PDA

View Full Version : Treasure's strategy with Ikaruga...

silvergun
07-26-2002, 12:03 PM
Can anyone explain to me why Treasure has chosen to develop Ikaruga only for Dreamcast (for now anyway... I pray for a ps2/gc port in the future) and also why they have chosen to sell it exclusively through Sega's D-Direct online store ? What's the reasoning behind this strategy ? I just don't really get it.

Also, at this point, a North-American release seems HIGHLY unlikely although the game would have much better sales than some of Take-2's Fresh Games label (i.e. Mad Maestro, Mr. Mosquito). Again here, I just don't understand their reasoning.

As you can see with my name and signature, I like pretty much all things Treasure (ok, except for that mcdonalds game and the tiny toons games) and I've been expecting Treasure's next shooter ever since I finished Radiant Silvergun for the first time (and who hasn't?). Up to now though, I've been dissapointed many times with Ikaruga : 1st when they announced that there wouldn't be a PS2 port and now that thay say it'll be sold only through D-Direct, with not much hope for a North-American release. I'm just looking for more info on that matter because I just don't understand their strategy...

Please excuse my question if this has been debated already, since I'm new on this board.

dog$
07-26-2002, 02:42 PM
1) The DC version exists because the arcade version was made on the similar Naomi board, and Treasure does not have the staff to do the conversion themself, and no other company has offered to do the port for them. Until that happens, don't expect the game to be anywhere but DC.

2) Read this latest NCS update
What's this $#!@ I hear about Ikaruga being D-Direct exclusive?!
No one said it was D-Direct exclusive. The Dreamcast is basically a dead system in Japan now. Orphaned and unwanted by it's maker, the Dreamcast nevertheless plods along the Japanese market with a few dating-game releases and niche products nowadays. Sales for new DC releases generally number in the 5,000 to 20,000 mark (we're being generous). Compare that to Mario Sunshine which moved over 300,000 units in the span of a few days. If we were a rational, risk averse Japanese retail shop eking out a living in a recession-wracked economy, we would damn the Dreamcast and huddle exclusively in the Gamecube and Playstation 2 camps. It's a simple business decision since capital is not unlimited for most Japanese shops and chains. Choices must be made on what to stock, coupled with forecasts on what will sell. The easy choice is to stick with anything PS2, Gamecube, and GBA. Using this logic, it's also the easy and safe decision to avoid the Dreamcast. Where does this bring us with regards to the matter at hand?
Yes, it is indeed the case that Ikaruga will be a limited production release but don't misinterpret the reasons for this. Like any other business entity, Treasure is a profit-seeking enterprise and they endeavor to maximize returns on properties and franchises. If they were able to sell 100,000 copies of Ikaruga, they would print 100,000 copies. However, they won't be able to sell anything remotely close to this number and as such, the print run will be sold only to distributors who have guaranteed their preorders for the game. Our payment for Ikaruga was wired over a month ago. NCS will stock the game on September 5.

Translation: the Magicbox blurb is still unconfirmed so far and as long as you preordered somewhere, you're fine. If you haven't, you're probably screwed.

silvergun
07-26-2002, 04:04 PM
Uhm.. I thought Naomi to PS2 ports weren't that hard to accomplish, but if they don't have the staff for it... their decision makes sense. What is sad about this situation is that alot of people will feel compelled to get the pirated version instead of importing... :irked"

sigh...

aneep
07-26-2002, 05:45 PM
what do u expect?

all new games for DC now are only released in limited numbers, like NSX said, why print more when the market is limited?

as in DC\Naomi->PS2 port, Naomi games, with its abundant RAM (the ratio of uncompressed textures vs compressed textures for Naomi is reversed that of DC), are actually quite difficult to port perfectly to the PS2

and Naomi 2 (with its added TnL engine)is actually more powerfull than the PS2

so any port from N2->PS2 would need to be reduced in detail/textures/poly counts

-aneep-

Rubeus
07-26-2002, 06:06 PM
The D-Direct thing is only for the Japanese market. The reason Treasure chooses not to release the game to Japanese retailers is obvious, because the DC market is too small to risk. That's why in Japan you have you order it through D-Direct online.

That does not necessary means importors like NCS, Buyrite or are not able to stock up the games and sell them online!

Originally posted by dog$

What's this $#!@ I hear about Ikaruga being D-Direct exclusive?!
No one said it was D-Direct exclusive. The Dreamcast is basically a dead system in Japan now. Orphaned and unwanted by it's maker, the Dreamcast nevertheless plods along the Japanese market with a few dating-game releases and niche products nowadays. Sales for new DC releases generally number in the 5,000 to 20,000 mark (we're being generous). Compare that to Mario Sunshine which moved over 300,000 units in the span of a few days. If we were a rational, risk averse Japanese retail shop eking out a living in a recession-wracked economy, we would damn the Dreamcast and huddle exclusively in the Gamecube and Playstation 2 camps. It's a simple business decision since capital is not unlimited for most Japanese shops and chains. Choices must be made on what to stock, coupled with forecasts on what will sell. The easy choice is to stick with anything PS2, Gamecube, and GBA. Using this logic, it's also the easy and safe decision to avoid the Dreamcast. Where does this bring us with regards to the matter at hand?
Yes, it is indeed the case that Ikaruga will be a limited production release but don't misinterpret the reasons for this. Like any other business entity, Treasure is a profit-seeking enterprise and they endeavor to maximize returns on properties and franchises. If they were able to sell 100,000 copies of Ikaruga, they would print 100,000 copies. However, they won't be able to sell anything remotely close to this number and as such, the print run will be sold only to distributors who have guaranteed their preorders for the game. Our payment for Ikaruga was wired over a month ago. NCS will stock the game on September 5.

Translation: the Magicbox blurb is still unconfirmed so far and as long as you preordered somewhere, you're fine. If you haven't, you're probably screwed.

xXx Beaver xXx
07-31-2002, 07:14 AM
i fully agree with what ruby said.

- Triple X Beaver :spin smil