PDA

View Full Version : ICO

Overlord
04-20-2002, 01:16 AM
I have to say that this is one of the best games that I have ever played. The whole gameplay is just the most original thing that i've seen Videogames for quite sometime. And the graphics were also great, considering that everything was in lo-res to reduce load time. It was also on a CD.

...the only bad thing was that it was a bit on the short side, 7-8 hours?

The game was published by Sony, but it didn't have big publications like Dark Cloud or Jak and Dexter.

I also read that only 6 people worked on it. And there was about 250 people on FFX. Though two different games and budgets, but still a difference.

Your thoughts?

chocotek
04-20-2002, 01:39 AM
my friend has it...id like to check it out someday since its supposed to be really good...it was originally supposed to be on PSOne, so that could be a another reason for low resolution

Overlord
04-20-2002, 01:47 AM
it was originally supposed to be on PSOne

Maybe, but the Graphics got a big overhaul if they made a version for the PSx.

...And the sequal(hopefully) will most likely have Hi-Res graphics. The game allso proved that the PS2 can do some great lightning effects.

It also got game-of-the-year at penny-arcade.com

chocotek
04-20-2002, 02:30 AM
it never came out for PSOne...i think they finished it or got close to finishing it then decided to make it a PS2 game..

devie
04-20-2002, 08:46 AM
I think the most impresive thing is the AI. Don't know about the black shadow fellas, but Ico and Y.... whatever interacted really well and they behaved like children do. The movement when Ico is holding hands with Thingy and they were running around was near perfect. The way Thingy went off to look at the birds was also a very nice touch. If they make a sequel, I recon they should make it more of an RPG, the mix of exploration and dungeon treking would give RPG developers something new to think about rather than just giving us a cliched story and some turn-based battles.

Shin Egg Robo X
04-21-2002, 10:35 AM
Ico is a work of art. Easily one of the best games ever for PS2. I don't own the game (yet) but I played it in a kiosk and wow, this game is amazing, especially for a SCE product.

FRDrizzt
04-21-2002, 01:41 PM
It was a really good game, and a great first impression for the PS2 for me. I took this game as an early christmas gift over MGS2 (which I do like more) becasue I knew it was short, so I would have time to play Ico and Xenogears before FFX came out...However I liked the game so much, I was not disapointed with making some AAA titles wait to play it.

tiffac
04-25-2002, 01:26 AM
One of the best games I have ever played. 2 Thumbs up

Donald Love
04-25-2002, 05:49 AM
A beautiful game, very atmospheric. The movements of Yorda and Ico are done really well.

I like to just sit on the couch with her :)

piyo
04-25-2002, 09:17 AM
I picked up Ico after I read everybody raving about it. :) Yes, this is a beautiful game, because there is no obtrusive User Interface (like a health meter, current map, etc), there is rarely a slowdown in the graphics, and everything seems so seamless. Plus the puzzles aren't too hard or frustrating (actually, there's two places, but I'll get to that in a minute).

Everybody mentions the interaction between Ico and Yorda. Personally I wish Yorda would get the clue that Ico wants to run, so that the herky-jerky arm pulling animation would stop. Other than that, actions seem to speak louder than words in this game.

I live in Japan, so I bought the Japanese version. It is different than the U.S. version, and probably more like the European (PAL) version, because two really difficult puzzles are in it. I verified this by reading the faqs at www.gamefaqs.com. I'm playing this one area before the waterfall, and I already beat the game, but I can't proceed because of one of the puzzles. Presumably they took out those puzzles for U.S. gamers, so that they won't be so frustrated. I tell you I'm frustrated now.

I was watching Famitsu magazine's GameWave DVD No. 19 (2002/03/30). There was a time attack record for Ico presented in the Yarikomi ("intense play"?) section. How fast can you beat Ico? One guy got the end sequence in ... Well, can you beat it under two hours (save game time)?

All in all, I'm glad I bought this game. It makes my PS2 game collection just that much better.

Read below for some SPOILER information, do not read if you haven't finished the game.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E

SPOILER
I bought a hint book (ISBN 4-7973-1882-1) for the Japanese version, and it says that there is a mace to collect. That much everybody knows. But there is also a better sword (the 5th weapon) to collect. Plus there is a slightly different ending if you give Yorda something. I haven't seen this information in the gamefaqs stuff, but then again maybe it's not in the U.S. or European versions.

---
piyo & yorda, without ico

FumieHosokawa
04-25-2002, 03:06 PM
piyo, I'm not sure where you're stuck, but I've played both US and Japanese versions (the European one seems to be the same as the latter), finished it again after the end save, and the only difference, gameplay-wise, is the "engine" in the building near the waterfall. It's just frustrating in that your timing has to be perfect in order to make the jump. Sorta-hidden spoiler: the "secret weapon", also not available in the earlier American release, is the light saber, which you obtain the same way as the mace, but the second time around. Two hours, easy; I wasn't even rushing--I feel bad when pulling too hard on Yorda's arm, that's how convincing the AI is--and did like 1:45 on my last run.

Still, my favorite game on the PS2.

Overlord
04-25-2002, 06:07 PM
So they don't have the 5th weapon in all of the US versions of ICO? I also read that the European version has random shadow spots, so the demons can come out at random spots.

...I did get the mace in my first time around, I never played it twice.

My brother-in-law bought the game. He brought the game over a while ago when he and my sister were visiting. Thats the only time I had the chance to play the game. I'll probably borrow it again if there is secrets like this one. And I'm not bad at the game or any thing. But it took me about nine and a half hours to beat it the first time I played. The only puzzle I didn't like was when you had to throw those bombs across and hope it lands in the spot. That alone all most took me two hours. This one took place shortly after I got the mace. Everything else was pretty easy, the windmill took about 20 minutes.

FumieHosokawa
04-25-2002, 06:38 PM
The smokemen in the Japanese version (from all accounts identical to the European one) didn't appear at random, but they did have better AI--which made them harder to get at, that's for sure. Maybe the player thought they did because he left Yorda alone for too long, which can bring them out pretty much anywhere. Yorda, incidentally, was also slightly different AI-wise: she was more helpful, quicker to point the way out, but not as playful with the birds--which made her harder to appreciate, too.

Overlord
04-25-2002, 06:59 PM
Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. I knew about the shadows appering eventually, if you left Yorda alone too long. But the Euro version was supposed to have random spots, even when you had Yorda with you, and you just got into a new place.

...I never heard about the advance AI's though.

piyo
04-26-2002, 09:44 AM
FumieHosokawa:

You got it right, I was stuck in that engine room. I tried to do the jump sequence for about 30 minutes before getting completely pissed off. Now even looking at Yorba checking her sleeve in boredom makes me angry. I don't know how I got the timing the last time I played it. Oh well, I'll play it later after I've cooled a bit.

I was trying not to spoil the game when I gave out that vague spoiler. Oh well, I don't post often enough to know what is good way to post.

I was also vague with the time clear record. According to the DVD, that person finished the game in 1 hour 40 minutes and 24 seconds. Can you beat that? ^_^; If I can get past that engine room...

Here's to hoping that there will be a sequel to Ico.

---
piyo bows to "action, no-relaxin'" Ico

FumieHosokawa
04-26-2002, 12:04 PM
I always thought she was massaging her arm because I pulled on it too hard. :p

Guess it's too late to go for the record. Anything else interesting on that DVD? Is it worth paying twice the cover price at the local Japanese bookstore (who seem oblivious to exchange rates and the state of the economy there)?

Me, I hope there isn't a sequel. Don't tell me; Ico & Yorda get stuck in another castle? The story is perfect as it ended. Anything more, and it's a potential Phantom Menace. I'd rather the creative team work on something entirely different.

Vicviper
04-26-2002, 04:15 PM
I agree. This is one of my top five games for the PS2. I wouldn't complain if they made a sequel.

piyo
04-26-2002, 09:11 PM
If you read Japanese you can go to the source:

www.enterbrain.co.jp/seihin/gamewavedvd.html

I mainly buy the DVD magazine for the preview/promotional movies, the point/score/time records (Yarikomi, Geimu Tentori Doujo) and the interviews. There are no game demos, as it is non-console specific. They had the Biohazard (GC) promo and Final Fantasy 11 interview as well as other things in issue 19. I don't know if it's worth it for this current issue, but 1000 yen (USD 8) isn't much for a DVD-magazine I think. Too bad for import shops. I know those so well, because I used to go to those back when I was a kid living in So. Cal.

I like the puzzles and the game atmosphere, and I wouldn't mind a sequel, even if they had to write a (contrived? convoluted? :eek:) story to make it. (Possible story: Ico finds similar castles, and first has to infiltrate... um okay i'm not writing anything good here.) Its not like Ico and Yorba have to be in the sequel. Just Ico. Maybe Yorba's sister/brother/relative who has better AI or something.

Anyway, where can I get sales figures to gauge how well Ico sold?

Oh BTW, overlord, I have the guide book for Ico which has an interview with the developers who made it. The answer for how many people developed the game is 3 at the start when they were targeting the PS, and 20 at the end when they finally targeted the PS2. They said they were developing it for at least 4 years. Ugh. At this rate, maybe it will show up on the next Playstation. :(

---
piyo says "DVD-based game mags are cool, and games that rip the story up for sequels are okay."

Overlord
04-27-2002, 02:39 AM
20 people is still a small amount of people for a game of this calibur.

...The game is really a work of art. Another amazing thing about it is how strongly the light source affected the scenery. Things further away were unclear where the light was hitting it. But when you got closer, it started getting clearer. Even though they only used one (big) light source, it played a major role in the art of it all.

And is there a official number on how many people worked on FFX.

teepo
04-27-2002, 11:04 AM
i'm trying to figure out what this one big light source is. you mean having a fake sun that effected the scenry?

Overlord
04-27-2002, 07:49 PM
i'm trying to figure out what this one big light source is. you mean having a fake sun that effected the scenry?

Yeah i'm talking about the sun.

...What do you mean by a fake sun? You mean its fake because it's in a game?

teepo
04-27-2002, 09:13 PM
yes.

so your telling that ico looks more amazing considering the fact that it has a sun?

Overlord
04-27-2002, 09:31 PM
yes.

so your telling that ico looks more amazing considering the fact that it has a sun?

No, a lot of games has a "sun" in it. ICO just used it in a differant way. It used to give the enviroment a more of a realism look.

teepo
04-28-2002, 04:24 PM
that wasn't the sun doing, it was the lightning technique they used.

Overlord
04-28-2002, 04:37 PM
Heres something from penny-arcade.com, it explaines how well the sun and the lightning effects were used. And another reason why ICO is a masterpiece.

originally posted at penny-arcade.com
A traditional artist would paint each and every leaf on a tree as he knew it to be there. An impressionist wanted to paint what he saw rather than what he intellectually knew. What he saw was not separate leaves, but splashes of constantly changing light and color. Impressionists discovered that even the darkest shadow contained an infinite number of colors. Most games are happy to render lighting in a very stale, mathematical way. Shadows are cast in the appropriate directions depending on light source and one might even catch a pre-packaged sun glare effect should you look in just the right direction. One game stands out as depicting light as we actually see it. In ICO sunlight can be so overwhelming that it completely obliterates your view of your surroundings. Claude Monet was fascinated by this effect. In one of his more famous series of paintings he studied this. He made multiple paintings of La cathedrale de Rouen in 1843. Each painting was done under different conditions. Some with direct sun light others in early morning fog. He marveled at how light could actually destroy the stone walls of the cathedral. In fact, under certain circumstances it was all but impossible to make out the details of the building. This same effect is used beautifully in ICO. The sunlight in ICO breaks through windows and eats away and the stone castle. When leaving a dark room into a sunlit tower it momentarily blinds you. This is the same thing that the impressionists were striving for and to see it captured so well in a game is breathtaking.

Lynx
05-08-2002, 05:22 PM
For those of you who wanted an ICO 2, your out of luck (at least, according to the latest issue of OPM). In the Gossip section it says:

"Only 70,000 of you bought Ico. What a crying shame. What were you thinking? More than 10 times that number of you have splashed out for the awful State of Emergency-in a tenth of the time, too. There's no accounting for taste. Anyway...due to the fact that so many of you weren't interested in playing something genuinely new and different, plans for a sequel to Ico have been scrapped. Thanks a bunch. The development team is instead working on a completely new franchise taht tackles some of the same themes. If they had any comercial sense and no creative instincts, they'd obviously ditch all the toughy-feely crap and make a game where you run around hitting people with telephone boxes or something. Thank goodness they're artists, though-and I for one can't wait to see what they're working on. Members of the team were recently spotted at the Grand Canyon gathering images for reserch."

Maybe it's for the better that they never made a sequel to ICO, guess we'll never know. I am interested in what their next project is though...

tiffac
05-09-2002, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Lynx
For those of you who wanted an ICO 2, your out of luck (at least, according to the latest issue of OPM). In the Gossip section it says:

"Only 70,000 of you bought Ico. What a crying shame. What were you thinking? More than 10 times that number of you have splashed out for the awful State of Emergency-in a tenth of the time, too. There's no accounting for taste. Anyway...due to the fact that so many of you weren't interested in playing something genuinely new and different, plans for a sequel to Ico have been scrapped. Thanks a bunch. The development team is instead working on a completely new franchise taht tackles some of the same themes. If they had any comercial sense and no creative instincts, they'd obviously ditch all the toughy-feely crap and make a game where you run around hitting people with telephone boxes or something. Thank goodness they're artists, though-and I for one can't wait to see what they're working on. Members of the team were recently spotted at the Grand Canyon gathering images for reserch."

Maybe it's for the better that they never made a sequel to ICO, guess we'll never know. I am interested in what their next project is though...

70,000... wheres that in America? or worldwide? unless its worldwide then the excuse of not having to make a Ico sequel bec. of lack of interest is bull!

For all I know Ico was never meant to have a sequel. Its a one shot wonder and so we see in the ending. Right!

Lynx
05-09-2002, 03:10 PM
Maybe it was worldwide sales, I've nevre seen any sales for it, so I don't know.

Thats what I thought to, just a one time game, not ment to have a sequel. But maybe they were going to put one together...

tiffac
05-10-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Lynx
Maybe it was worldwide sales, I've nevre seen any sales for it, so I don't know.

Thats what I thought to, just a one time game, not ment to have a sequel. But maybe they were going to put one together...

I remember Sony saying that Ico was and has always been a one shot game I think they said it after an interview at Now.Gamers in the UK but I don't know if they still have that interview on thier site anymore since its like dead...

For all I know Ico gathered half a Mil worldwide sales so thats not bad.

piyo
05-25-2002, 09:12 PM
Recently I came across an article about Ico, in japanese. It said that world wide, about 500,000 copies of Ico were shipped world wide. It also received an award from Game Developers Choice Awards, as well as others.

Also, a well-known writer in Japan, Miyuki Miyabe, is writing a novelization of Ico, and is currently being published in serial form in the magazine, Shuukan Gendai. No word if it will be published in book form or translated into english.

Source:
http://www.zdnet.co.jp/gamespot/gsnews/0205/01/news04.html

---
No ads. No foul language. Not your (mischievous person)'s BBS. MB Forums.

Overlord
08-26-2002, 12:15 PM
I think I'll bump this up, with ICO teams new game debuting soon. Anyone else wanna share there comments/ have Questions on ICO? And no, there next game is not a sequal. And the game will debut at this years TGS!

...Oh, and this is my 1500 post, Go Me!

aneep
08-26-2002, 03:07 PM
in US it sold 126k (from release up to July 2002)

i'm sure a sequel would come out anyway

-aneep-

Mikeru83
08-26-2002, 03:40 PM
I hope they (the developers of ICO) continue to push the boundaries on their artistic senses. ICO created a great sense of environment and mood.

FumieHosokawa
08-28-2002, 11:14 PM
Anyone else notice that the upcoming Tokyo Game Show is supposed to feature a PSOne Ico? (Remember, it was originally meant for 32-bit.) As crazy as I was about this game--got both US and Japanese versions, even bought the soundtrack--I'll have to get this, too, even if it's a port with less impressive visuals.

Penance
08-28-2002, 11:33 PM
Well, it's the unofficial list, so it can be just a typo. A port would be kinda pointless. Maybe they did something with the PSX version which couldn't make it to the PS2 version...?

Mikeru83
08-29-2002, 12:36 AM
Maybe it's one of those picture games where you choose your won path. *shrug* OR it could be a CD of very pretty still shots. Who knows... Obviously it won't be anything as nice as the PS2 ICO.