PDA

View Full Version : ps3 HYPED BY SONY 100X

fantasy_final
03-10-2004, 04:48 PM
http://psx.ign.com/articles/072/072237p1.html

iT SAYS THE PS3 WILL BE 100X MORE POWERFULL THAN PS2.

Nem
03-10-2004, 06:13 PM
its obviously false... i remember when ppl said that the PS2 would be incredibly many times better than the PSone, and it never was THAT powerfull.
Anyways have you tried to picture what 100X the PS2 power means in the graphic difference from the games of today to the games from of those consoles? It cant be such an impressive advancement cause the games are already reaching their graphic peak. I cant imagine much of a difference between Xbox games and PS3 games. (in PS2 games, one can probably see more frames per second, than what the PS2 can manage now, but thats mostly it!).

elchipi
03-10-2004, 07:00 PM
IS ALL HYPE

Dreamkin
03-10-2004, 07:02 PM
They are probably speaking of the clock frequency or the overall speed of the PS3 processor which is not released yet but is about that fast or even faster. This POWER talk started with Xbox I guess. It is funny.

gearhound1
03-10-2004, 09:28 PM
haha 100 times. what a bunch of ****

Magnus
03-10-2004, 11:10 PM
The power talk started with Sony bragging how much more powerful the PS2 would be compared to the Dreamcast. It was taken to further heights when the Xbox was released because it was a lot more powerful than the PS2 graphics wise.

Susano
03-10-2004, 11:57 PM
man - thats an old article...
lot has changed in the world since then...

Alucard
03-11-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Nem
It cant be such an impressive advancement cause the games are already reaching their graphic peak.

Theres still alot they can do with graphics. Right now the PC drops the PS2 in graphics. Theres still a long way to go what with facial expressions, animations, extra stuff happening around. Once a game gets to look like FF-Spirits Within movie, where no matter where you move or whatever you shoot, crap is coming from everywhere and everything is damagable, and even then you can still go a step up with no problems. Heaps still to do.

Icarus4578
03-11-2004, 01:57 AM
Who cares? Just as long as they make good games then that's all that really matters.

SpaceManSpiff
03-11-2004, 02:56 AM
umm guys, it says 1,000x not 100x:D And this very very old news, heard this like 2 years ago.

GodOfCookery
03-11-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Nem
games from of those consoles? It cant be such an impressive advancement cause the games are already reaching their graphic peak.

Uterly bull****, maybe you should once turn your head from your tv screen to the real world and compare what you see, we are not even at the beginning concerning graphics.

Dreamkin
03-11-2004, 08:18 AM
I personally would simply wait and see. All companies hype up their machine before (And after release) The best example would be Sony's FF8 Cutscene in real time thingie. And the entire commercial campaign of Xbox based on the word POWER regardless of the laughable weakness of the system.

TheHardware
03-11-2004, 08:44 AM
well as much as i like graphics...i am more looking forward to physics in a game....i mean punch em in the head and the chest and get diffrent effects ..kick em in the butt or the crotch and get different effects....the way characters walk over different terrain and act in different situations.......

a 1000X more powerful..is crap....but if its 5-6 times more powerful ill be happy....

Axe Wielding Nut
03-11-2004, 09:56 AM
I'll believe graphics have reached their graphical peak once they have photo realistic copies of me on the outskirts of mongolia takin it to those chinese imperialist dogs with my Axe and Steed in hand.. then i'll consider calling it the graphical peak

GodOfCookery
03-12-2004, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by TheHardware
well as much as i like graphics...i am more looking forward to physics in a game....i mean punch em in the head and the chest and get diffrent effects ..kick em in the butt or the crotch and get

Well I'll disagree all this death physics games like Call of Duty and Far Cry are so proud of, IMHO sucks like hell what's so cool about glorifying death? If an enemy is killed he is killed I don't want to play arround with him anymore.

Axe Wielding Nut
03-12-2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by GodOfCookery
Well I'll disagree all this death physics games like Call of Duty and Far Cry are so proud of, IMHO sucks like hell what's so cool about glorifying death? If an enemy is killed he is killed I don't want to play arround with him anymore.

be considerate, just because you don't like playing around with dead people doesn't mean others don't!

Alucard
03-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Well I'd rather they fall well then just have a 1 animation VANISH to the floor. If you think the game is glorifying death, then you've forgotten its just a game. What about all the people who die realisticly in movies?

Ultima_Ninja87
03-12-2004, 02:03 PM
I really can't believe that. The gaming industry is exactly like politics, they give out false statements to make their side sound better, when really they're just doing a half-assed job (but there ARE exceptions). I would like to see what "100x's more powerful than PS2" looks like, that'd be sweet though...

GodOfCookery
03-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Alucard
Well I'd rather they fall well then just have a 1 animation VANISH to the floor. If you think the game is glorifying death, then you've forgotten its just a game. What about all the people who die realisticly in movies?
Well okay it's still far away from Manhunt but still. What happened to the good old Space Invader blob and enemy is gone :).

Well I tell you what about all the people who die realistically every day in the real world?

But I still agree there should be better other animation and physics (especially if I look at titles like X2 ohohohoho the human animation there is so clumsy it really makes you sick). But lots of this stuff is very complicated and some of it is even not well understood or only for a small parameter range or case.

Alucard
03-13-2004, 01:13 AM
Well somethings are good like say Max Payne 2 for example. Everyone you kill who has the realistic style fall is a bad man. You are allowed to kill the bad man and not feel guilty. I pretty much ignored Manhunt.

REDFlELD
03-14-2004, 07:39 PM
IMO the PS3's specifications should be around 3GHz(I don't quite trust the Cell's hype), 512MB RAM..128MB VRAM.
The PS1's CPU is 33Mhz, PS2's 300MHz... so the PS3 should be around 3GHz.

What do you ppl think the specs are going to be?

Dreamkin
03-14-2004, 08:59 PM
CPU clock frequency is not that important. Older people should know that. Remember Amiga... 68000 worked at 7.14 MHz.. but a shiny 80386 working at 33 Mhz easily fell to its knees trying to do the things Amiga did.

GodOfCookery
03-15-2004, 05:18 AM
CPU clock frequency is only important if your CPU has a very long pipeline like the x86 architectures where the worst case is Pentium IV, it needs the high clock rate to compete at all with AMDs.

Alucard
03-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Bow to the legendary status of Amiga.

GodOfCookery
03-16-2004, 05:20 AM
The legend never dies along with NeoGeo MVS (the coolest machines ever are based on 68k cpus)

Cobi*
03-16-2004, 08:50 AM
Actually, it says the PS3 is expected to have 1000X the "performance" of the PS2.

"We are working to create the PlayStation3 game machine so it will have 1,000 times the performance of the PlayStation2."

:D

For reference it also says the PS2 is 300X more poweful than the PSONE... which, apparently, isn't enough for developers.

GodOfCookery
03-17-2004, 05:11 AM
Just a note to cobi: For a developer a machine never can be fast enough, believe me.

Smirnof-X
03-17-2004, 05:06 PM
Whoever that Deuche bag was that said graphics have 'reached their peak' needs his ass kicked. Have you ever seen a matrix movie? Gaming graphics havent even matched 1994's Jurrasic Park (all though that old Model 3 Sega shooter came close...) so wake up dawg.

GodOfCookery
03-18-2004, 06:12 AM
Matrix movie is lame, they still have real actors, lots of real shootings the best full featured cg movie todate even how bad it is stil is FFTSW