PDA

View Full Version : Xbox on a roll!

Havoc2049
07-24-2002, 07:19 PM
Sales have increased by 131% in N. America, since the price drop in May. Project Gotham Racing has also just passed the 1 Million mark. Xbox is the first console ever, to have three titles pass the 1 Million mark in the first 8 months of existence. 10 million games have been shipped for the Xbox worldwide.

I know Microsoft is set to lose a large amount of money on the Xbox next year. Does anyone know if the figures mentioned are just on the sale of the console itself, or does it also include software sales in the projected losses?

Black Sugar
07-24-2002, 07:26 PM
I'm not really surprise to hear these good news. XBox is doing quite alright in North-America, even surpassing the Gamecube sales some sometime.

The problem always been in Japan. Something that they sshould take care of shortly.

Kid0_oIcarus
07-24-2002, 07:39 PM
Man, I was coming here to start the exact same thread AtariX. :D

On topic:
Those PR people will find a way to put a spin on anything.

Bright skies and sunny days ahead for Microsoft, then?

b0b
07-24-2002, 07:48 PM
I think the figures are based soley on hardware costs, you can't predict software sales, but if the franciase's thread is any indecation then MS has a quite a few more million sellers coming in 2002-2003

Black Ace
07-24-2002, 08:52 PM
um source?

Pikachu
07-24-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by AtariX
Sales have increased by 131% in N. America, since the price drop in May. Project Gotham Racing has also just passed the 1 Million mark. Xbox is the first console ever, to have three titles pass the 1 Million mark in the first 8 months of existence. 10 million games have been shipped for the Xbox worldwide.

I don't think so, EA has sold more than 1 million copies of Madden NFL when PS2 was first released, Tekken Tag has also passed 1 million, and Sony has sold 3 million copies of Gran Turismo 3, just slightly more than half a year after PS2 was launched here!

DBJAY
07-25-2002, 12:48 AM
There is an important clarification.

Xbox set the record for having 3 launch titles (Halo, DOA3, PGR) sell more than a million copies.

Sony has more million + sellers, but those were not "launch" titles for the PS2. Sony's first huge million seller in Japan was Onimusah, and in the US, Gran Turismo 3 both which came out 6 months or later after launch.

Havoc2049
07-25-2002, 10:19 AM
http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=3470

Here is a link to one of the sites that posted the story. The figures come from NPD. My original post is also wrong, 10 million games have been sold in the US, 20 million worldwide. The 20 million seems kinda high to me, but that is what Microsoft is saying.

aneep
07-25-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by WINDJAMMERS

How much of that 20 million games do you think sold? Let's say 7.5 million people own Xboxes. The average owner has 2 games. That's still 5 million games sitting on the shelves.

I don't know if that is a lot of games, or if my numbers are accurate. It is just something to think about.

16+ million, not far from your guess (though your xbox userbase is too high, actually it the software to hw ratio that is high for the Xbox, higher than PS2 in the same timeframe too)

-aneep-

b0b
07-25-2002, 06:37 PM
Microsoft says they have the highest software to hardware attach rate of any system, they say on average a person buy 2-3 games with the box, which with this million seller news seems plausible assuming everyone buying an Xbox gets Halo, DOA 3 and or Project Gotham Racing,

- Microsoft announced they will launch the Xbox in 6 countries within this year, include South Korea, Hong Kong, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore and Taiwan.

That's good news as these are hot beds for online gaming hopefully Korea developers can add some games that the japanese will desire to the Xbox Lineup

WINDJAMMERS
07-25-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by AtariX
The 20 million seems kinda high to me, but that is what Microsoft is saying.

How much of that 20 million games do you think sold? Let's say 7.5 million people own Xboxes. The average owner has 2 games. That's still 5 million games sitting on the shelves.
EDIT: Corrected Numbers
4 million Xboxes x 3 games average= around 12 million games sold
8 million games on the shelves

Wow I was off on my first guess!

I don't know if that is a lot of games, or if my numbers are accurate. It is just something to think about.

Black Sugar
07-25-2002, 07:01 PM
While I do enjoy your excitement each time you hear a good new about X-box AtariX... ^-^! (I really do)

Don't put your trust in any kind of number given by the compagny themselves. These numbers are always wrong.

This also goes for Nintendo and Sony too!

HFIL
07-26-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by b0b
Microsoft says they have the highest software to hardware attach rate of any system, they say on average a person buy 2-3 games with the box, which with this million seller news seems plausible assuming everyone buying an Xbox gets Halo, DOA 3 and or Project Gotham Racing,

- Microsoft announced they will launch the Xbox in 6 countries within this year, include South Korea, Hong Kong, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore and Taiwan.

That's good news as these are hot beds for online gaming hopefully Korea developers can add some games that the japanese will desire to the Xbox Lineup

Thats people who walk out the door w/ a system and games... usually buy 2-3 games.. which is alot.. I bought 2.. Halo and Munch's Odysee... now I have 6 total.. so I don't think that they are just sitting on shelves..

WINDJAMMERS
07-26-2002, 03:40 PM
HWhat is the average amount of games per person then? 4?

aneep
07-26-2002, 05:30 PM
according to NPDFunworld, the software to hw ratio for Xbox in the US is 4+:1 (forgot the exact figire, but it was close to 5)

PS2 is 5+:1 (close to 5)
GC is at 3+:1(close to 4)

so

in US, 2.5 million Xbox (figure from Activision conference call) * 4.7 (my guess, derived from NPD numbers) = 11.75 million software sold in US

the rest, is from other regions (adds up to 16+ million units, numbers from NPD also if i remember correctly. 20 million units has shipped worlwide)

and Windjammer, when u guess numbers, atleast do it with more research :)

8 million games on the shelf my ass

-aneep-