PDA

View Full Version : Blue-ray support in PS3

Rubeus
03-30-2004, 05:00 PM
According to the Asahi personal computer, managing director Kiyoshi Ni****ani, the operating corporate officer of Sony, Sony would like to implement a playback-only BD-ROM for the PS3, to which development is advanced for the purpose of sale in 2005 and afterwards.

This Mr. Nish itani is in the position of generalizing Blu-ray Disc and next-generation AV household electric appliances in Sony. This BD-ROM is due to correspond also to the two-layer record which is the next-generation mass media which can record 25GB on one layer, and can record 50GB which becomes twice over the past by the end of this year.

Although this isn't an official admission of BD-ROM in PS3, I'd like to keep tabs on what's going on with this.

ATMA
03-30-2004, 05:46 PM
I hope for their sakes that Blue ray can also read normal DVD disc. Other whise there won't be any playback features.(I haven't read anywhere that the Blue Ray is capable of reading DVD roms yet, anyone knowing more about the blue ray could prove me wrong though) Maybe this is the reason why they say it won't play psx games as that technology is too outdated.

Nyceane
03-30-2004, 07:49 PM
nintendo sized disc can handle more than 10GB, PS3 can have up to like 100GB... and why would you want that? someone with a DVD burnner technology can simply mod the machine and get like 100 to 500 games on one DVD...

unless Sony decides to go with small disc too.... since this is not good idea to let pirates go up to 500 games on one disc

ATMA
03-31-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Nyceane
nintendo sized disc can handle more than 10GB, PS3 can have up to like 100GB... and why would you want that?

The blue ray won't be used on the ps3 alone. The blue ray disc is an attemp to bump the DVD out of the market. Blue ray is superior on every front compared to the DVD disc. You know how technologies evolved and stuff like that.I doubt Sony will use a mini version of Blue ray or anything like that. The ps3 will be a blue ray disc machine just like the ps2 is a dvd player.

And i'm sure there are developers that will use a lot more space then what they are using now. More voice acting,more CGIs/FMVs,more space for use, more freedome, better graphics which might need more space and whatever other extras a developer wants to throw on the disc as a bonus.

Dr. Bombay
03-31-2004, 04:06 AM
Oh let's face it. The last thing Sony has on their minds is anti-piracy.

GodOfCookery
03-31-2004, 04:21 AM
More space = more content = higher production cost = higher software prices. Nope I'm out of here.

Nyceane
03-31-2004, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by ATMA
The blue ray won't be used on the ps3 alone. The blue ray disc is an attemp to bump the DVD out of the market. Blue ray is superior on every front compared to the DVD disc. You know how technologies evolved and stuff like that.I doubt Sony will use a mini version of Blue ray or anything like that. The ps3 will be a blue ray disc machine just like the ps2 is a dvd player.

And i'm sure there are developers that will use a lot more space then what they are using now. More voice acting,more CGIs/FMVs,more space for use, more freedome, better graphics which might need more space and whatever other extras a developer wants to throw on the disc as a bonus.

how do you know its gona be Sony alone? Nintendo was more interested into it before Sony, since GCN's disc capacity was the big problem. one thing good about blue ray is not worrying about pirate games.

http://wil6.bravehost.com/Nintendo_Nexus.jpg

Dreamkin
03-31-2004, 05:11 AM
more space = same content = less production costs = same software prices more likely

Cobi*
03-31-2004, 09:08 AM
how do you know its gona be Sony alone? Nintendo was more interested into it before Sony, since GCN's disc capacity was the big problem. one thing good about blue ray is not worrying about pirate games.

:lol: that was entertaining.

IoriYagami n8
03-31-2004, 12:40 PM
The Gamecube doesn't have a problem with space. There are very few games that wouldn't fit on one Gamecube disc, and the option of multiple disc is not un-heard of. It's quite common really. DVDs have reached the point in which they have become economically viable to the mass market. Meaning that just about anyone can get into DVD movies and so forth. There is a reason that DVD hasn't replaced standard CDs in the audio market. There really isn't a need to do so. The extra features would be nice but mostly wasted, the extra space is not really needed, ect. The same to be said here. Blue Ray won't catch on outside of the PS3 (if it's used) anytime soon simply because the extra space it provides just isn't all that needed. What is the point have having more space when your current media is already under-used most the time. When you start having to expand into 3-4 disc then you may consider jumping to a higher level media. The only real advantage Sony would have with Blue Ray is that it would be harder to pirate games then the standard DVD. From my understanding of it, you won't be able to burn Blue Ray disc without a Blue Ray burner, which likely won't come for some time, or cheap for that matter. Then again, people can just extract the Blue Ray data through the console itself and burn it to DVD that way assuming content of the game wouldn't be to much (which is highly probable).

ATMA
03-31-2004, 03:20 PM

You do know who of the "3" developed the blue ray disc right?

Noticed I said it WON'T BE ONLY ON THE PS3, because the blue ray is designed to bump the DVD out of the market. If Nintendo is interested in blue ray disc... sure, but they will end up with a co developed Sony item in their Nintendo machine. And how can Nintendo be more interested in it if Sony is one of them who developed it?(So Sony is there before Nintendo was there) Where did you get that Nintendo was more interested in it? Or are you assuming things?

And why on this planet did you use that picture? Where are you trying to get at with that obviously fake picture?

Nyceane
03-31-2004, 06:43 PM
Noticed I said it WON'T BE ONLY ON THE PS3, because the blue ray is designed to bump the DVD out of the market. If Nintendo is interested in blue ray disc... sure, but they will end up with a co developed Sony item in their Nintendo machine. And how can Nintendo be more interested in it if Sony is one of them who developed it?(So Sony is there before Nintendo was there) Where did you get that Nintendo was more interested in it? Or are you assuming things?

The Blu-ray Disc using blue-violet laser achieves over 2-hour digital high definition video recording on a 12cm diameter CD/DVD size phase change optical disc

Tokyo Japan, February 19, 2002: Nine leading companies today announced that they have jointly established the basic specifications for a next generation large capacity optical disc video recording format called "Blu-ray Disc". The Blu-ray Disc enables the recording, rewriting and play back of up to 27 gigabytes (GB) of data on a single sided single layer 12cm CD/DVD size disc using a 405nm blue-violet laser. The companies that established the basic specifications for the Blu-ray Disc are: Hitachi Ltd., LG Electronics Inc., Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., Pioneer Corporation, Royal Philips Electronics, Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., Sharp Corporation, Sony Corporation, and Thomson Multimedia.
In addition to actively promoting the new format throughout the Industry, the nine companies listed above plan to begin licensing the new format as soon as specifications are completed. Licensing is expected to start around spring 2002.

By employing a short wavelength blue violet laser, the Blu-ray Disc successfully minimizes its beam spot size by making the numerical aperture (NA) on a field lens that converges the laser 0.85. In addition, by using a disc structure with a 0.1mm optical transmittance protection layer, the Blu-ray Disc diminishes aberration caused by disc tilt. This also allows for disc better readout and an increased recording density. The Blu-ray Disc's tracking pitch is reduced to 0.32um, almost half of that of a regular DVD, achieving up to 27 GB high-density recording on a single sided disc.
Because the Blu-ray Disc utilizes global standard "MPEG-2 Transport Stream" compression technology highly compatible with digital broadcasting for video recording, a wide range of content can be recorded. It is possible for the Blu-ray Disc to record digital high definition broadcasting while maintaining high quality and other data simultaneously with video data if they are received together. In addition, the adoption of a unique ID written on a Blu-ray Disc realizes high quality copyright protection functions.

The Blu-ray Disc is a technology platform that can store sound and video while maintaining high quality and also access the stored content in an easy-to-use way. This will be important in the coming broadband era as content distribution becomes increasingly diversified. The nine companies involved in the announcement will respectively develop products that take full advantage of Blu-ray Disc's large capacity and high-speed data transfer rate. They are also aiming to further enhance the appeal of the new format through developing a larger capacity, such as over 30GB on a single sided single layer disc and over 50GB on a single sided double layer disc. Adoption of the Blu-ray Disc in a variety of applications including PC data storage and high definition video software is being considered.

http://www.matsu****a.co.jp/corp/news/official.data/data.dir/en020219-4/en020219-4.html

matsu****a is Nintendo's hardware developing partner

stupid filter, **** is shiit without that extra i

Nyceane
03-31-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by IoriYagami n8
The Gamecube doesn't have a problem with space. There are very few games that wouldn't fit on one Gamecube disc, and the option of multiple disc is not un-heard of. It's quite common really. DVDs have reached the point in which they have become economically viable to the mass market. Meaning that just about anyone can get into DVD movies and so forth. There is a reason that DVD hasn't replaced standard CDs in the audio market. There really isn't a need to do so. The extra features would be nice but mostly wasted, the extra space is not really needed, ect. The same to be said here. Blue Ray won't catch on outside of the PS3 (if it's used) anytime soon simply because the extra space it provides just isn't all that needed. What is the point have having more space when your current media is already under-used most the time. When you start having to expand into 3-4 disc then you may consider jumping to a higher level media. The only real advantage Sony would have with Blue Ray is that it would be harder to pirate games then the standard DVD. From my understanding of it, you won't be able to burn Blue Ray disc without a Blue Ray burner, which likely won't come for some time, or cheap for that matter. Then again, people can just extract the Blue Ray data through the console itself and burn it to DVD that way assuming content of the game wouldn't be to much (which is highly probable).

a lot of games are having problems with one disc already, i already got 2 games that has 2 discs, RE0 and MGS:TTS

and a lot of developers can't develop some games for GCN because of the disc size....

ATMA
03-31-2004, 06:49 PM
matsu****a is Nintendo's hardware developing partner

Yeah, you just prooved my point. They are partners. Nintendo has nothing do to with the blue ray disc. If profit is made on the blue ray disc it will go to all the companies that you have mentioned above and not Nintendo. And Sony has far more stakes in the blue ray than Nintendo ever will have. So i'm still not sure where you think that Nintendo was interesting in it before Sony.

IoriYagami n8
04-01-2004, 12:19 AM
a lot of games are having problems with one disc already, i already got 2 games that has 2 discs, RE0 and MGS:TTS

and a lot of developers can't develop some games for GCN because of the disc size.... Problems? Did they not work correctly when you inserted the second disc? Having more than one disc isn't a problem at all and really isn't that big of a deal considering disc media is quite cheap (even customized disc such as Gamecube media). What developers can't develop what games on GCN because of disc size? Final Fantasy X? It could easily be put on 2 or even 3 disc if needs be. They had no problem doing it with games on CDs. Disc media didn't stop Namco from putting in high quality FMV and voice overs into Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos, they simply expanded the games onto second disc.

Dreamkin
04-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Second disc is a problem. You'll want to keep the costs and the ease of use to minimum. If a system has a smaller storage medium(GC) and the other has a bigger one (PS2, XBOX) developers and marketing would naturally prefer the bigger one for the same reason most First Person Shooters on consoles don't have a mouse and keyboard support. The default is important.

Nyceane
04-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by ATMA
Yeah, you just prooved my point. They are partners. Nintendo has nothing do to with the blue ray disc. If profit is made on the blue ray disc it will go to all the companies that you have mentioned above and not Nintendo. And Sony has far more stakes in the blue ray than Nintendo ever will have. So i'm still not sure where you think that Nintendo was interesting in it before Sony.

dude, they were the one that gave ideas on GCN using small discs in the first place

ATMA
04-01-2004, 03:53 PM
And what does that have to do with the blue ray disc and Nintendo being interested in it before Sony?

IoriYagami n8
04-02-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Dreamkin
Second disc is a problem. You'll want to keep the costs and the ease of use to minimum. If a system has a smaller storage medium(GC) and the other has a bigger one (PS2, XBOX) developers and marketing would naturally prefer the bigger one for the same reason most First Person Shooters on consoles don't have a mouse and keyboard support. The default is important. Usage? Is it really so hard to take out one disc and put in another? That's total bs. Cost may be an issue to an extent. Standard DVD Roms cost less then mini-DVD Gamecube disc. On the other hand, it's likely that Blue-Ray media will cost quite a bit too.

Dreamkin
04-02-2004, 02:11 AM
No it is not bs. It is a reality. You know that everyone is angry about sony not putting 4 gameports on its console. Multitap on the other hand is a pretty cheap accessory. Interestingly enough I rarely felt the need to have 4 gameports. (Winning Eleven anyone? :P) The deal is everyoneis still bitter about it. And most companies don't have 4 player support in their games just because sony has 2 ports at default. Facts of the life.

Technically GC minidisc's production costs are lower than standard DVDrom. But it is a very little difference. Therefore if I need TWICE the costs to put a game on a medium I would go for normal DVDs and say "screw Nintendo I'm goin home"

IoriYagami n8
04-02-2004, 03:50 AM
There is a difference between multiple disc and more than 2 controller ports. One restricts multiplayer to two people unless you pay extra money for a cheap accessory. The other makes you do the exact same thing as when you first put the game into the system. I have yet to see any game that charged higher prices for being multiple disc. One you pay for, one is standard acivity for any system (inserting media to play).

Of course you don't know Nintendo's price plan for when developers pay for license. It's likely they could charge per disc, but it's also likely that they give a flat rate for developers. So if you pay your license and your game is three disc they give you three disc. Nintendo does have the highest license fees out of the three current console makers after all. If the Mini-DVDs are cheaper to produce then it would reason that Nintendo could afford to be more competative with license fees. They certainly aren't holding back other price points. The point of the matter is that the standard DVD-ROM holds more than enough data games. There just isn't really a need for a disc that holds 100 GIGs when it comes to making games. For the .2% of games that do exceed the standard DVD-ROM size they can simply go with a dual layer format.