PDA

View Full Version : Capcom sponsored site confirmed PS2 Viewtiful Joe

Rubeus
03-11-2004, 12:41 AM
Viewtiful Joe Takes a PS2 Step
Cacpom's sponsored site says that it's coming to PS2.

March 10, 2004 - A few years back, Cacpom Japan planned a little revolt of sorts, a kind of anti-PlayStation 2 dealio, in which the developers at Capcom's various studios vented about the Sony system's annoying architecture and the difficulty they had at making things work well and fast. Capcom was burgeoning with development ideas at the time, and as part of its redirection away from the biggest and most successful system in this generation, the company created The Capcom Five for GameCube.

This list comprised five games for GameCube: Viewtiful Joe, Killer7, Dead Phoenix, PNO3, and Resident Evil 4. Now, however, things have changed. Capcom has either changed its mind about the annoying PS2, or it's realized that the number one selling console in the world isn't such a bad system to make games on (especially if they want to sell them to the biggest possible audience). So, Capcom is seriously thinking about bringing at least two of the five to the PS2 -- Killer7 and Viewtiful Joe.

Though rumors have been flying about these two games for months now (check our interview with Atsushi Inaba at TGS last year for their origin), the reality of these releases took one step close to appearing real on a Capcom officially sponsored fansite early this week. On it, the Fanpimp editor says, "Viewtiful Joe will soon be out on PS2! I want to find out what your favourite sites are for PS2, so send me a list of some super cool sites. I'll give you 100 points for each one you submit! Rad!"

According to IGN's sources, both games were showed to Sony Computer Entertainment America last summer, but Sony turned them down, responding that neither game showed off the PS2's technical strengths well and that Sony might look at them at a later date. Since sales of Viewtiful Joe were respectable for GameCube, it's possible SCEA changed its mind and is indeed considering bringing the cool 2D action game to PS2.

Capcom Entertainment officials, when contacted, had no comment on the games, as neither have been officially announced in North America. We also believe there might be some other snags caused from the SCEA camp, but don't know exactly what they are -- whether they're extra levels, better graphics, price point, We're not sure. Capcom is also believed to be in the works with Viewtiful Joe 2 for GameCube, though Capcom officials again had not comment.

We'll have more on the PS2 versions of Viewtiful Joe and Killer7 in the near future.

--------------------

However, now the game is getting a bit dated, maybe it's a Viewtiful Joe 1.5 for PS2?

IoriYagami n8
03-11-2004, 12:50 AM
We know Killer 7 is in the works, and Viewtiful Joe seems more and more likely (though still not offically confirmed). SCEA is really starting to bug me. First Metal Slug 3, SNK vs Capcom, Samurai Shodown 5, and Street Fighter 2 Anniversary Edition, now Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe. Is SCEA just dumb, or do they aim to only cater to the mainstream gamer? Oh well, even without SCEA at least I can find them on the Cube over here. Unlike previously mentioned titles. I want SF2: Anniversary Edition... :(

Rubeus
03-11-2004, 02:28 AM
It seems that SCEA is behind the problems, preventing all the nice games to show up on PS2. SCEA should really consider layoff all the staffs in the game approval department.

IoriYagami n8
03-11-2004, 04:11 AM
SCEA has always been screwed up in the head. It's a pretty sad thing when your European division out does you. The only time I've really noticed great games missing from European releases was when the developers themselves had no intention of bringing them over. There are quite a few really nice titles that got the axe by SCEA, as opposed to not given the chance by developers. It would be a pretty stupid move not to take up two of another consoles more appealing games.

Maybe now people will quite saying Joe bombed and and various other stupid comments.

Dead Account 01
03-11-2004, 04:24 AM
I find some of that pretty hard to believe. Sure, SCEA has made some pretty dubious decisions (and some not so bad ones...I'm glad several of the ones Iori mentioned were denied), but I find it tough to believe SCEA was shown them last summer and gave them thumbs down.

Too many unnamed sources. Or perhaps I don't want to think SCEA is that stupid. Either way, we'll see what happens. I think SCEA just wants extras in the PS2 version.

Maybe now people will quite saying Joe bombed and and various other stupid comments. VJ may not have "bombed"...but nothing here makes its sales figures any less disappointing.

IoriYagami n8
03-11-2004, 04:48 AM
Disappointing to who? I have yet to see Capcom say they were disappointed with the sales here of Viewtiful Joe.

It's highly likely they were shown early builds of the games last summer (last summer was only about 4-5 months ago). Games are often quite a long time in development before they are announced and shown to the public. There are some exceptions of course. Remember, shortly after the "Capcom 5" were announced Capcom stated that only Resident Evil 4 was Gamecube exclusive, and other titles may later appear on other platforms. Odds are that after Mikami stepped down from head of Product Division 4, PS2 versions were being messed with.

Dead Account 01
03-11-2004, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by IoriYagami n8
Disappointing to who? I have yet to see Capcom say they were disappointed with the sales here of Viewtiful Joe. Really? I could swear I have. I know nothing was said indicating that they were particularly pleased. Considering all its critical acclaim and hype...well, it's certainly disappointing to me. The #'s were hardly inspiring.

It's highly likely they were shown early builds of the games last summer (last summer was only about 4-5 months ago). 7-8 months ago (minimum), more like it. Anyway, I was thinking along the lines of a PS2 version of those games (which would have made them in the works before the GC version was complete). Showed them the GC versions? I guess they could have...but I still wouldn't buy SCEA saying "no".

IoriYagami n8
03-11-2004, 05:32 AM
You're thinking about the beginning of summer. It's like when Silicon Knights and Konami said Metal Gear Solid would be out this winter. They delievered it on time as promised in March. It's still winter, as the first day of Spring is March 20th this year due to leap year, otherwise it would have been March 21st.

Games are rarely finished when shown for approval. If that was the case companies would be wasting a lot of money in development only to have games get denied. In most cases alpha or beta builds are shown (in some cases Japanese versions). This way developers don't waste time developing games that won't be allowed on shelves.

If a company doesn't release a statement about being pleased with sales then that means it's poor? Konami is certainly pleased with how well DDR has picked up outside of Japan, yet I don't recall hearing them say so. If they weren't why are they bringing them over now more then ever? Weither or not you a personally pleased with how a game sells is of little concern. I may be displeased that Final Fantasy X-2 didn't sell over 5 million copies, does that mean it was poor by company standards? Not at all. Companies are happy as long as they bring in some money, most are even satisfied if they break even and can continue to develop games this day and age.

hgblob
03-11-2004, 06:28 AM
SCEA is really starting to bug me. First Metal Slug 3, SNK vs Capcom, Samurai Shodown 5, and Street Fighter 2 Anniversary Edition, now Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe. Is SCEA just dumb, or do they aim to only cater to the mainstream gamer?

At this stage of the PS2's life, I think SCEA gives greater priority to exclusive games that would (hopefully) show off more of the console's strengths. Maybe they weren't so keen on VJ because, well, it'd be 'just' another port.

Mainstreme Fan
03-11-2004, 04:49 PM
I Believe it when I see it.

gearhound1
03-12-2004, 02:59 AM
We know Killer 7 is in the works, and Viewtiful Joe seems more and more likely (though still not offically confirmed). SCEA is really starting to bug me. First Metal Slug 3, SNK vs Capcom, Samurai Shodown 5, and Street Fighter 2 Anniversary Edition, now Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe. Is SCEA just dumb, or do they aim to only cater to the mainstream gamer? Oh well, even without SCEA at least I can find them on the Cube over here. Unlike previously mentioned titles. I want SF2: Anniversary Edition... :(

well, metal slug and SVC are coming to the XBOX. do you have an XBOX?