offer to me Is metriod prime but im not going to spend $200 just so i can play one game*looks at N64*

Before you bring up resident evil forget it,I dont care i played it 5 years ago along with its many other "remakes" this one looks pretty but same with metriod im not going to pay $200 for a system and a game just so i can play the same thing but it only looks fancey.

And when GBA offers more than games i already own on snes ill think about getting one.

Bookbagninja
08-01-2002, 01:23 AM
Necro makes some darn good points, guys. I read the article, too, and it's pretty much on target. I still don't give a freak about online play cause it's way too much money, but I do think Nintendo needs to get more games out there, and games that people other than me want to play. Me personally, will be happy to have Zelda, F-Zero and Metroid. I know I probably won't be seeing any other hotter titles on the GC, but hey, I knew what I was getting into when I first got it.

Sony does make games for every age group. Heck, they was even promoting Lilo and Stitch on TV. So, they know how to treat their customers, simple as that. Nintendo still thinks people will go for quality over quanity. Yeah, sure, for the hardcore user base, which is about 15% of the gamer population. They need more games in general. People will simply buy one system over another if the sales man say that this system has 150 games out for it and this one only has 50. They think they have more selection.

I'm even thinking about getting me an X-Box now. I kinda know Microsoft is gonna succeed cause they're making all the right moves and getting alot of people to make games for them. GAMES, which is what this business is all about. I want Panzer, and Crazy Taxi 3 especially. I REALLY do. So, I could find myself with an X-Box pretty soon. The X-Box to me is what the DC was a few years back, but it's just being noticed.

Well, my tired rant is over, for now anyway.

baratus
08-01-2002, 04:31 AM
Nintendo still thinks people will go for quality over quanity. Yeah, sure, for the hardcore user base, which is about 15% of the gamer population. They need more games in general. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well you can include me in that 15%. Why would I want a console that has hundreds of games with good graphics, but unlike Nintendo's titles, bad control, terrible camera control and short length dominates overall? $ony and Micro$oft may have the power over the best game development companies such as Capcom, Konami or Namco (and Rare if they fall in their clutches) but personally I think their best games are already too exploited, no matter how many units they sold out of them. Franchises like Metal G. Solid, Final Fantasy, Megaman X and Resident Evil always get a sequel after a year or a few months, with the same camera and control most of them, and nothing that innovates the genre. I certainly would like the Gamecube with a few more non-Nintendo games but if they go rushing with their best titles they probably would spoil them all, such as the others I mentioned.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-01-2002, 08:06 AM
3xactly, my man! Quality over quan7ity I say!

Nintendo makes games for 4ll age groups as well, Necro. Their games are targetted at wh0ever is willing to l0ok past the cu7e graphics to p1ck up and play a qu4lity game.

ED1T: Check it- xengamers.com has got a speci4l edition of their letters c0lumn for a f3w of the m4ny letters they've rec3ived for their c0lumn. Som3 very good points raised.

As 0verlord says: Y0ur Though7s? :D

CodeNameRaiden
08-01-2002, 01:12 PM
The PS2 is just a better machine than the GameCube. Violent games doesn't have nothing to do with it. The GameCube has violent games so your statement is pointless. Nintendo just doesn't know how to market against Sony. That's why they don't even bother.

Bookbagninja
08-01-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Bookbagninja
Nintendo still thinks people will go for quality over quanity. Yeah, sure, for the hardcore user base, which is about 15% of the gamer population. They need more games in general. People will simply buy one system over another if the sales man say that this system has 150 games out for it and this one only has 50. They think they have more selection.

You forgot to quote the rest of the comment. The hardcore user base can't support Nintendo alone, is what I'm saying. They need all those casual gamers who walk in a store and see the PS2 side with 160 titles and then look at the GC and see only about 50. They'll look right back at the PS2 cause they think this system is doing better cause they have a better selection.

Anyway, I don't know where this whole quality over quanitiy came from from Nintendo. SNES had about 800 games on it. Yeah, about 500 of them were stinkers, but when people saw that that system had a lot more games for it, they went and got it.

Sure, Nintendo should def. continue to make quality games on theirown, but make the system more appealing to other dev. so they can make games on it too, whether the games are hot or not.

Does THIS make sense now? :p

Black Sugar
08-01-2002, 08:43 PM
Three weeks ago , five Microsoft programmers (from Redmond) came at UbiSoft Montreal to give theirs full support on the Splinter Cell developement. Not to mention the promise from Microsoft to help us for the advertising and the financement for the game.

What i'm seeing here is; Nintendo still doesn't feel that they need to go up to third-parties and ask them to make games for their console, cause they still believe that they're the sh*t. But this ain't truth anymore.

With Microsoft and Sony doing everything to feel third-parties right at home Nintendo need to wake up and see that theses two competitors are here to stay.

CodeNameRaiden
08-01-2002, 09:19 PM
That's why Nintendo is Nintendo. Super Mario Sunshine is selling well so I think Nintendo is pretty damn happy right now.

WINDJAMMERS
08-02-2002, 09:19 PM
The PS2 is just a better machine than the GameCube. Violent games doesn't have nothing to do with it. The GameCube has violent games so your statement is pointless. Nintendo just doesn't know how to market against Sony. That's why they don't even bother.

How does marketing make the PS2 a "better machine" than Gamecube? Gamecube does have it's share of violent games, but all of them are in good taste. Can you say State of Emergency?

The article does raise some good points, but parts of the logic is flawed. The article says that Nintendo scared away developers from the N64 with the cart, which is entirely true. I fail to see how this is a reaccuring problem. Are develops scared of the anti-piracy minidisc?

As for Pokemon, they will keep selling them if people keep buying them. Even if most younger fans move on, some keep with the series and the members Pokemon target audience is in constant state of renewal.

Developers are just starting to warm up to Nintendo after years of giving them the cold shoulder, so get off Nintendo's ****ing case.

Necro ??
08-02-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by WINDJAMMERS
Are develops scared of the anti-piracy minidisc?

Correction.Gamecube has been cracked and its not that hard.All you need is a mod chip and a blank cd. you can burn the games on a normal cd and remove the caseing from your gamecube and vola nintendo just lost $50 No mini disk required.

As for mario sunshine,this is a no dur.Nintendo could slap Mario on a game they didnt even make*coughmario2cough* and could sell a copy to everyone who owns a gamecube,much like how sega could do the same with sonic. face facts Sony is on top (over 30 million served world wide) and they dont need a cheesey mascot to sell copys and systems. :D

Bookbagninja
08-02-2002, 10:10 PM

Developers are just starting to warm up to Nintendo after years of giving them the cold shoulder, so get off Nintendo's ****ing case.

A year ago, I would have argued that point, but with the list of games that are coming out for the system, they are actually warming up.

Nintendo got the whole marketing thing down pretty well in regards to TV commercials (remember the cube?), but they need more games, which it looks like they're getting done with now. By the end of the year, they should be up there again.

FumieHosokawa
08-03-2002, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Necro ??
Nintendo could slap Mario on a game they didnt even make*coughmario2cough* and could sell a copy to everyone who owns a gamecube,much like how sega could do the same with sonic. face facts Sony is on top (over 30 million served world wide) and they dont need a cheesey mascot to sell copys and systems. :D

Super Mario 2? When was this, three generations ago?

And if Sega could do the same with Sonic, why did they exit the console business? You're comparing the Dreamcast user base (who couldn't keep that from happening) to Nintendo's?

No one disputesSony is on top, in numbers. But to count Nintendo out completely, that's just wishful thinking for Xbox fanboys.

Nindalf
08-03-2002, 05:02 AM
Windjammers and Fumiehosakawa are exactly right!:cool guy:
sale figures dont make consoles better...PS2 is in he top for one reason it has 1years headstart and LOADS of crappy games...(some are good games like MGS2,GTA3,FFs...) but most are made in rush and they dont use PS2s powers to make good and better graphic.
:crazy:

WINDJAMMERS
08-03-2002, 12:51 PM

Correction.Gamecube has been cracked and its not that hard.All you need is a mod chip and a blank cd. you can burn the games on a normal cd and remove the caseing from your gamecube and vola nintendo just lost $50 No mini disk required.

As for mario sunshine,this is a no dur.Nintendo could slap Mario on a game they didnt even make*coughmario2cough* and could sell a copy to everyone who owns a gamecube,much like how sega could do the same with sonic. face facts Sony is on top (over 30 million served world wide) and they dont need a cheesey mascot to sell copys and systems. :D

Counter-points:
1. You can't fit a GC game on normal CD.
2. They isn't anywhere on the net to download the games.

As for Mario, people would still buy his games even if Nintendo made Mario a full-time plumber, fixing ****. It doesn't really matter where they put him. It will still sell millions.

And while we are on the subject of cheesy mascots, I think I should bring up Jak and Daxter.

Black Ace
08-03-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Black Bahamut
Three weeks ago , five Microsoft programmers (from Redmond) came at UbiSoft Montreal to give theirs full support on the Splinter Cell developement. Not to mention the promise from Microsoft to help us for the advertising and the financement for the game.

What i'm seeing here is; Nintendo still doesn't feel that they need to go up to third-parties and ask them to make games for their console, cause they still believe that they're the sh*t. But this ain't truth anymore.

With Microsoft and Sony doing everything to feel third-parties right at home Nintendo need to wake up and see that theses two competitors are here to stay.

Have you heard of "Fund Q"? Its 150 million dollars form Nintendo's former president that funds third party developer who is interest in developing games that uses synchonization between Game Boy Advance and GameCube. Square is one of the Fund Q customer.

Nindalf
08-03-2002, 01:06 PM
And while we are on the subject of cheesy mascots, I think I should bring up Jak and Daxter.

And Chrash Bandicoot(not sure how you wite it but you know who im talking about)

And Nintendo would be stupid if they wouldn?t make Mario games as long as they sell!

(alltough i think Chrash also has made to X-Box but it is still sonys un-official mascot)

Black Ace
08-03-2002, 01:13 PM

The GameCube Optical Disc is made by Pannasonic, used exclusively for the GameCube. The GameCube laser only read this type of disc. You can find mini disc in stores, but do they store 1.58 gigabytes of data like the G.O.D does? These mini disc aren't comparitible with the GC media. GameCube disc data are encrypted and scramble throughout the G.O.D, and the GameCube disc spins backward, and the laser only read and recognize its own media.

Sure one day hacker will find a way to by pass it, but when you said, "not that hard.All you need is a mod chip and a blank cd.", you are wrong.

Necro ??
08-03-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Sure one day hacker will find a way to by pass it, but when you said, "not that hard.All you need is a mod chip and a blank cd.", you are wrong.

Im never wrong when it comes to video gameing.

http://image.lik-sang.com/content/cubehack/gc.avi
http://image.lik-sang.com/content/cubehack/geinkiu_rompia.wmv
http://image.lik-sang.com/content/cubehack/BMM_GC_HACK.WMV

Nindalf
08-03-2002, 02:40 PM
hey man...everyone is wrong sometimes...even you about video gameing:D

Bookbagninja
08-03-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by NiN
hey man...everyone is wrong sometimes...even you about video gameing:D

Now, now, leave his typo alone. :rolleyes:

Necro ??
08-04-2002, 04:58 AM
Oh im sorry. i guess i made the videos just to show i was right about how gamecubes "solid proof anti-piracy" hasnt happened yet.

Jak and daxter is not Sony's mascot,its just a game thats a PS2 only game like so many other nintendo and x-box games.Crash has been on x-box and gba.So if he is sony "un-official" why would his games be on the competion's systems? it really makes no sence.

And as i stated before Sony is on top for the sole reason they offer games to everyone of every age,As where x-box and nintendo go for one user base.Devlopers want to make games for the system that has the better sales,and PS2 is on top of that.
Im not saying Nintendo is bad but for gamers like me and my friends we dont want to play mario,lugi,pikmen or any other little kiddie games nintendo has to offer. As a resident evil fan myself I personaly dont want to play it over again im ready to move on and RE zero is not where i want to go.

As for the dreamcast usebase this really doesnt need much debate. Sega screwed up on a good system and in the end gave up.Ive been a sega fan since sega gen,and im not bitter about them leaveing the console market(unlike alot of DC fan base ive seen) it was for the best.

You may not enjoy my views on gameiing,but guess what thats life for you. not everyone can be drones for mario.

Bookbagninja
08-04-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by NiN
but there is somethings about video games that you dont know about(unless you are some 40year old virgin who leaves from his computer and consoles only for to get some snack like pizza or burgers)

First off, NiN, do NOT start flaming people for no reason. I really don't want this thread to be locked cause some silly kid feels like flamin' someone. In all my time here at MagicBox's forums, I only saw a thread locked once. People usually have intelligent things to say here, and if not, they don't reply, so leave the bashing alone.

Second, you said that there was something about video games that he doesn't know about. So, what is it? Did you forget to bring it up cause you was too busy bashing him? Please, again, leave the bashin and flamin' on some other forum.

Now, back on topic, I hear what Necro is saying. Fer real, fer real, the casual gamer (which is still pretty high in the percentage rating) doesn't really care if the graphics aren't that pretty or if the sound isn't that hot. Do you know how many people that I know who have a PS2 brought that Crazy Taxi Simpsons rip off? Out of my four friends, three have it, just cause. They're happy with the graphics being so-so and the voices being repeated over and over again cause they just wanna have some quick fun.

Until people become pretty serious about video games, they could care less if IGN ranked the graphics a 7, saying they're "outdated", only knowing that to them, that game is fun.

Once again, N needs the games, the sheer number to propel them up there once more. Mascots are great, sure, and what make some people buy a system. I'm gonna be honest and say that the only reason I brought a GC is because I heard F-Zero was coming out. That and the fact that the new Zelda looks REALLY nice. Other than that, I wasn't looking forward to any other game. Most people probably felt that way, too. But now that more games are coming out, people are gonna look to the Big N's way again.

Seriously, now it's all about exclusives, because if the main third party companies release their games multi-platform, including Nintendo, then the people are gonna see the games are virtually the same and the big deciding factor is if they wanna play Crazy Taxi 3 (X-Box), Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2) or Zelda (GC, of course.) I still think in a year, things will be looking pretty cool.

Nindalf
08-04-2002, 01:21 PM
Fine i dont either want to see this thread be lock so i deleted my post(but i still think nobody knows everything about games)

and sorry if someone was offended this wont happen again

Black Ace
08-04-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by NiN
Fine i dont either want to see this thread be lock so i deleted my post(but i still think nobody knows everything about games)

First off, this is one of the best threads on Magic Box, and the level of quality is high -- so it won't be locked. You are free to say what you feel and think just as long as you do not attack and harass other forum members. If you have a response to another post, do it accordingly -- just don't go on a flame bait and uses profanity.

ATMA
08-04-2002, 03:17 PM
Well no matter what i'm sure the big N will come out of it unharm! No matter what there still will be a large group of people to support the Cube i don't see anything to worry about the way Nintendo is going! So pleas gamers no need to make a big deal out of this if you have the Cube..Cube on !:cool guy:

ps:Why is there so many angry members?? What happend to the good old magic box forum? Please people lets try and keep it clean! Say what you wanna say but keep it clean and respect other people opinions! Not everyone is the same!

Kid0_oIcarus
08-05-2002, 11:43 AM
ATMA buddy, it all went d0wnhill ever s1nce you left.. oh wait.. you're still here.. nev3rmind! :D :spin smil

Back on top1c- it is all ab0ut the games, and the ones that matt3r are the 3xclusives.. because people like me don't want thr3e consoles, especially when two of them doubl3 as DVD players that I d0n't need- and then charge you for them! Eh.. getting off track h3re.. Anyway, that's why as l0ng as Nintendo is making games only for Nintendo hardware- people who want to play Nintendo's great games will have to buy Nin.. I think you see where I'm going with this. :D So we have Nintendo in our camp, but we also need more- luckily this seems to be happeneing (slowly, to be sure- but happening) REmake, RE0, RE4 (first at least), Skies port (with added material), Supa Monkey Ball2, and we're also getting more multi-platform releases. So I like to think that things are slowly beginning to look up for Nintendo! Who knows what 2003 will hold.. oh yeah.. there's Zelda ^_^

BTW, People refrain from making blanket statements like, "I'm never wrong about so and so," or, "I know everything about such and such." You KNOW that's not true or even right- it's just asking for trouble. What happens when someone proves you wrong? You'll probably only get mad and lash out- not good.

To err is human...
A wise man said, "The more I learn the more I realize that I know nothing at all" (Or something along those lines)
Fly that sit on toilet get pissed off