PDA

View Full Version : Hack And Slash Games = Repetitive or Cool ?

theused
03-13-2004, 05:10 AM
What do you think about 3d hack and slash games such as Onimusha 3 ? Is It repetitive or cool ? :P :haha: :haha: :haha:

Axe Wielding Nut
03-13-2004, 05:25 AM
they're fucking AWESOME

DYNASTY WARRIOOOOOOOOOORRS!!! WOOOOO!!!

in all honesty, Hack and Slash games are only cool if they give you a reason to hack and slash

Dynasty Warriors rocks because you have 41 characters to get thier level 11 levels for, you got a crapload of stages, you got a crapload of enemies, and its not crap while doing it the game rocks

i heard Drakengard or whatever sucks because it tried it and didn't get it right, i dunno if thats true, but if it is, thats a prime example of hack and slash gone wrong, if it does rock, then that'll be another title in my bank

Alucard
03-13-2004, 05:41 AM
SUPER SNOOOORE!!

Axe Wielding Nut
03-13-2004, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Alucard
SUPER SNOOOORE!!

don't mind alucard, if Konami made a Dynasty Warriors ripoff he'd love it

hey Alucard how about that Lament of Innocence :haha:

Escaflowne2001
03-13-2004, 07:25 AM
Indeed. I like em' most of the time depends how well it's done. Dynasty Warriors and Onimusha are very good.

spider-prime
03-13-2004, 07:45 AM
Devilmay cry 1, awesome

DMC 2, sucks big balls!

TheHardware
03-13-2004, 09:33 AM
yeah dmc2...made me cry

but i also hate dynasty warriors ....but love hack and slash games.....i cant explain it.....im a wierdo

Zod
03-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Usually they're repetitive and bore me out of my skull, but the DW games are excellent and addictive as hell. I easily put 200+ hours on DW 4 while trying to get all the 10th level weapons, making it the most well-played non-RPG I've ever played

Alucard
03-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Gorath the Destroyer

BANNED!!!

Nem
03-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Hmmm... its weird, but i agree with Gorath on this one. Its all about upgrading your character while kicking some royal ass! And when your done... well you kick even more royal ass :D , okay thats when you put the game on a harder difficulty mode...

Rubeus
03-13-2004, 03:55 PM
It seems Dynasty Warriors is the only successful series of hack n' slash games. The other imitations don't work too well, probably because none of them have historical background and war strategy elements for backup. Samurai Warriors has just passed 1 million in Japan.

The Lord of the Rings attempts are not too bad, but they have the movie backgrounds.

SpaceManSpiff
03-13-2004, 04:49 PM
In Drakengard, your character, Dragon, and weapons all upgrade. Im not sure If you get to use other characters and Dragons, but I think later on in the game you do. (Im only on Chapter 3) But Drakengard has everything else that Dynasty Warriors is missing, like an actual story. But the hack and slash isnt as good as DW. The game has lots of potential though, and hopefully they will fix it in a sequel and make it more adventure/ RPGish where you can actually explore and interact with characters and the background.

Axe Wielding Nut
03-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by SpaceManSpiff
In Drakengard, your character, Dragon, and weapons all upgrade. Im not sure If you get to use other characters and Dragons, but I think later on in the game you do. (Im only on Chapter 3) But Drakengard has everything else that Dynasty Warriors is missing, like an actual story. But the hack and slash isnt as good as DW. The game has lots of potential though, and hopefully they will fix it in a sequel and make it more adventure/ RPGish where you can actually explore and interact with characters and the background.

if what you say is correct then the first thing they should do is FIX THE FUCKING HACK AND SLASH

but imma give Drakengard credit, im sure its Definatly a Hell of alot better than the first Dynasty Warriors:haha:

that being said, also consider the fact that it tool ALOT of **** from Dynasty Warriors, but still, from here on in it should only improve

Sinful Sam
03-13-2004, 05:10 PM
They get too repetitive for my taste. Onimusha and Devil May Cry are not bad though, they not so long and it not only a hack and slash. It has some puzzles and exploring as well.

Axe Wielding Nut
03-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Juste
They get too repetitive for my taste. Onimusha and Devil May Cry are not bad though, they not so long and it not only a hack and slash. It has some puzzles and exploring as well.

..... i don't like you :(

deadaerith
03-13-2004, 05:40 PM
*meh* hack n slash games only get repetive if you have the same 10 moves throughout the entire game coupled with no chara development and no weapon/chara upgrade (this being the reason i get so bored with sports games).

as for dmc being "non-h&s" it was. the puzzles were about as easy as they were in onimusha. any puzzle you can solve in 5 seconds is just a delay in hacking up bad guys.

DW4 is obviously the best combination of story and hacking to come out state-side (so far). I'm even glad to see the way FGs are headed in more character BG/development and more combos (KENGO!). sure beats the old <- <- A in MK :P

Mishi
03-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Like deadaerith said it would become a bore, but like loi and ninja gaiden, they have great combos ect. which make them fun. if it was something like diablo which really is just a clicking fest imo (poor mousies) it would get boring fast.

Zod
03-13-2004, 10:09 PM

I've been trying out a rented copy, and what Drakengard lacks is "mojo." The environments and characters are all blandly decorated and designed, while in DW they were very well-done. So far it only has one playable character, and he's plain in comparison to the tons of them in a DW game. The dragon design even sucks in comparison to previous dragon designs from Square.

DW has an actual story, and a great deal of it is based on truth too. Go get a copy of the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms," or do some searching on the net. Drakengard's "rescue the princess and save the world from evil" routine is a broken record with Square set to a new genre for them.

SpaceManSpiff
03-14-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Zod
I've been trying out a rented copy, and what Drakengard lacks is "mojo." The environments and characters are all blandly decorated and designed, while in DW they were very well-done. So far it only has one playable character, and he's plain in comparison to the tons of them in a DW game. The dragon design even sucks in comparison to previous dragon designs from Square.

DW has an actual story, and a great deal of it is based on truth too. Go get a copy of the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms," or do some searching on the net. Drakengard's "rescue the princess and save the world from evil" routine is a broken record with Square set to a new genre for them.

Well from what I remeber from Dynasty Warriors, (ive only played 1&2, there wasnt much of a story) And there are other dragons in drakengard, your dragon also levels up and changes appearance. You have to admit that the FMV's are pretty cool though, like the intro, and the one where Inuart first gets his black dragon and attack you and your dragon. (im only on chapter 3)

but imma give Drakengard credit, im sure its Definatly a Hell of alot better than the first Dynasty Warriors

Eh, over all Drakengard is better than the first DW, but the hack and slash probably equals it at best. well, you do ge to fly on a dragon and shoot guys from above, but its very repetative and simple.

Axe Wielding Nut
03-14-2004, 01:32 AM
Eh, over all Drakengard is better than the first DW, but the hack and slash probably equals it at best. well, you do ge to fly on a dragon and shoot guys from above, but its very repetative and simple.

thats hard to believe since the first DW was a fighting game

SpaceManSpiff
03-14-2004, 03:46 AM
thats hard to believe since the first DW was a fighting game

Hmm I looked up DW, and I guess I havent played #1, Ive played #2 and 3. For some reason I thought I had played 1 and 2. So anytime I was referring to #1, I meant 2.

The dragon design even sucks in comparison to previous dragon designs from Square. -ZOD

Oh, and Dragengard was well under way by ENIX, not Square, before the merger. So Square didnt have a whole lot to do with it.

Mainstreme Fan
03-14-2004, 09:40 AM
H&S games are better then 3D shooters.

ATMA
03-14-2004, 01:34 PM
I like them...and all game somewhere down the line becomes repetitive.The difference is some are quickly seen compared to others..for instance shooters . This doesn't mean the game gets borring in my eyes though..it's all about how the game is presented (ie combos, music, story, challenges etc)

Kysa
03-14-2004, 03:03 PM
what makes h&s fun is the feeling that you're actually getting somewhere, and the rest of the game has to grab you, whether it's a good story, or playability or variety of characters, or character development.

The point is that it has to hold your attention and make you want to fight your way through another 10 bad guys. A game can have as good a system of fighting as it wants, but if I don't feel like I'm gaining anything then I won't carry on playing.

fantasy_final
03-14-2004, 06:15 PM
I like them hack and slash type games. DW4 was the most BORING hack and slash game ever. ONly 1/4 of the people have good musou attacks.

Axe Wielding Nut
03-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by fantasy_final
I like them hack and slash type games. DW4 was the most BORING hack and slash game ever. ONly 1/4 of the people have good musou attacks.

you want boring? look at your screen name for a hint

Dynasty Warriors = Yo Daddy

get used to it

SpaceManSpiff
03-14-2004, 08:20 PM
Just because a game is repetative doesnt mean its boring or no fun. I still play Tribes 2 lots and it is very repetiative.

Axe Wielding Nut
03-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Just because a game is repetative doesnt mean its boring or no fun. I still play Tribes 2 lots and it is very repetiative.

exactly! just because Spaceman's post are repetative doens't mean they're boring! its still fun to ridicule and belittle him whenever I get a chance!

deadaerith
03-14-2004, 08:29 PM

k i'll give you that some games though cheesy and repetitive are VERY addictive and keep you playing again and again. However, when it comes to actually paying $50 for a game, i want my money's worth.

gearhound1
03-14-2004, 09:03 PM
don't mind alucard, if Konami made a Dynasty Warriors ripoff he'd love it

what about it? it kicks ASS!

Axe Wielding Nut
03-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by gearhound
what about it? it kicks ASS!

I agree, but Dynasty Warriors is better, and Castlevania is still a hack and slash game, altho its not as blatant as Dynasty Warriors.

so his post is kind of, void. //edit --> especially if his GIMMICK IS GENUINE!

if not I don't give a shit, I just wanted him to say "Banned!"

Icarus4578
03-14-2004, 09:25 PM
C'mon. If you play a game like Onimusha 2 and don't enjoy it you should just quit gaming forever.

gearhound1
03-14-2004, 09:31 PM
a quote from Gorath regarding LoI...

I agree, but Dynasty Warriors is better

YOU ARE A DW FREAK!!

IF YOU WANT TO GET TECHNICAL, LoI has a much better 3D engine.:P

Axe Wielding Nut
03-14-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by gearhound
IF YOU WANT TO GET TECHNICAL, LoI has a much better 3D engine.:P

GASP! YOU = TEH GRAPHIX WHORE!!

besides, I wanna see that uber superior 3d Engine pull off 30 undead skeletons on the screen at the same time!!!

SpaceManSpiff
03-15-2004, 05:10 AM
exactly! just because Spaceman's post are repetative doens't mean they're boring! its still fun to ridicule and belittle him whenever I get a chance!

Im repetative.....IM REPETATIVE!!! All you do is say "Dynasty Warriors is Awesome!" or you cuss out everyone no matter what their thread is about!!!

Axe Wielding Nut
03-15-2004, 05:16 AM
Im repetative.....IM REPETATIVE!!! All you do is say "Dynasty Warriors is Awesome!" or you cuss out everyone no matter what their thread is about!!!

my variety lies in who I curse at and about what!

whats your variety? you suck anywhich way you post!!!:too mad:

GodOfCookery
03-15-2004, 05:27 AM
Still waiting for Creamson Sea 2, for me its the DW killer. Because it has a more interesting setting

Axe Wielding Nut
03-15-2004, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by GodOfCookery
Still waiting for Creamson Sea 2, for me its the DW killer. Because it has a more interesting setting

ewww you'd take futuristic sci fi crap over actual history?

man... thanks to this game I know that Vega was really a rip off of a person 1700 years ago named Zhang He! HOW COOL IS THAT!!?

but all that aside, Classic Times, Present Times > Futuristic crap

Seska
03-15-2004, 06:39 AM
The future does not have Lu Bu (do not cross).

Alucard
03-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Banned!!

GodOfCookery
03-16-2004, 05:26 AM
ewww you'd take futuristic sci fi crap over actual history?

man... thanks to this game I know that Vega was really a rip off of a person 1700 years ago named Zhang He! HOW COOL IS THAT!!?

but all that aside, Classic Times, Present Times > Futuristic crap

Nope people who look in the past are lost in the present. Besides looking into the past hasn't helped mankind stopping from repeating their biggest mistakes.

Cobi*
03-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Is there any game out there that isn't repetitive to some degree? I don't think such a title exsists. Therefore to call one game repetitive while ignoring so many others that are just as guilty is something I'm not gonna do.

...and no, I didn't like DMC but I don't hate these types of games; just DMC.

Axe Wielding Nut
03-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by GodOfCookery
Nope people who look in the past are lost in the present. Besides looking into the past hasn't helped mankind stopping from repeating their biggest mistakes.

you have it quite the opposite, looking into the past ENSURES we remember the atrocities and mistakes of the past

which is why we're not dying from every disease that has killed many in the past, and because we haven't nuked anyone yet, and so and so

the future is only cool if its destroyed, like Fallout or Blade Runner

futuristic dog **** like Anarchy online, Crimson Seas, or any piece of **** out there sucks balls, FUCK YOU FUTURISTIC CRAP with all your mecha dog **** and blue people runnin around with dildo's in your head

gearhound1
03-16-2004, 08:28 PM
GASP! YOU = TEH GRAPHIX WHORE!!

GASP! YOU = TEH DYNASTY WARRIORS WHORE!!

besides, I wanna see that uber superior 3d Engine pull off 30 undead skeletons on the screen at the same time!!!

ME TOO

GodOfCookery
03-17-2004, 05:16 AM
you have it quite the opposite, looking into the past ENSURES we remember the atrocities and mistakes of the past

which is why we're not dying from every disease that has killed many in the past, and because we haven't nuked anyone yet, and so and so

Ohh yeah sure, we still kill each other, gread each other, slave each other, spread new diseases through tingering with nature. (and we are doing this since over 2000 years). History has repeated itself at least a dozen times and still we haven't learned to control ourselves.

Okay enough of this philosophic bull****.